• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Repost

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
UssReaganCQ17.jpg

One of the nice things about crewing an aircraft where you are alone in the back is that nobody can take incriminating photos like this one.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Oh, the pilots love a sleeping AW.

Setting off the RAWS is a good way to wake one up :icon_smil

AW's do NOT sleep in their aircraft while it is flight. ;) There is always a very good reason they don't hear you calling them on the ICS.

The sensor operator in the H-2 was not privileged enough to be able to hear the RAWS tone. We just trusted the stick-throttle interconnect to pay attention to those sort of things. ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
AW's do NOT sleep in their aircraft while it is flight. ;) There is always a very good reason they don't hear you calling them on the ICS.

Riiiiight. I guess I must have imagined staring right at the drool of our squadron LPO AW...

The sensor operator in the H-2 was not privileged enough to be able to hear the RAWS tone.

They actually don't in the Bravo, either. But for our friend in my above example, a good 45 degree bank w/ bottomed collective and a "Oh CRAP!" did the trick. After he hopped out to grab us some sweet bread at Moloka'i, we called it even.

MasterBates

Cycling the RADALT will momentarily kick the RADALT signal on the display down then back.

Not 100% sure of the switchology in the back, but if they have their alt warning set, it beeps at them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Cycling the RADALT will momentarily kick the RADALT signal on the display down then back.

Not 100% sure of the switchology in the back, but if they have their alt warning set, it beeps at them.

I know of no beeps, but maybe I misunderstood. When I asked as a junior 2P, I was told it's just the flashing RADALT on their MPD. I never heard beeps when I was in the back, but again, maybe it was switchology (and not the rescue station, because I HATED being on that thing and usually refused to be on it if there was only one AW in the back).

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
They actually don't in the Bravo, either. But for our friend in my above example, a good 45 degree bank w/ bottomed collective and a "Oh CRAP!" did the trick.

Not that it ever happened to me, but in the H-2 it would be bottomed collective, the main door being thrown all the way open / back, and a little left pedal to get some wind in the back. No ICS calls required (we weren't hearing them anyway).