• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Repost

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
My thoughts:

There is the occasional redundant thread that survives to juvenile state. The new V-22 one being the best example. Stuff that needs to be re-hashed does get through the mod squad (probably 'cause they let it through) on a consistant enough basis.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
What you perhaps don't see is when a hot topic (aircraft mishap) or edgy YouTube video occurs, it's very routine for several threads to pop up almost simultaneously so Mods are always on the prowl for that situation. Furthermore, adopting you suggestion would tend to have hair-trigger posters that want to be first to post on a topic without using the search feature, which is virtually instantaneous. If you really think something posted before is topical and timeless, you can always revive the old thread with a new post, which saves us from having to merge it. It still pops up as a recent topic and gets everyone's attention. The only difference is you don't get billing as the thread starter. There are a number of new members who are doing a laudable job of data mining old threads and making comments on them (check out Nose). Why not give that a try?

Yeh, good point heyjoe.

FlyMikeFly

pilot
Contributor
Consider it like this: When something changes... then it's time to post about it. Things are always changing in the Navy., so there will always be posts to make. Besides, this is a website to share information and ask questions about flying, the navy, and careers. This is NOT designed as a website to share poetry.

Not just "sharing poetry". I included those writings in the Required Reading section because they are classic aviation poems.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Not just "sharing poetry". I included those writings in the Required Reading section because they are classic aviation poems.

Oh, silly me... and I thought that the "Required Reading" forum was specifically had the subtitle that stated: This forum is devoted to ongoing threads that will inform you, point you the right direction, and get you up to speed on some of the topics discussed on Airwarriors. Also, typically... a required Reading forum is where MODERATORS put posts so they don't die... typically locked, and discussing such things as forum rules and customs... FAQ's, etc.

If you'd like, maybe ask the mods and they'll open up a "Poetry Corner" for you... or post them in the "Miscellaneous" forum... Or, just realize that everyone has probably had those same poems e-mailed to them by family or friends... or has seen them posted in people's offices on base... or read them in a book on their own... or got bored one night and found them via google...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As the one who locked the squirrel thread, and others in the past, thought I'd throw in my thoughts. Unfortunately, HeyJoe, as usual, has expressed the same idea w/ great clarity.

If you notice, I didn't just put "Repost" and lock it. I gave you the exact thread (and others do this as well) where it was discussed before so you can go back and read everything there and then add comments as appropriate. As HeyJoe, HH, and others have said, it's a pain in the ass to search through multiple threads on the same subject, and since this particular thread wasn't much more than just a standard YouTube video, there's no need to merge it.

Webmaster continues to tell me that bandwidth and server size isn't an issue, which is great, but in the in the interest of saving people's time including my own, I just put one simple word in a post and move on.

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Don't repost

Smiles, of course.

FlyMikeFly

pilot
Contributor
Oh, silly me... and I thought that the "Required Reading" forum was specifically had the subtitle that stated: This forum is devoted to ongoing threads that will inform you, point you the right direction, and get you up to speed on some of the topics discussed on Airwarriors. Also, typically... a required Reading forum is where MODERATORS put posts so they don't die... typically locked, and discussing such things as forum rules and customs... FAQ's, etc.

If you'd like, maybe ask the mods and they'll open up a "Poetry Corner" for you... or post them in the "Miscellaneous" forum... Or, just realize that everyone has probably had those same poems e-mailed to them by family or friends... or has seen them posted in people's offices on base... or read them in a book on their own... or got bored one night and found them via google...

Smart a$$.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree. Make relevant meaningful posts and everything is fine.

To post a youtube video link and say "Look at this video, see what I found...look at me..." is a waste of time.

Amen A4s.
UssReaganCQ17.jpg

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Should I no longer post my cutting edge youtube finds?? :icon_wink