• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Repost

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Alright, I have to get something off my chest and I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers with this. I have seen numerous posts recently where someone snaps back and says that the thread is a repost, often times even closing out the thread so no one can discuss it. I understand that some of the salty Airwarriors with 1,000+ posts have probably already seen the content, but there are many who have not and it is unlikely that newcomers will find some of the older posts. Sometimes people are told that they should have done a search before asking a question or making certain comments. I say this is a bad way to make this site open and welcoming to anyone and everyone who has an interest in Naval Aviation. If you notice that something is a repost, why not just let it fly? It might bring up some great discussions that didn't happen previously.

Bottom line: Don't be the grouchy old salt dog who thinks just because they've seen everything on this forum that FNGs can't participate too, that's a good way to turn people off from joining. Can I get an amen? :icon_smil

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
I also think trying to determine someone's tone and inflection from their typing is a jump. Saying someone is snapping back because they type the word Repost is like saying that because I don't put commas and periods in the exact right places when I type means I speak like a retard...take a breath and relax dude. This is one of the most well maintained, accurate, clean, and well moderated sites I have ever seen and it is all because of those people with 1,000+ posts making sure it is that way.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
As a token FNG I agree with Mike. There's alot of stuff newbies like me and others aren't gonna see without a little leg-work. Granted, if we want to see it, we'll USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, but some stuff is random, or funny, or both. We might not know (or care) that it exists until someone breaks that golden rule of airwarriors and re-posts it. An occasional resurrection of some material can't be a bad thing.

I also agree with the point that this is the best maintained forum on the net. Period. Especially considering that many of the mods are active duty, and have very little time in the "real" world. Thanks for all you do guys

I'd give you rep, Mike, but i'm not worth a damn. I've got a sinking suspicion that I will remain that way after posting this, but what the hell, right? :D

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Alot of times, the "use the search function" comes when a newbie asks questions like "What's an NFO do?" or "How long is OCS?" Stuff along that lines can be searched.

As for the repost thing, its not so much a snap as it is saying "hey, this was here before", as alot of us have seen the same stuff multiple times. We do realize that some stuff is hard to find using the search function, or that it won't turn up what you're looking for.

So, just use the search and quit reposting :icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright, I have to get something off my chest and I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers with this. I have seen numerous posts recently where someone snaps back and says that the thread is a repost, often times even closing out the thread so no one can discuss it. I understand that some of the salty Airwarriors with 1,000+ posts have probably already seen the content, but there are many who have not and it is unlikely that newcomers will find some of the older posts. Sometimes people are told that they should have done a search before asking a question or making certain comments. I say this is a bad way to make this site open and welcoming to anyone and everyone who has an interest in Naval Aviation. If you notice that something is a repost, why not just let it fly? It might bring up some great discussions that didn't happen previously.

Bottom line: Don't be the grouchy old salt dog who thinks just because they've seen everything on this forum that FNGs can't participate too, that's a good way to turn people off from joining. Can I get an amen? :icon_smil

For the love of God. Why in the world should we waste people's time and Webmaster's bandwidth with trivial Youtube videos on the off-hand chance that some Johnny come lately may not have seen it? I could see if it were a pressing issue or current event that was important to what this site is about, but you're wanking about a fucking Youtube video of some BASE jumpers - you can't be serious. This is exactly what 90% of the reposts are - ridiculous videos which, IMO, don't even belong on this site in the first place.

Brett

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
You mean that guys in flying squirrel suits are not apart of Naval Aviation? Again, why am I joining?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor

Ok, now that all of the joking is over, here is my take:

The 'REPOST' and the 'SEARCH' issues are separate.

'REPOST'
I think people do jump to that a little quick sometimes, but I think it is most often used (correctly) when some non aviation thing pops up (silly YouTube video, urban legend chain email, etc.) It was funny one time, but we don't really need to take up space around here with some of that crap.

Also, the REPOST flag goes up when multiple people post current news type info/links. It's great that everyone is sharing, but we don't need multiple threads discussing the same exact thing at the same time. It doesn't make for an organized or orderly forum.

'SEARCH'
TheBubba is right on. Most times when people ask basic, basic questions, it's obvious they haven't made any effort to look around first. This site has been around since 02/03? There is a solid 4 years' worth of great info on here, and if you don't want to spend the time to take a look at what other's have spent the time to share, why would anyone share now?

For the people who do share lots of info, it can get tedious to type the same thing over and over, especially when it is obvious it won't be read beyond tomorrow. They would also like to spend their time contributing to other topics more interesting and/or relevant to what they are currently doing in life.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
For the love of God. Why in the world should we waste people's time and Webmaster's bandwidth with trivial Youtube videos on the off-hand chance that some Johnny come lately may not have seen it? I could see if it were a pressing issue or current event that was important to what this site is about, but you're wanking about a fucking Youtube video of some BASE jumpers - you can't be serious. This is exactly what 90% of the reposts are - ridiculous videos which, IMO, don't even belong on this site in the first place.

Brett

Amen.

I get tired of everyone e-mailing the same pro-military Forwards to me... And I hate seeing the same you-tubes/jokes/poems/fwd e-mails posted on here over and over.

Also, I wasn't going to say anything... but FlyMikeFly, you have 176 posts as of right now... and are a "contributor"... and your recent postings have smacked of the stuff most guys put up as the "hey I'm new here and have 6 posts" type of stuff... including this thread. Plus you've opened like 8 threads this weekend. Speaking as a guy with not as many posts as you, and knowing you've had an account on here even longer than me... what's with your sudden "newbishness" (for lack of a better term).

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Speaking as a guy with not as many posts as you, and knowing you've had an account on here even longer than me... what's with your sudden "newbishness" (for lack of a better term).

I guess this all relates to one old adage..."if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". Maybe next time I feel thread-happy, I should just keep it to myself.

So pretty soon, once all subject matter has been discussed on here, there will be no reason to start any new threads or posts because everything will relate back to something that has been discussed before. We'll give newcomers a disclaimer that before they are worthy of posting, they must go through an exhaustive search of the forum in order to be up to speed with everyone else.

I still don't agree, but I'll give it up. :icon_rage

By the way, thanks KBay for opening this up again.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sometimes people are told that they should have done a search before asking a question or making certain comments. I say this is a bad way to make this site open and welcoming to anyone and everyone who has an interest in Naval Aviation. If you notice that something is a repost, why not just let it fly? It might bring up some great discussions that didn't happen previously.

I don't think any of the 30+ mods are against "great discussions" at all. In fact, that is a prime objective of the forum. If the topic is a repost, it isn't always shut down. Sometimes it is merged into the older topic so new folks don't have to search and can have immediate benefit of newer dialogue and the older posts without searching at all. This also helps the site remain relevant as a resource (very untidy to have 10 threads on similar topics for someone hunting for a answer). That's part of regular pruning that goes on. I actually like it when the alert "regulars" announce a topic as a "repost". I then check to see if it makes sense to merge the thread(s).

What you perhaps don't see is when a hot topic (aircraft mishap) or edgy YouTube video occurs, it's very routine for several threads to pop up almost simultaneously so Mods are always on the prowl for that situation. Furthermore, adopting you suggestion would tend to have hair-trigger posters that want to be first to post on a topic without using the search feature, which is virtually instantaneous. If you really think something posted before is topical and timeless, you can always revive the old thread with a new post, which saves us from having to merge it. It still pops up as a recent topic and gets everyone's attention. The only difference is you don't get billing as the thread starter. There are a number of new members who are doing a laudable job of data mining old threads and making comments on them (check out Nose). Why not give that a try?

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I agree with fly Mike. Even if something is a repost then just post a comment saying so. No need to lock it. A lot of things are hard to search for; 1. To know if it is a repost and B. Not try to ask the same question. Just see what a search turns up for "Jets, NFO, Video, Joke, ASTB, OCS,...." Just about every thread here have the same words. It's not like a truck forum where I can do a specific search for "meth injection". Here is it hard to find the right info that is not in a thread from 2 years ago that might have outdated info. The other problem is threads get locked, but then the 200 mods on the site continue to post in the locked thread. If you are going to do that then why lock it? If something is a repost or could be found in a search then why not delete the thread all together? If it is eating up bandwidth then get rid of it, don't just lock it. I have never seen so many locked threads as I have seen here.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
So pretty soon, once all subject matter has been discussed on here, there will be no reason to start any new threads or posts because everything will relate back to something that has been discussed before.

Consider it like this: When something changes... then it's time to post about it. Things are always changing in the Navy., so there will always be posts to make. Besides, this is a website to share information and ask questions about flying, the navy, and careers. This is NOT designed as a website to share poetry.