• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

remember when helmets looked cool?

phrogpilot73

I'd be more pissed about them taking my stuff since I open purchased my oregon aero stuff.
I would have been pissed, but mine was open purchased by my old squadron. Had I bought and paid for it - I would have had some choice words for the Gunny that thinks he's god.

MasterBates

How the fuck did that happen? They straight up took your helmet and gave it to someone else?

Yep. Had a Gucci HGU-84, They gave it to a West Coast hinge and I got a shitty 68. It had been my personal helmet for 8 years, and had a custom tape job from my old det
Sent via my HTC EVO 4G

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Yep. Had a Gucci HGU-84, They gave it to a West Coast hinge and I got a shitty 68. It had been my personal helmet for 8 years, and had a custom tape job from my old det
Sent via my HTC EVO 4G

I would be having some choice words with the PR1 or PRC then having a talk with MMCO.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Sent via my HTC EVO 4G

I had my o2 mask lifted from my locker at the RAG, I finally tracked it down after going through about 3/4 of the loft lockers one night and found out from some pr2 it was "surrendered" to an O5 who flew with the RAG squadron as a guest. Needless to say I liberated it and had the hard plastic engraved with my name and it now resides on my bookcase with my helmet, fuckers.

Man I would have flipped my shit if someone took my helmet, not to mention if it was all 'pimped' out with my own personal tape job, what kind of asshole does a thing like that?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My understanding was that soft seals were OK but hush-kits were a no-no, but I've never actually read the instruction. I'd be more pissed about them taking my stuff since I open purchased my oregon aero stuff.

That was my understanding as well, but I think at some point (a few years ago), there was confusion about what constitutes a hush kit versus just soft-seals. I thought, at one point, that a hush kit had the active noise reduction system (which was never approved and had a very short half-life around ships), but have since learned that it was a kit versus just the soft seals.

I think lowflier sums it up best, though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would be having some choice words with the PR1 or PRC then having a talk with MMCO.

Exactly. At my last command when I first checked in, the PR1 took my extra gucci gear out of my vest (Seal Pup and a few extras) and stashed it away. They also non-RFI'ed my helmet (no big deal) but didn't take out my Oregon Aero stuff. Getting my new helmet taken care of wasn't too big a deal, but the PR1 told me that "the wing had a standard and because I had non-standard gear, they had to remove it." Not completely unplausible in the land of LAMPS East, but I told him I was authorized 4 pounds, and if he needed to count it as that, that's fine. He knew I was right and backed down but it pissed me off. It was just about being lazy and having to redo all the paperwork with some extra gear.

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
Just gave away your helmet? And here I was mad a few months ago when my gear disappeared only to be found taken by SECNAV and left on USS Boat. At least mine was returned eventually.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
They straight up took your helmet and gave it to someone else?

And with that, I think we've come to the crux of this thread, and discovered why most of us no longer have "cool" helmets. . .

"This is why we can't have nice things."

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
6070569780_b283ee203a.jpg

BRAIN BUCKET

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Since we are bitching about PR's... why is an new piddle pack in your g-suit pocket "not authorized" and removed for random inspections?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Since we are bitching about PR's... why is an new piddle pack in your g-suit pocket "not authorized" and removed for random inspections?

As has been said before, because inspectors are not operators. But don't worry, they're here to help.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Because they make a ridiculous suction/pressure pair of boxer briefs for that now.

/saw that at Norfolk swim qual
//PMA-202: "look at all this cool gear your PRs can try to order, but will never receive or will be laughed at by higher before they deny your request"

navyao

Okay, I know "Flaps" started this almost a year ago but I'm looking for a photo or some suggestions regarding where else I can look for a photo of a specific type of aircrew helmet. What I'm looking for is a photo or two of the HGU-33 helmet VF-102 would've worn back in the mid to late 80's and early 90's. I'm pretty sure the HGU-33 is the same style Flaps posted photos of when he was in VF-1 and what he wore as a FUBIJAR. Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

USMC "PR's" are the only PR's I have ever seen do such ludicrous inspections. Nearly everyone in my RAG class had their CEP's taken from them as "un-authorized" and never returned. Luckily for me, I always put them in my helmet bag and took the bag with me when I was done flying. Our visors were also all collected, and then distributed at will. Ended up with a fantastic one with giant gouges on it. They also took all of our visor covers and gave them to IP's or who knows where. Then out the door, they gave me like half of the required items for my vest. Fleet PR's were super psyched about that when I checked in. Luckily we have PR's in the Navy who actually work for their paycheck.