• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

remember when helmets looked cool?

Renegade One

None
Little preview of the JSF helmet.
As much as these things undoubtedly cost, is there really no way that a factory-finish white reflective surface with clear coat on it can't be done? The hand-taping is kind of like brush painting your otherwise "cherry" 1963 Corvette...
Perhaps the white stuff is just for the test community and fleet helmets will be TPS gray? I'm guessing probably not for the "over-water" crowd...

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re: "Noted...but I'm probably missing your point..."

its inconvient for the pilot to reach over to the right side to select master arm on. on the left side he can just reach up with his left hand and still hang onto the stick with his right

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
its inconvient for the pilot to reach over to the right side to select master arm on. on the left side he can just reach up with his left hand and still hang onto the stick with his right

Cool example. How much HOTAS was available in early model Turkeys?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i think the term "HOTAS" came out a bit after the f-14a, but major mode changes (A/A, A/G) and general weapon system operation (auto acquisition, etc.) for the pilot was light years ahead of the f-4 and f-8

Renegade One

None
Is this a "laudatory" comment about the HMI in the F-14 because something else you may have flown was somehow otherwise? Serious question...not slapping back at you.
All I can say (until I knows bettah...) is that the design was fairly specifically chosen for a lot of reasons...primarily so that the pilot had to take deliberate specific, conscious actions to go MASTER ARM "ON". Pretty hard to FU...although some did. (Yeah, there's a "sea story" there. More accurately, a "Fallon Story"...).:)

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i dunno. i was a member of the f-14d aircrew system advisory panel (ASAP) back in the '80's and having the master arm swith on the left was one of the few things everybody agreed on.

Renegade One

None
Back to "helmets looking cool": The very most "dweebiest" Navy flight helmet is still way cooler than whatever the sorry sad-sacks that you guys and gals graduated from high school or college with are wearing...TRUST me.
I love you all for earning the right to wear 'em...

Renegade One

None
Fellow "AirWarrior" Helolumpy has kindly nudged me that my remarks above may be taken for other than what I intended...
If you are wearing "any headgear" emblematic of service to our Nation...be it a protective cranial device (aircrew, flight deck, Kevlar), a beret, a "Dixie Cup", a ship's/squadron ballcap, or whatever...I salute each and every one of you. Did NOT mean to sound elitist....except on the side of those who CHOOSE to wear the cloth of their nation...when none of you had to.
Thanks, Lumpy...spot on advice.

brownshoe

Contributor
Fellow "AirWarrior" Helolumpy has kindly nudged me that my remarks above may be taken for other than what I intended...
If you are wearing "any headgear" emblematic of service to our Nation...be it a protective cranial device (aircrew, flight deck, Kevlar), a beret, a "Dixie Cup", a ship's/squadron ballcap, or whatever...I salute each and every one of you. Did NOT mean to sound elitist....except on the side of those who CHOOSE to wear the cloth of their nation...when none of you had to.
Thanks, Lumpy...spot on advice.

With pride, baby!:) AO, PC, GSE, and security (didn't like the last very much:D ).

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
A legit question. Also not intending to be snarky: are y'all going to be full-time Gunslingers or just part-time? I'm assuming the latter. Safe assumption?
Above my pay grade. I would guess part time is a safe assumption (just like everything else we do), but then again, HSM is doing all of the ASW now, so that does free up some training cycles for HSC CVW to become better shooters. I know there is still a big discussion about NCEA -- the outcome of that should give you a good idea about how serious Big Navy is about us being gunslingers.

HueySAR

I never actually refused to wear a helmet on any of my P-3 flights UNTIL...

Preface this story with the fact that as a P-3 backender, we never got helmet covers!

After an extended "patrol" mission over a Pacific-rim-ish country we landed at a small outlying field in the middle of nowhere to fuel from a big bladder protected by marines. My TacCo(no offense) got on ICS and stated "Chief, make sure you wear your helmet for protection down there in case the bad guys start shooting". I responded "Understand you want me to wear a helmet covered in reflective tape...at night...where people may very well WANT to shoot at me?"

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I never actually refused to wear a helmet on any of my P-3 flights UNTIL...

Preface this story with the fact that as a P-3 backender, we never got helmet covers!

After an extended "patrol" mission over a Pacific-rim-ish country we landed at a small outlying field in the middle of nowhere to fuel from a big bladder protected by marines. My TacCo(no offense) got on ICS and stated "Chief, make sure you wear your helmet for protection down there in case the bad guys start shooting". I responded "Understand you want me to wear a helmet covered in reflective tape...at night...where people may very well WANT to shoot at me?"

Duh... everyone knows that flight helmets can stop bullets up to 7.62 x 39.

Sheepdip

Contributor
It's the Optimized TopOwl helmet by Thales. Not just Cobras, Hueys use them as well.

It's beefy in the back because of magnetic tracking, so the helicopter knows where you are looking. It's beefy in the front because the sun visor goes over the display module.
The original one was a little sleeker, but it didn't work too well in the NVG NOE environment, this is the compromise that lets you use ANVS-9's.

Edit:
This is the original. All the virtual HUD stuff was displayed on the whole visor instead of a smaller display module.

TopOwl_Thales.jpg

What's the function of the optics on the sides? NVG or IR? Is it projected onto the display?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
NVG Tubes with imagery projected on the visor. I believe there was also an option for binocular daytime imagery. I haven't used the old one, so I am unsure of all the specifics.