• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

remember when helmets looked cool?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Absolutely love my 2-piece. The combat top is a huge benefit in the summertime. Funny how we get something functional, convenient, and good looking and less than a year after it's introduced some uniform board tries to get rid of it. I've heard that the green 2-piece suits are even better. (Which I find interesting that we are moving to make them at all and that the stupid message does away with desert INCONUS ..as for years there has been a move to make all of our flight suits coyote since that is the 1 color that works best in every environment.)
The only reason I like my two piece is because of the combat top. Other than that it's kind of "meh", but then again I have an LRIP one that doesn't quite match the current config. I've heard that two piece green flightsuits are on the way to allow two piece use past 1OCT11.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of flight suits, WTF is with the new contractor making them? I know the quality has taken a nosedive in recent years, but now it's a choice between legs that are too short and big long gorilla arms.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They definitely are cutting them smaller too. I can cinch the velcro on the ones I was issued in API all the way tight, but the ones I got a couple months ago are definitely smaller in the waist and chest. Cue fat jokes.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Guess they'll have to start making vanity sizes in flight suits now.

Yeah, Mid, it's the flight suits getting smaller....uh huh...

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
dirtbag contractor brain bucket. (issued in '85)
6011091345_ae0b17727c_z.jpg
6011640882_e495689044_z.jpg

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
In regards to the "how much has to be light colored tape" question I offer the following example. The helmet you see below was issued to me in the Spring of 1984. I was "syllabus complete" in the RAG and doing the usual waiting for orders to the fleet squadron. When my helmet came in, I was given the option of waiting on the paraloft to tape it up or I could do it myself. All of the white (or what used to be white 17 years ago) tape was applied by yours truly. I was advised by the FRAC Senior Chief to do white only, as the fleet squadron will put on their "tape scheme" when you check in. I strayed a bit and added my initials in red. Once I got to HSL-33, they put on the rest of the red you see. Along both sides of the long, red stripes were also long, blue stripes. Shortly after my arrival, an instruction was released giving new percentages of reflective tape helmet covering. I forget the exact numbers, but I want to say it was something ridiculous like 90% white and the other 10% had to be "light" colored as well. This instruction deemed the blue reflective tape "too dark", as in , "not reflective enough" and was subsequently removed. So you could have whatever designs you wanted as long it was only 10% of the helmet surface area and was made from red or yellow tape. Not many takers. The hull number you see (DDG 994) was added while on det aboard said ship.

helmet01.JPG

helmet02.JPG

helmet03.JPG

helmet04.JPG

helmet05.JPG

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^ I'm just a bit jealous anytime someone mentions cruising on a 993- the superior air conditioning (according to legend better than any of the other classes of smallboys), that's the only reason why. :)

Probably a better question is if people referred to them as 993s, Kidds, or something else?

phrogpilot73

I was about to make fun of the Princess Leah, but then I realized the pigtail, pre-amp, and boom mic are the exact same as what's on my helmet now.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
^^^ I'm just a bit jealous anytime someone mentions cruising on a 993- the superior air conditioning (according to legend better than any of the other classes of smallboys), that's the only reason why. :)

Probably a better question is if people referred to them as 993s, Kidds, or something else?

We referred to them as Kidd-class. And the Callaghan was damn fine boat. Our det all knew we were lucky to be on a Kidd-class ship. She was only four years old when I sailed on her. Yes, the air-conditioning worked as advertised and was put to good use in the Gulf of Oman during the Summer of 1985.

I have also heard the term Khomeni-class used for the 993s.

phrogpilot73

This actually kind of surprises me. I thought they would have changed all of the helmet/ICS hookups to a common/standardized setup by now.
Don't forget, I fly a platform that was first introduced to the fleet in 1964. The bird I flew tonight was delivered to the USMC in 1969. However, my pigtail didn't change from flight school to the fleet, nor did my boom mic. They only added a pre-amp when I got to the RAG...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It kind of looks like the connector is the same one used on the -57. The -60 has as different connector, kind of like a 1/4 inch phono plug, but shorter.

Fun fact: The Army's connector is slightly different than the Navy (or at least the Bravo) connector. When I had a Blackhawk pilot in the back pointing out some landmarks on a flight, he could hear but couldn't talk because his male connector just wasn't quite long enough. Many jokes ensued.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It kind of looks like the connector is the same one used on the -57. The -60 has as different connector

I agree.

Maybe Bell and Kaman got them from the same place way back when... for comparison, can anyone say if the H-3 and H-60 connectors are the same? Lumpy? Kow?

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
2.jpg3.jpg 1.jpg
Navy issue helmets were pieces of crap back in the 70's.......your choice of 3 sizes, hard plastic shells with styrofoam inside and foam pad inserts used to adjust for fit, ear pieces that hardened in what seemed like a very short time. They tended to slide down over your face when pulling G's. Many would hand cut the visor housing to provide a little more "look-up" capability when looking back and up over your shoulder. After getting to fleet squadrons, we usually acquired form-fit helmets from a private source at our own cost or some squadrons even absorbed the cost for privately procured, quality form-fits that didn't give you hot spots on your head after an hour of wearing. After arriving at VT-22 in 1981 for my instructor tour, the Navy finally started issuing an improved helmet with fabric-lined, small bubble-wrap for padding that was actually fit to your head. Since many if not most of us instructors already had high quality form fits, we bribed the PR's into getting with the Corrosion Control guys and painting our Navy-issued helmets in an airshow quality paint job. This was our static display airshow helmet that we kept at home and only used on special occasions, so as to not get the PR's in trouble for maintaining an unapproved item. This was their product. We thought they did a great job.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Since I broached the subject of "Unapproved Flightgear", the PR's in my last couple of duty assignments had a love/hate relationship with me. They made me promise I would never leave any of the following described items in my gear when I wasn't flying. I acquired some spare parts and using some epoxy, and soldering equipment, fashioned my own boom mic setup, which was strictly verboten, but sure was handy flying in the adversary business my last 10 years as a TAR. The lower portion of the pictured apparatus plugged into the standard O2 regulator setup, between the the helmet plug and the lower portion. I placed a small toggle switch in the portion where the boom mic plugged in and could toggle back and forth between the O2 mask mic and the boom mic. I still had the boom mic from T-34B days at Saufley and modified a standard bayonet fitting to adapt it.......just take the mask off and snap it to the torso harness, insert the boom mic, and flip the switch.
1.jpg2.jpg