• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Refueling Basket (current) dimensions???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I always thought that the A-3 looked massively underpowered for it's size and weight. Any truth to that thought from your time in the seat?
It was underpowered ... on one occasion during my VQ-1 'LSO X-train checkout' ... I took off on RW25 @ CUBI ... hot ... not extraordinarily heavy ... and Grande Island just sat there ... and sat there ... and sat there in the windscreen ... "IT'S GETTING AWFUL BIG, ISN'T IT ??!!" I opined :eek: ... and then ... we found our 'wings' and up & away we went ...

And then again one time ... while following a VQ Whale from CUBI back to USS BOAT @ Yankee ... I had to almost pull max EGT just to keep up w/ her -- at altitude. She was 'fast' ..

Bottom line: a 'tough & fussy' bird down low and in the pattern ... but at altitude ... she was makin' bacon ... :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And then again one time ... while following a VQ Whale from CUBI back to USS BOAT @ Yankee ... I had to almost pull max EGT just to keep up w/ her -- at altitude. She was 'fast' ..

Bottom line: a 'tough & fussy' bird down low and in the pattern ... but at altitude ... she was makin' bacon ... :)

That is what all of the old Whale guys said in in my first squadron, she could haul ass up high, once she got there. Kinda the opposite of the Prowler.......;) It was fast and easy to get from point A to point B, though that was all they really did, going back and forth, back and forth.......

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Some more old pics from deep within the archives. First practice plugs in the A-7E (VA-174), TA-4J tanker (VA-45), February 1978.

10620090011.jpg

Tanking during CAG-20 ACDUTRA, NAS Fallon, early 1987. VC-13 A-4E's, VAK-208 KA-3.

10620090041.jpg

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
It was underpowered ...
Bottom line: a 'tough & fussy' bird down low and in the pattern ...

True dat!! We had a DET from "Heavy Nine", out of Sanford, aboard Sara on my first cruise...was a "nugget" just out of the RAG, early 1960's. As I recall, most of the "Whale" guys did not appreciate the bird...to the point that at least one of their pilots, possibly two, DOR'ed right on the spot after a tough night recovery...also had a Whale parked on the flight deck, forward of the island, for much of the cruise, awaiting off-load (by crane)...a/c had no nose gear, was resting on the forward fuselage...skin all wrinkled up on the star'd side...

On that cruise, during an ORI, I was invited to be an "observer" on an A3 for a "special weapons" delivery...a loft type maneuver, much like what we did with the A1 & A4...but the whale didn't get flat on her back...somewhat like 150*...halfway through, I concluded that I DID NOT like that event!!

Had a friend (qualified A3 crewman) a few years back...told me this story...he was out on one, (test hop)...they experienced a major engine problem...ordered to bail out...he did, over the LAX area...drifting down in the chute, watched the crew recover power, and fade into the distance. Joe landed in an elderly lady's back yard...made one required call to the local police, then settled back on the gal's patio for hot tea & cookies...when the local po-po arrived, began busting him for the bailout...they thought it was for sport!! The whale landed safely...

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Couldn't resist a little KA-6D love. First plugs while in VA-42 somewhere over Nevada desert, scared to death and smilin' the whole time. You can just see the "fuzzbuster" mount in the second pic. Remember those?

Attachments

• hpqscan0094.jpg
    hpqscan0094.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 50
  • hpqscan0110.jpg
    hpqscan0110.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 65

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Various.

Attachments

• whistler72_29JUN08.jpg
    whistler72_29JUN08.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 500_tanking2.jpg
    500_tanking2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 500_tanking3.jpg
    500_tanking3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 38
  • radio_214_tank2.jpg
    radio_214_tank2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 37
  • maiden4.jpg
    maiden4.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 34
  • maiden7.jpg
    maiden7.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 35

brownshoe

Contributor
A pod of whales.....

whales.jpg

Funny, we (east coast at, Cecil, 60's) never saw any of these planes operate, we knew they existed, we just never saw them. After all these years... I'm now wondering why we never saw them?

Steve

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "Elephant"

The A-4s externally carried the 300 gl. D-704 refueling "Buddy" store. The store control panel had a unique switch labled "GUILLITINE". When the drogue & hose could not be retracted after a refueling event, upon return to base over a clear area, the guillitine switch would be activated...slicing the hose in the store, jettisoning hose /drogue.
Over the years, a number of inadvertent jettisons occurred, usually with a receiving A/C plugged in when the tanker pilot inadvertantly flipped the guillitine switch lnstead of the transfer switch.:eek: (If it CAN happen, eventually it WILL)

Most surprising to the receiver aircraft, as he has to go back and land with the drogue locked into his probe and some 30 feet of hose hanging down. This rare type of incident became known as the infamous "elephant landing" in A-4 circles!

Funny, we (east coast at, Cecil, 60's) never saw any of these planes operate, we knew they existed, we just never saw them. After all these years... I'm now wondering why we never saw them?

Steve

Blackshoe: We rarely saw Whales at Cecil (or Lemoore) because none were home-based there. The West Coast Whales were at Whidbey and only joined us for CarQuals or deployment. I am not sure where the East Coast A-3s were based.
BzB

teabag53

pilot
Not that it's the same basket but still nice...

A couple from a few years ago. Big Iron on the hose

Attachments

• IMG_0753_2.JPG
    IMG_0753_2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0749_2.jpg
    IMG_0749_2.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 41

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Getting gas in Harrier land... (random pics by yours truly)

BDTanking3.jpg
BDtanking.jpg

Buckettanking3.jpg
MeandLeshontheTanker.jpg

P1000045.jpg
P1010406.jpg

P1010409.jpg
P1010416.jpg

Tanking-1.jpg
P1000047.jpg

huge pics available upon request

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Blackshoe: We rarely saw Whales at Cecil (or Lemoore) because none were home-based there. The West Coast Whales were at Whidbey and only joined us for CarQuals or deployment. I am not sure where the East Coast A-3s were based.
BzB

BzB & Brownshoe..."Heavys" were at Sanford FL...just north of Orlando...USN gave it to the city many years ago...now a pretty popular commercial airport...read all about NAS Sanford here:

http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/history.htm

Citation3

Thanks again...

citation - out of curiosity, how exactly are you going to put this together, and what are you modeling? Are you going to put each a/c on its own stand, or are you going to put one on a stand and make the hose support the other?

I ask because I tinkered with a KA-6 to A-6 "in the basket" model a few years ago and could never come up with something to use for the hose that would support the model's weight but not look grossly out of scale.

Thanks to all of you for the great images and stories.

The display is going to be just the Super Hornet. I'll be lucky enough to get that built alone. Adding a second tanking A/C would be nice but not too practical. The plan is to have the SH on a base mounted in flight with the fueling probe extended. The scratchbuilt basket will be attached to it with about 1-2" of hose extended. The foucs will really be the probe/basket connection. The image on the base will be the sky with some dotted clouds or over the desert. I'm unable to track down a clear enough image yet.

Anyway, here is the Hornet with the probe opening cut in an built. Making a bit of progress.

DSC_0904.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Damn squeeze. I don't know anything about AAR or dissimilar form, but you could stay plugged into the basket, flying with the herc, and still had time to take a picture?!