• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Refueling Basket (current) dimensions???

yak52driver

Contributor
On one particular road recce mission in '66, took a rice farmer's rifle shot in the snout. Never knew it 'til after coming back aboard! Would have been fairly interesting had I had to tank on the way home, nice little fuel mist streaming into the intake!:hot_125:

*A "Whale" is/was the Douglas K/A-3B SkyWarrior.
BzB

Googled it to find out what the SkyWarrior looked like, thank you, sir.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What aircraft does Whale refer to? I know it's a B747 in the civilian world, but I'm sure that's not what this refers to in this coversation. Thanks.

You are welcome ...

whaleb.gif
a3whale.jpg

WHALE ... and WHALE ... CIVIE-STREET or USN ... I have time in both ... and they're both 'da BOMB!!! :D

jfulginiti

pilot
None
To answer the original post.... this is the best official answer I could find:

"Probe and Drogue refueling takes unique piloting skills to accomplish. Maneuvering a 4 inch diameter probe into the center of a 2 foot diameter drogue (aluminum coupling and basket with a fabric canopy added for lift/stability)......"

Found it here.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another Tanker Save

A Whale also orbited overhead in case of bolter/weather problems or fuel tank battle damaged A/C returning during day/night recoveries.:eek:

Later in '66 took a big hit in the starboard (wet) wing. Drop tanks empty, 3800# in wing vaporized instantly. Left target with only 1600# fuselage tank usable. Met Whale tanker after "feet wet" and plugged in w/700# remaining. Flew 62 miles to RANGER plugged in & sucking. Unplugged on final & trapped w/700#. Plane offloaded in Cubi & returned 2 months later w/new wing (one-piece).
My 3rd hit that cruise was fatal (to the A/C), see avatar. '66 was a vintage year to remember!:eek:
BzB, aka flak magnet

Attachments

• Battle Damage-3.jpg
    Battle Damage-3.jpg
    893.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Battle Damage-1.jpg
    Battle Damage-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Damn BzB. Does the brass clanging sound get annoying after a while? You old guys were crazy.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Of course! But he basically told us in #24 that we're useless and I felt kind of bad.
He never said that, didn't even infer that. His picture and the one Flash posted gave a good size comparison for what he was asking.

I spent a bit of time researching and this is the best image I can find. Is it safe to assume this version is one that could refuel a Super Hornet?

chute.jpg

I think this would give you a pretty good idea of the size compared to the F/A-18D, I imagine you could get a good estimate of the size since it is a side view.

AIR_AARD_F-18_Refueling_No_Hands_lg.jpg

Citation3

My apologies...

Of course! But he basically told us in #24 that we're useless and I felt kind of bad.

I was not infering that any of the information you all were kind enough to post was not useful. I just had a bit more time to track some additional information on my own and was letting you all know I think I resolved my own question and that I was thankful for all your input.

Didn't mean to get anyone here bent.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
No sweat dude..... I was just kidding and I'm obviously lacking in the smilie department... :):confused::eek::icon_rage:icon_rage:eek::icon_wink:icon_wink:eek::eek::sleep_125:sleep_125:(:tongue2_1:D:D:D:D:D

Citation3

Navy slang???

Is there any particular Navy slang used to describe the refueling maneuver? I'll need a name for the dispaly base.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
We called it "tanking" or "hitting the basket" or "going Texaco". If we're hitting the KC-135 with its rigid basket, we called it the "Iron Maiden", or Dancing with the Iron Maiden, etc.