• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REEFER MADNESS

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The uniform regs made it sound like the Navy blue rain coat could only be worn if it was...well, raining. Is that not the case?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I've always loved the way the bridge coat looks. My time here at the Mother I has more than reinforced the need for an heavy overcoat in colder climes, such as a 0700 formation in -2 degree (Fahrenheit) weather.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I read the thread name "Reefer Madness", I figured this was a thread that was headed south real quick...sorry wrong kind of Reefer.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
I made the same mistake, I thought the thread would go something like this:

But, the coat discussion was interesting.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The uniform regs made it sound like the Navy blue rain coat could only be worn if it was...well, raining. Is that not the case?
No, not really, but it looks like ass, so why bother? The heck with blue digis and Service Dress Khaki. TFU needs to redesign that monstrosity.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, not really, but it looks like ass, so why bother? The heck with blue digis and Service Dress Khaki. TFU needs to redesign that monstrosity.

Same thought here. While the raincoat with liner is definitely very warm, it also makes you look like a wannabe member of the Gestapo.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
When I read the thread name "Reefer Madness", I figured this was a thread that was headed south real quick...sorry wrong kind of Reefer.
Sorry ... but it was good enough for 'em in 1936 and I couldn't come up w/ anything "better" on short notice when I split the thread ::D

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
I only bought the Bridge Coat after making O-4 pay and have only worn it on 3 occassions over the past 8 years, each time over SDBs to something solemn. I love the damn thing but someone has to die on a pretty precise timeline for it to be cold enough to wear in South Texas.

I remember one former grad of the Chesapeake University of Naval Technology who wore his Boat-School reefer/peacoat to work one fine (cold) day ... he was soundly hooted, howled, and laughed out of the squadron spaces and back into the parking lot ... he left it in his truck ... and he never wore it again. :)
I'm of the belief that anyone that chides the reefer does not understand its true beauty. I have never worn a more comfortable and warm winter jacket, ever. And it's not clumsy like the big ol' ocoat (choose your lingo). Oh, and no scarf.

Did I mention it's magical abilities to make you fall asleep? :D

Mine will be packed for cruise come November.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
I always thought the thing sucked. Too drafty. Now a reefer with an ike jacket underneath... That'll keep you warm through an ice age.

And yes, the magic touch of sleep that the reefer conveys... Priceless. Even has a nice little neck brace built in.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Cuz those of us who don't get nifty flight jackets and didn't go to the boat school are stuck without something to wear in 20 degree weather.

why not just wear the Ike? I know it's swotivated and all, but you should have it. it's plenty warm. if you're really that cold, put some gloves on too. you're outside at a pool muster for all of 10 minutes? come onnnnn