• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REEFER MADNESS

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
the black eisenhower or a standard peacoat

You know... and I am fully aware about the incoming flak... but I do like the small uniform variations (within reason), namely the khaki combo cover. That, with the peacoat... it might not represent an aviation hopeful, but if you have to wear khakis all the time - make them look good!

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
You know... and I am fully aware about the incoming flak... but I do like the small uniform variations (within reason), namely the khaki combo cover. That, with the peacoat... it might not represent an aviation hopeful, but if you have to wear khakis all the time - make them look good!

I was thinking of wearing that too. haha damn they keep throwing all the uniform items i want out

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

Can't say I like the Khaki Combo cover too much (except with Service Dress Khakis) but the Reefer/Peacoat is pretty damn comfortable and does a good job of stopping the frigid winds!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't think I ever wore my Peacoat after USNA.
I remember one former grad of the Chesapeake University of Naval Technology who wore his Boat-School reefer/peacoat to work one fine (cold) day ... he was soundly hooted, howled, and laughed out of the squadron spaces and back into the parking lot ... he left it in his truck ... and he never wore it again. :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember one former grad of the Chesapeake University of Naval Technology who wore his Boat-School reefer/peacoat to work one fine (cold) day ... he was soundly hooted, howled, and laughed out of the squadron spaces and back into the parking lot ... he left it in his truck ... and he never wore it again. :)

Like the somber visage in The Right Stuff, I've seen a few at funerals. Only time I ever saw them broken out on deployments were during portcalls during winter (in Northern latitudes) while having to stand the duty as Boat O or Shore Patrol and even SDBs weren't enough to cut the wind. Seems someone always had one or two in the bunkroom that were passed around.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I don't think I ever wore my Peacoat after USNA.

I ( i guess mistakenly) always associated the Peacoat as being part of the enlisted sea bag. I've seen the long wool coat with epaulets being worn by a SWO CAPT, is this the same coat we're talking about or no?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I ( i guess mistakenly) always associated the Peacoat as being part of the enlisted sea bag. I've seen the long wool coat with epaulets being worn by a SWO CAPT, is this the same coat we're talking about or no?

The peacoat IS Enlisted -- or was Enlisted -- unless the "kinder, gentler" Navy of today has changed that nomenclature (if so, mebbe around the time they closed most of the O'Clubs??) to make everyone feel "better" about their lot in life ... ?? :):sleep_125

Bridgecoat =
Officers ... long one (down to the knees) w/ shoulder epaulets and 8 gold buttons ... belt in back w/ 2 gold buttons ....

Reefer (primarily USNA) =
short one w/ 6 gold buttons and shoulder insignia (USNA) .... someone help me out here -- did the Reefer have the back belt w/ buttons?? I can't remember and I never had one as I didn't go to the Boat School ... I once contemplated having my seldom worn Bridge Coat cut down to make a Reefer, but since no one wore them .... why ???

P
eacoat (Enlisted) = 8 black/navy blue buttons w/ rate insignia on left sleeve.

When I was in ... NO ONE except for Boat School grads had a Reefer -- that's as in no one. And even those guys didn't take them on cruise. Mebbe it's a PACFLT thing -- warmer climes and all -- but NO ONE wanted to be considered a "MIDN" because of wearing MIDN garb when in a squadron ... :)

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot

Reefer (primarily USNA) = short one w/ 6 gold buttons and shoulder insignia (USNA) .... someone help me out here -- did the Reefer have the back belt w/ buttons??

No belt w/buttons. The Reefer was similar to the Peacoat in that respect.

This thread got me interested so I dug out all of them to compare. My Peacoat is a thicker wool coat than the Reefer but has minimal lining. The Reefer has a much heaver lining including the sleeves with elastic-like cuffs that are on the inside of the sleeve bottom. The Bridge Coat has a similar material to the Reefer but a lining like the Peacoat.

With all of that said I never wore my Bridge Coat after Boat School. The Reefer I wore a few times while stashed prior to flight school. After that it was either a flight jacket or just the SDB coat.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
With all of that said I never wore my Bridge Coat after Boat School. The Reefer I wore a few times while stashed prior to flight school. After that it was either a flight jacket or just the SDB coat.

For the junior guys, don't discount taking your reefer/bridgecoat on cruise. A winter mid-0400 boat-o in the med gets awful cold and the big XO (IME) is not a fan of flight jackets over blues/whites.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I've seen lots of O's here wear the Reefer. (My own company officer does, in fact...) I suppose it's less cumbersome than the O-Coat/Bridgecoat, and obviously less formal. The only problem is it's a working uniform component and can't be worn off base, so on very cold days in uniform, you need the O-Coat/Bridgecoat.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
No belt w/buttons. The Reefer was similar to the Peacoat in that respect .....
Interesting history of the "Reefer" ... as the term and the jacket originated in the Royal Navy with their "Midshipmen", who were frequently referred to as "reefers" as they were sent aloft in the days of sail to reef & furl ...

The jacket proscribed for them was heavy enough to be warm, but still short enough to permit freedom of movement while in the rigging. It was double-breasted, which moved the buttons to the side and thus minimized the chances of getting hung up on a line. The pockets were vertical rather than a more traditional horizontal as they were designed for warming hands, not stowing miscellaneous personal items.

It was worn by "reefers" and thus became a "reefer coat".

There's a lot of possibilities for the naming of the "pea coat", but I'll leave it at that.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
For the junior guys, don't discount taking your reefer/bridgecoat on cruise. A winter mid-0400 boat-o in the med gets awful cold and the big XO (IME) is not a fan of flight jackets over blues/whites.

Good point. We didn't have do the boat-o thing very much when I was a JO because we either went pier side or used ferry boats. Then again I guess you could put a SWOter under the SDB jacket. :D (just kidding)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right now in A-pool I'm kinda jealous of the academy kids with their reefers. Since we're still in khakis and it's 20 degrees in the morning, the Ike is definitely no where near warm enough and I would love a heavy coat. Of course I'll have my flight gear issued in about a month so I can wear the green jacket so I'm not about to go out and buy one.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right now in A-pool I'm kinda jealous of the academy kids with their reefers. Since we're still in khakis and it's 20 degrees in the morning, the Ike is definitely no where near warm enough and I would love a heavy coat. Of course I'll have my flight gear issued in about a month so I can wear the green jacket so I'm not about to go out and buy one.

Try your rain coat with liner inserted. I found it to be the warmest coat in a pinch.

-ea6bflyr ;)