• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Realtor websites

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
greatest pyramid scheme ever. money to be made in that industry.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
Bads:
2. realtor sites that require you to log-in/register in order to view their listings..(I understand they do it to contact you as a prospective client, but if you just want to look at pics it is REALY annoying..especially if you are working with a realtor)
Ummm, if you're working with a Realtor, then why wouldn't he/she have a website that you can use OR be providing this info to you. It's real simple to set someone up to automatically receive new listings in the price range and desired location. If your Realtor isn't working for you, then fire them! Don't put up with bullshit service.

Brett327 said:
So is that contingent on you getting financing through them?
No, but it is encouraged that you use USAA for your financing. I say bullshit to that as well. I tell buyers I work with that they should go with whatever company offers the best terms and conditions appropriate for their particular situation. Not all situations are the same and not all companies can handle every possible situation. There are too many factors involved to say that one particular company is always going to be the better deal. The bottom line is that the typical buyer gets the glazed look in their eyes when the topic of financing comes up.

Brett327 said:
MO, 1-2 grand on a house purchase isn't enough to warrant having them chose your realtor - I just don't see the advantage.
They don't choose your Realtor, you do. When you sign up for the Mover's Advantage Program through USAA, they will put in the referral for the location that you are looking to move to. For most cities, one, maybe two companies will have the USAA referral contract. In Gainesville, we happen to be the only one in town that does USAA referrals. Once the referral goes to the local brokerage, the sales manager there determines which agent is the most appropriate for that particular referral. Only agents that have been licensed for at least two years are eligible for these referrals and not all agents even want them. But you as a buyer do have control over who your agent will be. If the one that gets assigned to you isn't working out, fire them and have the sales manager get you one that is more suitable.

BigIron said:
I concur with all of the above. The more information/photos you can have about the properties online the better. When we were looking for our houses, we wanted to shop ourselves and then involve the realtors when we were ready to deal or get more insider info.

Maybe I'm out of the loop now, but I think gone are the days when the realtor picks up the clients, drives them around and becomes the sole point of information about available properties.
When you're searching the MLS database, you have to remember that the number of photos available to you is limited by the particular MLS. They don't want some ungoddly number of photos because it just takes up space on their servers. It isn't because the Realtor is being stingy with the photos.

As for the information that you are able to search versus the information that we are able to search....there is no comparison. For that reason alone, I don't know why you wouldn't involve a Realtor early on. Are we the sole point of information about available properties? No. But I challenge you to find better information elsewhere on your own.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have an old squadron-mate turned Realtor/slum-lord that I'm working with now, so it's nice to deal with someone you know and trust. While I do like to peruse the listings online and do my own drive-by, it's true that the Realtor will have the best, most updated info.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
@Steve
Working with a realtor, they do provide you with the website/search engine of ever house that meets your criteria....
I am talking about oh..lets see what 10k more buys us..get on the internet real quick and try to find out if it is worth going up in price range...
A smart Reator would already have that covered. People tell me what they want to spend (which is usually less than what they are WILLING to spend), so I always include homes in the search that is a certain percentage above their price. I know they're probably going to ask anyway, so I just get it done up front.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
Well....
I appreciated the fact that our realtors did not inundate us with houses over our price range...they knew what we wanted and we share a similar financial philosphy.
Then why would you need to search the MLS (on some other Realtor's website no less) to see what you can get for just 10K more???

RetreadRand said:
My thought is that if a realtor constantly sends you houses out of your requested price range then it can be thought as greedy. Price to me was just as much of a criteria as a 3rd Bedroom.
Yea, it can be perceived that way if it isn't fully explained why he/she is showing (or sending) you those listings from the MLS. If your budget is $250,000 and I show you a house that is listed for $250,000, do you expect to pay the listing price? Probably not? You'll probably come in with an offer 10-15K below that depending on market conditions and location, of course. The point is, if your budget is 250,000 the Realtor is not doing his/her job if he/she doesn't show you houses that you can realistically get for that price. On the flipside, if we were in a seller's market, the Realtor would be doing you a disservice by showing you listings that were more than $245,000, knowing full well that you'd have to offer AT LEAST full price on the home, if not more, to get it.

RetreadRand said:
But all that is beside the point which was: I found it extremely annoying when a site made you register....
and like I said before, maybe you should hold your Realtor more accountable for providing you the info that you desire. If your Realtor providing a link for you to search till your heart's content, you wouldn't need to register elsewhere.

RetreadRand said:
With our house it was a last resort to go up in price and I think it is silly to assume EVERYONE will do it..
Everyone? No. But a lot of people don't have the faintest clue what their money will buy them and as a result, they estimate low.

RetreadRand said:
I thought you started this thread to get ideas for websites, not to tell us how much better of realtor you are...
Well, you're correct. I was curious to see what others liked in a Realtor's website and what they disliked. However, I'm not just going to sit here and not respond to inaccuracies. I get it. You have a Realtor you like to use. He doesn't provide you with the information you want. As a result, you have to use another Realtor's website to find out what you need, but you don't want to have to register for it. I understand completely.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bottom line....your Realtor sucks! Tell the fucker to get off his ass and give you a link so you can search the MLS on your own.

And I DO get what you're saying. It is something I struggle with doing on my own site. I understand the theory behind making people register, but I also know as a consumer myself, that I hate doing it unless it is information that I really want.

Need to search for properties in Florida. Let me know. I'll give you a link, no questions asked!

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
I thought the MLS was a tool that you guys did not want to relinquish??...You guys pay all these fees for membership into the Realtor's association and the MLS etc etc,
Our realtor used a website that they put in all your criteria...then we got a personal link with the houses that met the criteria...even if it changed daily it would update...the only problem is that it did not give you the option to change anything on your own...not sure why, but I imagine it is because they don't want to give the customer free range of the MLS....
Some MLS's are not set up to allow non-subscribers (read: non agents) to save preferences. It may not be anything to do with the particular agent. If the MLS that we subscribe to isn't set up to do that, then there is nothing we can do other than set you up on automatic updates. You tell us what you want changed, we change your criteria in the system.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All I want to know is at what point we can ban Steve for spam? :D

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All I want to know is at what point we can ban Steve for spam? :D

Brett
I haven't spammed anyone.....yet. I'm downloading everyone's registered email address into my PDA as I sit here. So much for Airwarriors not sharing your personal info....or being pirated is more like it :pirate_12

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't spammed anyone.....yet. I'm downloading everyone's registered email address into my PDA as I sit here. So much for Airwarriors not sharing your personal info....or being pirated is more like it :pirate_12

Well, if I should find myself interested in central FL real estate, you can expect a call. ;)

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, if I should find myself interested in central FL real estate, you can expect a call. ;)

Brett
That's fine. I'm sure I can refer you to a fine agent down there. If however, you are interested in NORTH Central FL real estate, I'm your man! :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's fine. I'm sure I can refer you to a fine agent down there. If however, you are interested in NORTH Central FL real estate, I'm your man! :D

I know where you are, you clown. :D I don't know why you would go out of your way, as one of the more repulsive areas in FL, to distance and distinguish yourself from the more desirable environs of the Orlando area. ;)

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know where you are, you clown. :D I don't know why you would go out of your way, as one of the more repulsive areas in FL, to distance and distinguish yourself from the more desirable environs of the Orlando area. ;)

Brett
Blasphemy! This is God's country here! Well ok, he shares it with Big Al.