• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rate my work out

MidWestEwo

None
Rest more, let your body recover so you can do more volume the next time around.

For what it's worth.. in my OCS class there was a swimmer and he was running the PFT in like 16 minutes. I got home thinking I was all bad ass and went swimming based off of how much he said it would help, did like 2 laps in an O size pool and was dead. Probably because I have no technique and am aerodynamic as a brick in the water, but still. You sound like an ectomorph... you need to eat eat eat eat eat.

If you don't mind me asking; What is an ectomorph? lol. Was that 16 minutes for the 3 mile Marine PFT or the 1.5 mile Navy PFT?

I do my 72 laps in increments of 10 laps. 10 laps, rest 30 seconds, 10 laps, rest 30 seconds, etc... Sometimes I switch it up and do 8 laps, and 2 underwater with the same rest to increase my lung capacity.

Edit: I found it. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Good God man how are you even moving about? I'm 206 +/- 5lbs daily 6'0'' with roughly 15% body fat. I'm trying to struggle down to 195 but trying to dip below 2000 cals a day working otu and whatnot makes me almost incapable of doing anything else. I know i need to bite the bullet tho cause dragging 15 less pounds around would drastically increase my performance. Trying to figure out how to eat nothing lol.

The trick is you gotta get down to it. If you are constantly chewing on something, you don't notice. It's like, eat your eggs. Then pocket the apples and take 'em to class or what not. Drink alot of water in the afternoon for the fullness.
Mind, It's taken me a long time to get down to this, but i've watched my body fat percentage drop accordingly. When I make my target of 196, I'm going to continue a more regular diet consisting of lots of fish and complex carbs

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There is a serious deficiency on nutrition knowledge in this thread. For those of you looking to not only lose weight, but to positively change body composition - Maintain/gain muscle while shedding fat, you should start doing the following:

1) Eat a fairly large breakfast consisting of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
2) Eat 4 to 5 additional meals throughout the day.
3) Ensure each meal contains at least 30-40g of protein.
4) Start cutting out carbohydrates in the early afternoon, unless you work out in the evening, then you obviously need some to fuel your work outs.
5) Try to eat a ratio of 40% protein, 30% carbohydrates, and 30% fat.

Obviously one size does not fit all, but that guidance should do wonders for most provided they follow a consistent routine of weights and some cardio.
You, too, gave bad diet advice for people trying to drop weight. The ratio of 40/30/30 is for bodybuilding, ie weight gain. Additionally, someone who is trying to stay under 2,000 cal/day is going to have a hard time doing that and feeling full while eating a diet of predominately meat, which is higher in calories per mass than grains/fruits/veggies.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
You, too, gave bad diet advice for people trying to drop weight. The ratio of 40/30/30 is for bodybuilding, ie weight gain. Additionally, someone who is trying to stay under 2,000 cal/day is going to have a hard time doing that and feeling full while eating a diet of predominately meat, which is higher in calories per mass than grains/fruits/veggies.

Protein and fats are more satiating than carbohydrates. Plus, carbohydrates spike insulin which, when it does not occur after working out, is far from beneficial as it stops fat loss and promotes fat storage.

And no - 40/30/30 is not for weight gain. Granted, it can be provided you have a sufficient caloric surplus, but bodybuilding is not all about gaining weight. That is a good macronutrient ratio for fat loss or maintenance of body composition.

Go do some research and look up scientific studies concerning high carb diets vs. high protein diets.

Furthermore, you don't have to stay under 2,000 calories a day to lose fat - Just adjust your macros and continue working out.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Furthermore, you don't have to stay under 2,000 calories a day to lose fat - Just adjust your macros and continue working out.
Losing weight is a matter of calories in being less than calories out. Some people can spend the time to workout more than others; however, you gave your diet advice without even taking this into consideration. Someone who works out for an hour a day for 3-4x/week at moderate intensity (which is what most people I've seen on workout programs tend to do) will most likely maintain or even gain weight if they go over the 2,500 calorie mark. On the other hand, someone who is regularly into athletics can eat much more and still lose weight.

Go do some research and look up scientific studies concerning high carb diets vs. high protein diets.
I've done plenty of research, and happen to have a degree in biology. Carbohydrates are not the big-bad animal you make them out to be.

jtmedli

pilot
Crossfit is unreal. My workout is as follows:
Mon: CFE (crossfit endurance) + Weight room (arms/shoulders) + 2 miles on soft surface (field/trails)
Tuesday: CF (crossfit at 9am) + Weight room (legs/after a break) + Track Sprints
Wednesday: Weight room + Distance Run 5 miles or so XC
Thursday: CF (9am) + Weight room (arms/shoulders) + CFE
Friday: CF (9am) + Weight room (legs if I can stand to do it) + Bike Machine

Saturday/Sunday: Rest and some running

EDIT: I do pullups every night after I get off work. Around sixty a night (loosely following the armstrong program)

I'm an absolutely horrible runner so don't think I'm some kind of beast or anything. I had stress fractures twice and I'm trying to get in OCS shape while coming back from the SFx's. Hopefully everything will congeal nicely and in 2-3 months I'll be seeing some real results!! Any suggestions are appreciated.

gonad

If you don't mind me asking; What is an ectomorph? lol. Was that 16 minutes for the 3 mile Marine PFT or the 1.5 mile Navy PFT?

I do my 72 laps in increments of 10 laps. 10 laps, rest 30 seconds, 10 laps, rest 30 seconds, etc... Sometimes I switch it up and do 8 laps, and 2 underwater with the same rest to increase my lung capacity.

Edit: I found it. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html

Have you tried any hypoxic swim training? When I ocean lifeguarded we watched our 500m times go from 7:00 to 5:00 after about a month of doing that. Also, if you have an ocean around anywhere... we seemed to find that consistant swimming in the ocean gave you tons of upper body strength over swimming in a pool... kind of bringing the power to technique. The rougher the water, the better... because in some ways that would be hypoxic because every breath stroke may just be sea foam or something. Plus, all of that seemed to be a little more fun than just training in a pool.

On a side note.. we used to do these in and outs... basically a 300m sprint on the sand followed by 100m out in the ocean- then 100m laterally and 100m back in... followed by the same deal over again. It was pretty fun.

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
First off thanks to Whitesoxnation and Gonad I found out I'm a mesomorph :D Sadly all main weight loss is water and I can't shread the muscle and the fat is being stubborn.
And secondly I'm an idiot. A critical fact escaped my notice till last week. Our 1.5 PRT time is going to come after maxing out P/U and C/U. Since then I have been maxing both before my 3 mile runs. Recent 1.5 PR 10:45. Without maxing out 10:15 (Sorry to threadjack you Bmaru :icon_wink) Any tips for overcoming the anaerobic max out to persevere with the run? I know I won't signifigantly improve till I lose the weight but any help is appreciated.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
First off thanks to Whitesoxnation and Gonad I found out I'm a mesomorph :D Sadly all main weight loss is water and I can't shread the muscle and the fat is being stubborn.
And secondly I'm an idiot. A critical fact escaped my notice till last week. Our 1.5 PRT time is going to come after maxing out P/U and C/U. Since then I have been maxing both before my 3 mile runs. Recent 1.5 PR 10:45. Without maxing out 10:15 (Sorry to threadjack you Bmaru :icon_wink) Any tips for overcoming the anaerobic max out to persevere with the run? I know I won't signifigantly improve till I lose the weight but any help is appreciated.

Why would you want to shed the muscle? Or do you mean shed the fat so you look shredded? I can't tell.

Hill sprints. They work wonders. Find a 10 percent or higher grade hill and mark off 100m and sprint up, walk down, 8-10 times.

MidWestEwo

None

Thread jacking is fine, I am just trying to incorporate different ideas into my work out.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
Cardio, Aerobic exercises will burn off weight in a hurry. If you are worried about anaerobic burnout that's a recovery thing. Honestly I'm not sure the best way to go about improving that but I would try focusing on aerobic exercise mixxed with sprints.

I've lost 25 lbs in the past 3 months (was 6'1" 204 now I'm down to 175) without losing any muscle. Now most of what I lost was a beer-gut but I did it through weight training and distance running. Speed workouts consisted of 1.5 mile PRT 100% effort, distance runs I built up from 1.5 miles up to 6 miles currently. I drastically changed my diet. I eat very little fat, lots of vegetables, lots of protein, enough carbs to keep me going but not much and I don't drink pop or carbonated drinks and I take in as little sugar as possible. To me, this sounded like a really crappy diet going into it but it really is very good once you find a good menu of foods. I can eat as much lean protein (chicken, fish, and lean beef cuts) as I want and I've always liked fresh veggies and fruits. Another thing I do, I'm never more than a foot away from a 20 oz bottle of water. I drink water all through the day.

Losing weight has improved EVERYTHING for me. I could barely do 20 pushups when i started training and now I can do sets of 40 and max around 65. I felt the same way you do, despite my small beer-gut, I really didn't think I had the weight to lose in the first place.

damcrac

Final Select NFO
Cardio, Aerobic exercises will burn off weight in a hurry. If you are worried about anaerobic burnout that's a recovery thing. Honestly I'm not sure the best way to go about improving that but I would try focusing on aerobic exercise mixxed with sprints.

would quote more but its right above this.

Sounds exactly like me. I started 6'0" 236, and in little over 2 months I've lost 26 pounds to 210(only 10 more to go), I've lost 4 inches on my gut(I can pass the tape!) just by a couple frustrating but life changing improvements. I'm not a fat person, nobody would ever guess me over 200 when I weighed 236, but I have a lot of muscle on my lower and upper body, but very soft around the mid seciton. Here are a couple things I've done to help.

First rule, no soda! Second rule, smaller portions. Instead of going to Whataburger and getting a number 1 w/cheese whatasized(6 million calories)... I go to subway, get a 6" oven roasted chicken breast on wheat, with low fat milk and a yogurt(under 700, yogurt and chicken breast is important to retaining muscle during weight loss). Using free programs like www.hundredpushups.com and www.twohundredsitups.com has taken me from 19/29 push ups/sit ups, to 52/65 in just over 2 months without being perfect on my discipline.

But his first paragraph is key. When I stop running/biking/swiming for a few days, I stop losing weight. As soon as I start again, the pounds fall off at an alarming rate.

Ralph

So your saying that you have to use weights to build upper body strength? And pushups won't do that?

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
Pushups will indeed help upper body strength. BUT weight lifting will signifigantly increase your gains. Especially dumbells will help isolate your triceps and chest. Don't go and grab the heaviest weight you think you can do 10 reps with tho. Your looking to increase endurance as well as strength. Do 3 sets of 20-30 on top of intermingling pushups with your runs.Heck a set of pushups in the morning is almost as good as coffee. Almost. That should help with the P/U prt.

Looks like I'm in the same boat as you guys, Damcrac and Krafty. I'm strong in the lower and upper body, with a pretty solid core that sadly is obscured by the extra pounds. Im 25 and my metabolism went from insaitiable to keep feeding me but its not going anywhere :tongue2_1. Thankfully I'm lactose intolerant so dairy is nonexistant in my diet which is pprolly why I never fully jumped off that cliff to completely outta shape. I'm just trying to lose this extra 15 and hit 195 before OCS. And I'm trying to twique my run to improve it before my prt even with the weight. And Ryan_cunningham I'm gonna try the sprints and ill letcha know how it goes.