• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rate my work out

MidWestEwo

None
Even though I still have yet to be accepted for OCS, I am determined that my time is just around the corner. I am still preparing, and I want to make sure I will succeed if I am given the opportunity to go. I would appreciate any help in modifying this work out to help my chances of making it through OCS with no sweat.

Typical week is as follows...

Monday - 3 sets of push-ups until failure, 3 sets of sit ups until failure, and a 3 mile run at about a 24 minute pace ( I am no runner by any means, and I run by myself with no real instruction at all)

Tuesday - Swim just over 1 mile in about 45 minutes freestyle. (72 laps at a typical YMCA size pool) 2 laps for warm up in case you were all wondering why I picked that number...

Wednesday - Same as monday

Thursday - Same as Tuesday

Friday - Fast sprint 1.5 miles (typically in about 10:30 to 11 minutes which seems to be a plateau for me that I could use some help in improving), drop to do set of push ups till failure, 1 minute rest, and fast 1 mile back to rest.

Saturday - Same as Tuesday and Wednesday

Sunday - Rest

Issues I am having include shin splints (interior muscle type) and forgetting to breathe while running ( odd I know, but I actually have to remember to breathe enough to keep my legs from cramping up!)

Thanks in advance for any advice you PT studs can give me.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
While lots of running and swimming are great I would recommend hitting up the weight room every once in a while and focus on some strength training. That is what I have been doing and the differences are quite noticeable. I would like to swim more though...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Shin splints are an overuse injury and there is not much you can do about them except REST. When I get them, I eat some Motrin before I run so that it doesn't hurt as bad. SHOES ARE KEY!!! Make sure that you have good running shoes (i.e. new). Make sure they fit you well and that you have enough arch support. A lack of arch support leads to improper foot postioning during your run. This can also lead to other overuse injuries like Ilio-Tibial Band Syndrome (ITB) which hurts in your knees. There is tons of info on this on the internet. A company called Brooks makes an outstanding running shoe and I like Asics too. If you don't wanna get new shoes, get insoles/orthotics, they help immensely.

Distance running requires a pace, forgetting to breathe f*s up that pace. Try running with an ipod or something and get into a rhythm.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you'll get a lot of advice from the PT animals who are training for marathons, Ironman, BUD/S, etc. You need to be in shape for OCS, but not to the insane level that those events require. More to the point, you don't want to injure yourself by over-training or increasing your workout too quickly.

Your focus should be cardio endurance and strength training. Get extra weight off, keep it off, rock the in-PRT and keep up on the distance runs - failing wil get you rolled to H, and marginal performance is the fastest way to get the DI's on your ass.

It sounds like what you're doing now is a good program to meet those goals. If your run time has plateaued or you want to improve your technique, I'd suggest meeting with a personal trainer. Doesn't have to be a fancy expensive one - a lot of YMCA's have trainers on staff who can help you with that sort of stuff.

I don't know how much swimming will help you, as opposed to more running/ cardio/ weights. If you're comfortable with in the water, OCS and API swimming should not challenge you much, and it doesn't do much for your cardio endurance. My roommate was a four-year Varsity swimmer but always struggled with the PRT run and group PT. I think it's good for changing up your workout when you're getting bored, but three days a week might be excessive.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Even though I still have yet to be accepted for OCS, I am determined that my time is just around the corner. I am still preparing, and I want to make sure I will succeed if I am given the opportunity to go. I would appreciate any help in modifying this work out to help my chances of making it through OCS with no sweat.

Typical week is as follows...

Monday - 3 sets of push-ups until failure, 3 sets of sit ups until failure, and a 3 mile run at about a 24 minute pace ( I am no runner by any means, and I run by myself with no real instruction at all)

Tuesday - Swim just over 1 mile in about 45 minutes freestyle. (72 laps at a typical YMCA size pool) 2 laps for warm up in case you were all wondering why I picked that number...

Wednesday - Same as monday

Thursday - Same as Tuesday

Friday - Fast sprint 1.5 miles (typically in about 10:30 to 11 minutes which seems to be a plateau for me that I could use some help in improving), drop to do set of push ups till failure, 1 minute rest, and fast 1 mile back to rest.

Saturday - Same as Tuesday and Wednesday

Sunday - Rest

Issues I am having include shin splints (interior muscle type) and forgetting to breathe while running ( odd I know, but I actually have to remember to breathe enough to keep my legs from cramping up!)

Thanks in advance for any advice you PT studs can give me.

Go to a quality running store and have them analyze your stride to determine what the best type of shoe would be. That will make a big difference. Icing after runs also helps keep shin splints away.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
There are two kinds of swimming just like there is walking and there is running. If you wanna work cardio in the pool, cut the distance and swim sprints against the clock. Try and get your 50M under 40 sec (or 100M in less than 90) and you will get a great cardio workout. Do ten of those and then a 500M cool down instead of your mile swim.

Swimming is an excellent low impact total body workout. It will give you something to do while you rest your shin splints.

MidWestEwo

None
Thanks for the advice so far. I used to lift weights like it was a job. I am thin and weigh about 154 at 5'9" and used to be able to bench press about 225 for 5 reps at the final of 4 sets. I stopped lifting weights entirely because I thought cardio would be better at helping me succeed at OCS. Is swimming really as futile as Fester says?

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Issues I am having include shin splints (interior muscle type)

Stop running. Do the Eliptical. If that doesn't work, do the Bike. Splints will NOT quickly get better without RICE after every workout and time to heal from their present aggravation. For a week minimum, you need to be massaging, icing, and keeping from high impact stuff. Afterwards, it's not a bad idea to stretch and massage them for prevention.

You do NOT want to go in with any sort of nagging injury, and splints can only get worse without recovery time.

Prevention: Lower leg excercises.
Push and Pull a towel around the floor with your foot for a while.
Calf Raises whilst standing on the stairs.
LOW weight and HIGH reps on calf, hamstring, and quadriceps machines in the gym.
Whilst sat in a chair, place your heels on the floor and try to point your feet towards the ceiling. Think of that as a reverse calf raise.

Hope this helps

MidWestEwo

None
There are two kinds of swimming just like there is walking and there is running. If you wanna work cardio in the pool, cut the distance and swim sprints against the clock. Try and get your 50M under 40 sec (or 100M in less than 90) and you will get a great cardio workout. Do ten of those and then a 500M cool down instead of your mile swim.

Swimming is an excellent low impact total body workout. It will give you something to do while you rest your shin splints.

That is a good idea. I think I will switch out thursday to add some weight training followed by that work out in the pool.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Cool..if you ever wanna change up your workout and mix cardio with weight training, get on the web and check out CrossFit...it's pretty much the poop when it comes to being in shape. If you get competitive with those workouts, you will kick OCS in the balls (physically that is).

MidWestEwo

None
Stop running. Do the Eliptical. If that doesn't work, do the Bike. Splints will NOT quickly get better without RICE after every workout and time to heal from their present aggravation. For a week minimum, you need to be massaging, icing, and keeping from high impact stuff. Afterwards, it's not a bad idea to stretch and massage them for prevention.

You do NOT want to go in with any sort of nagging injury, and splints can only get worse without recovery time.

Prevention: Lower leg excercises.
Push and Pull a towel around the floor with your foot for a while.
Calf Raises whilst standing on the stairs.
LOW weight and HIGH reps on calf, hamstring, and quadriceps machines in the gym.
Whilst sat in a chair, place your heels on the floor and try to point your feet towards the ceiling. Think of that as a reverse calf raise.

Hope this helps

I have tried to rest for a week before, albeit I did not massage and ice for the entire week or anything, but it seems like all that did was lower my running time and decondition me to running. Maybe I will try the eliptical for that week along with the massaging and rubbing. Does IcyHot help for leg pains?

Also, another issue is eating. I feel that I am burning way too many calories than I am taking in, but I can't seem to eat enough during the day. What are your favorite meals to pound down good calories?

exhelodrvr

pilot
Thanks for the advice so far. I used to lift weights like it was a job. I am thin and weigh about 154 at 5'9" and used to be able to bench press about 225 for 5 reps at the final of 4 sets. I stopped lifting weights entirely because I thought cardio would be better at helping me succeed at OCS. Is swimming really as futile as Fester says?

I've identified the problem - people with our build are NOT THIN. We are WIRY!!

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
I have the opposite problem, as in I'm top heavy and trying to lose some of the muscle to gain speed. I found out I could improve my running times signifigantly just by focusing of running technique. Try lengthening your stride and keeping your arms low to conserve energy during your 1.5. It helped me drop from an average 11:00 to a 10:15 in a week of workouts. You'll want to ask a trainer for the specifics (and most of them, especially at YMCAs are so eager to help you can find out what you want to know for free just by chatting with them. I know bc I am a trainer that gives away free advice all the time.) All I can tell you for your shin splints is that they are also caused by high impact of the feet on hard surfaces like asphault. If you can't sit still to heal atleast try running in grass or on a rubber track. Good luck.

MidWestEwo

None
I have the opposite problem, as in I'm top heavy and trying to lose some of the muscle to gain speed. I found out I could improve my running times signifigantly just by focusing of running technique. Try lengthening your stride and keeping your arms low to conserve energy during your 1.5. It helped me drop from an average 11:00 to a 10:15 in a week of workouts. You'll want to ask a trainer for the specifics (and most of them, especially at YMCAs are so eager to help you can find out what you want to know for free just by chatting with them. I know bc I am a trainer that gives away free advice all the time.) All I can tell you for your shin splints is that they are also caused by high impact of the feet on hard surfaces like asphault. If you can't sit still to heal atleast try running in grass or on a rubber track. Good luck.

Since you are a trainer.. I could send you a video of me running and you can analyze it ok? Just kidding. Thanks for the advice, and congratulations on your prorec this month!