• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rate my work out

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Rate my workout

I'll rate it as boring. Plus, 3 sets of pushups to failure probably won't do all that much to develop your upper body strength. Get in the gym and hit the weights like you use to. While I didn't attend Navy OCS, I think my strength - Both upper and lower body, developed from years in the gym, helped me immensely at USMC OCS. Even if it whittled away week-by-week for those 2.5 months.

At the very least add in some pullups to your regime.

MidWestEwo

None
Lol yeah it is pretty boring. I really hate running, but I do enjoy swimming. I much liked when I lifted weights, but it seemed like the only gains I got were how much I could lift and how big my chest and arms got. I feel like I am in better shape now than I was then, even if I look like a lanky dude again. I think I will add some weight training to my schedule for sure though; I might avoid the bench press and add some deadlifts instead though.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
. Does IcyHot help for leg pains?
Also, another issue is eating. I feel that I am burning way too many calories than I am taking in, but I can't seem to eat enough during the day. What are your favorite meals to pound down good calories?

No, not in my experience.
As for food, I have the opposite problem, I'm 210, 5'11, 16% Body Fat. I look for any way to cut calories out of my diet. I take in about 1300 per day right now.
Good calories and Lots of calories are two different things, mind. I would recommend as much fish and chicken as you can gun down. Protein shakes are proven weight gainers as well, especially if you mix them with whole milk instead of water. Beef will help you, but it's not lean meat, so you'll have to struggle with your fat intake.
Remember to eat complex carbs and raw sugars whilst you're trying to up your weight for dietary balance's sake. It's tempting to knock down potatoes and breads and stuff, but you'll find it makes you alot less fit. Try for whole wheat breads, brown rices, samp, and corn instead. The raw sugars in apples and other fruits will give you a good energy basis to work out as well.
You can between meals snack on MetRX bars and the like as well. They're a solid source of whey protein, though not in and of themselves the basis for a complete and healthy diet. Remember, veggies and fruits will help you more than you think in terms of recovery and maintenence.
Finally, drink water. Piss Clear needs to be your motto. If you're trying to gain weight, especially with more protein, you're putting lots of stress on your kidneys, which will require an increase in water to function properly. You'll know you're okay if you're pissing clear.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
No, not in my experience.
As for food, I have the opposite problem, I'm 210, 5'11, 16% Body Fat. I look for any way to cut calories out of my diet. I take in about 1300 per day right now.

1300 calories at that weight? Thats ridiculous. 12 year old girls eat more than that.

And bmaru, if you want to add in some good calories, throw some peanut butter, ice, milk, and protein powder in a blender with a little splenda. Its incredible.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
1300 calories at that weight? Thats ridiculous. 12 year old girls eat more than that.

And bmaru, if you want to add in some good calories, throw some peanut butter, ice, milk, and protein powder in a blender with a little splenda. Its incredible.

Tell me about it. I'm freaking starving. But rope and choke is really, really, embarrassing for me, so I'm doing my level best.
Example:
Breakfast is an apple or two, and two scrambled eggs:180 + 200 cals
Lunch is 6oz of chicken, baked, brown rice for carbs. 500 cals
Dinner is a proten bar with about 400 cals

That sounds like a good recepie, I might try that one day

MidWestEwo

None
wow at that diet I would work those calories off in a little more than a 1 mile swim. A swimmer told me I was burning something like 900 calories by swimming a mile in 45 minutes!

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
Good God man how are you even moving about? I'm 206 +/- 5lbs daily 6'0'' with roughly 15% body fat. I'm trying to struggle down to 195 but trying to dip below 2000 cals a day working otu and whatnot makes me almost incapable of doing anything else. I know i need to bite the bullet tho cause dragging 15 less pounds around would drastically increase my performance. Trying to figure out how to eat nothing lol.

MidWestEwo

None
Good God man how are you even moving about? I'm 206 +/- 5lbs daily 6'0'' with roughly 15% body fat. I'm trying to struggle down to 195 but trying to dip below 2000 cals a day working otu and whatnot makes me almost incapable of doing anything else. I know i need to bite the bullet tho cause dragging 15 less pounds around would drastically increase my performance. Trying to figure out how to eat nothing lol.

You could try a different tactic of eating. Start breakfast with a half of lemon squeezed into a glass of water. The sugar in the lemon jump starts the metabolism without consuming any real calories. Through the day, stretch out those 2000 calories into something like 6 meals. That jump in metabolism might help even out your body's set point that was trained from when you were lifting hardcore and taking in tons of calories in big meals.

Archanan7

I think whats killing me is the odd schedule I'm on right now. Im force feeding myself breakfast cause i never used to eat in the morning. Used to two large meals a day. But being up really late at night like I've been has me almost unconsciously snacking late, which is the worst time for eating when your trying to lose and lean. I gotta get the schedule straight.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Eat snack foods that have "negative calories" - takes more to process the food than you take in when you eat it - but it will fill you up (temporarily). Grapefruit is a good example; I believe celery is, too.

Archanan7

Peanut butter and celery rocks but i suppose adding peanut butter would defeat the purpose. I am proud to say I've got a 10:15 1.5 going even with all the extra weight.
Bmaru have you heard anything from your OR yet about the board? There were a couple more pro recs today. My Recruiter is down in FL for a conference or something but he was emailed the results and contacted me via cell phone.

MidWestEwo

None
Eat snack foods that have "negative calories" - takes more to process the food than you take in when you eat it - but it will fill you up (temporarily). Grapefruit is a good example; I believe celery is, too.

Reminds me of that anorexia video where the girl makes a 'snack' of lettuce before her dad smacks her and tells her she needs help.

I will be your physical trainer and remind you when to purge. :icon_tong

MidWestEwo

None
Peanut butter and celery rocks but i suppose adding peanut butter would defeat the purpose. I am proud to say I've got a 10:15 1.5 going even with all the extra weight.
Bmaru have you heard anything from your OR yet about the board? There were a couple more pro recs today. My Recruiter is down in FL for a conference or something but he was emailed the results and contacted me via cell phone.

Yeah I found out a few days ago that my application was tabled for next month. Seriously, the Navy can fire a missile from the middle of the Atlantic into an insurgent's 5"x5" window while he is watching reruns of the PJ's and snacking on Kosher Dills, but they can't get an application into the right hands quickly enough with a few weeks to do it!

Oh well... it was probably my fault somewhere along the line, I just like to rant sometimes.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
There is a serious deficiency on nutrition knowledge in this thread. For those of you looking to not only lose weight, but to positively change body composition - Maintain/gain muscle while shedding fat, you should start doing the following:

1) Eat a fairly large breakfast consisting of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
2) Eat 4 to 5 additional meals throughout the day.
3) Ensure each meal contains at least 30-40g of protein.
4) Start cutting out carbohydrates in the early afternoon, unless you work out in the evening, then you obviously need some to fuel your work outs.
5) Try to eat a ratio of 40% protein, 30% carbohydrates, and 30% fat.

Obviously one size does not fit all, but that guidance should do wonders for most provided they follow a consistent routine of weights and some cardio.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Rest more, let your body recover so you can do more volume the next time around.

For what it's worth.. in my OCS class there was a swimmer and he was running the PFT in like 16 minutes. I got home thinking I was all bad ass and went swimming based off of how much he said it would help, did like 2 laps in an O size pool and was dead. Probably because I have no technique and am aerodynamic as a brick in the water, but still. You sound like an ectomorph... you need to eat eat eat eat eat.