• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Son of Griz-O-Copter! Doing the CFI thing today at my home airport, taxied in just as the local Helo flight school on the field was conducting ops. They have multiple Private and Comercial helo students in work and run their Enstrom fleet hard. Although the school insists on flying the standard fixed wing pattern at 1000' AGL. They are profitable but cant for the life of me understand what brings the students in at 0 time. I mentioned to the owner once that the best primary helo trainer was a Cessna 172, and a better model might be to do a helo COMM/instrument add-on after a fledgling pilot achieves COMM INST ASEL. He laughed at me - lol. Flying his helicopters is the name of the game and not student efficiency he said!

1662675003934.png

Bonus - was rehacking night last night and @mad dog sent out a flight deck watch shot with a former Marine CA sporting a Breitling, I tried to counter with the Moonwatch, but all you get is the shadow of my wrist!

1662675233147.png

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Son of Griz-O-Copter! Doing the CFI thing today at my home airport, taxied in just as the local Helo flight school on the field was conducting ops. They have multiple Private and Comercial helo students in work and run their Enstrom fleet hard. Although the school insists on flying the standard fixed wing pattern at 1000' AGL. They are profitable but cant for the life of me understand what brings the students in at 0 time. I mentioned to the owner once that the best primary helo trainer was a Cessna 172, and a better model might be to do a helo COMM/instrument add-on after a fledgling pilot achieves COMM INST ASEL. He laughed at me - lol. Flying his helicopters is the name of the game and not student efficiency he said!

View attachment 36259

Bonus - was rehacking night last night and @mad dog sent out a flight deck watch shot with a former Marine CA sporting a Breitling, I tried to counter with the Moonwatch, but all you get is the shadow of my wrist!

View attachment 36260

Dang! That’s an old 28A model. Limited power, lots more throttle twisting, and a bit less stable because of the clean tail (no fins). If you get going with a bit of speed it starts to fish-tail! I’m running my flight review on Saturday and decided to try out a C-172! I’ve never flown in one so it should be fun.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Dang! That’s an old 28A model. Limited power, lots more throttle twisting, and a bit less stable because of the clean tail (no fins). If you get going with a bit of speed it starts to fish-tail! I’m running my flight review on Saturday and decided to try out a C-172! I’ve never flown in one so it should be fun.
I've got a very solid manuever guide for the C172 that I teach off of that should be helpful. I'll PM you a link to download. Will make your life easier.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Finished my BFR (well, I guess they are just FRs) today - it was also my first time flying a Cessna product (a C172 in my case). Many thanks to @ChuckMK23 for the gouge, it put me way ahead of the game. Still, I struggled a bit with the trim (especially on landings) and I didn’t like that I had to practically put the control yoke in the backseat to get it to land. The sight lines were, for me, awful but the instructor did forget to tell me you could raise the seats, so that might help. They make for really nice cruising machines though, nice and stable. I think I’d need about 5 to 10 more hours of high-wing weirdness to master the basics.