• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The sight lines were, for me, awful but the instructor did forget to tell me you could raise the seats, so that might help.

It doesn't help that much. They're still annoying. They are also really heavy on the controls, but then again, I'm spoiled. I do find the 172 seat position to still be better than Piper's, which seems like it's when you get a rental car that was just driven by someone "cruising," with the seat low and reclined too far back.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Nice Friday for a flight, but busy. Andrews AFB (excuse me…Joint Base Andrews) is hosting their air show this weekend so lots of military hardware flying in. Got a nice look at the Thunderbirds as they practiced.

Tried a new camera position and don’t like it. The camera is having a hard time getting the right light settings so the images aren’t that good. Oh well…nice day to fly anyway!

31CB7957-03A4-4C26-939A-2969E33D751F.jpeg39BF86A0-84AD-492E-BD20-A7438CF45783.jpeg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've wondered why so many fairly modern airplanes still have dual jacks but helicopters have had single plugs for decades. It can't be a voltage thing, as plenty of 24v airplanes have dual jacks, as well.

On a related note, Grizz, is the Enstrom a 12v or 24v aircraft? I'm not familiar with how the clutch system works on pistons, but I'm guessing there's some extra "oomph" needed to start an engine attached to rotor blades and a transmission.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I've wondered why so many fairly modern airplanes still have dual jacks but helicopters have had single plugs for decades. It can't be a voltage thing, as plenty of 24v airplanes have dual jacks, as well.

On a related note, Grizz, is the Enstrom a 12v or 24v aircraft? I'm not familiar with how the clutch system works on pistons, but I'm guessing there's some extra "oomph" needed to start an engine attached to rotor blades and a transmission.
With reference to the jacks, it isn’t a voltage thing. There are plenty of 280fx models out there with the more common two-plug jacks and others with the LEMO style. My ship started her life as a “warbird” (ha!) spending a year or two in the Peruvian Army so the standard U-174 was put in. I like it because I also fly with a HGU-56 if I’m flying over rough terrain or lots of open water so no cord adapters needed!

The Enstrom is a 24v aircraft. Older models are 12v but most of those have been modified to 24. Enstrom’s have a mechanical clutch that is engaged once the engine is started. Basically it is a big T-handle used to push a drum wheel into place against the drive belt. It works great but scares the crap out of the uninitiated because it squeals like a wounded pig when you force the belt to engage.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
With reference to the jacks, it isn’t a voltage thing. There are plenty of 280fx models out there with the more common two-plug jacks and others with the LEMO style. My ship started her life as a “warbird” (ha!) spending a year or two in the Peruvian Army so the standard U-174 was put in. I like it because I also fly with a HGU-56 if I’m flying over rough terrain or lots of open water so no cord adapters needed!

The Enstrom is a 24v aircraft. Older models are 12v but most of those have been modified to 24. Enstrom’s have a mechanical clutch that is engaged once the engine is started. Basically it is a big T-handle used to push a drum wheel into place against the drive belt. It works great but scares the crap out of the uninitiated because it squeals like a wounded pig when you force the belt to engage.
Griz did you need to swap out the mic on your HGU helmet to one with standard impedance?

I've always wondered why .mil helmets and headsets have a different impedance ...

ChuckMK23

pilot
Here's one of my student/pax headsets, a 25 year old H10-76 that I bought for under $20 at a DRMO sale, still in vacuum foil packaging. Swapped out military mic with one salvaged from an old broken cheapo headset, added two plug converter, and works great.

PXL_20220917_155225092.jpg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Griz did you need to swap out the mic on your HGU helmet to one with standard impedance?

I've always wondered why .mil helmets and headsets have a different impedance ...
Yep…I had the whole thing converted to civilian and a CEP added. I tried a mil-to-civ cord but mic never worked. In some ways it is quieter then the Bose and actually more comfortable on cross country flights. My HGU has a short cord out the back that I attach to a 36” pigtail with a quick release. It’s a good set up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Enstrom’s have a mechanical clutch that is engaged once the engine is started. Basically it is a big T-handle used to push a drum wheel into place against the drive belt.

So do you have to disengage that for a real auto or does it release if the power is lost?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Releases at the gearbox with a sprag clutch (they call it a running clutch).

Ah, okay, so it basically has two "connection" points, the drum for starting and then the sprag clutch for disengagement during power loss?

I must say, you're not helping with my trepidation of flying in piston helicopters.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Ah, okay, so it basically has two "connection" points, the drum for starting and then the sprag clutch for disengagement during power loss?

I must say, you're not helping with my trepidation of flying in piston helicopters.
That’s about it. The system actually works great. I can’t think of an easier helicopter to auto than an Enstrom. The only pistons that don’t use a belt drive that I can think of are the Bell-47 (always breaking starters) and the Hiller H-12 that utilizes a really cool mercury clutch.

ChuckMK23

pilot

ChuckMK23

pilot
Here at the second week we have 15 JO's and 15 E's...