• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Hot or not?

Department of the Air Force Civilian GS-14 test pilot out of Eglin AFB sporting AF two piece OCP Flight Suit. Name tape reads "DOD CIVILIAN", and front rank insignia has reverse triangle "US" indicating civ personnel...

220817-F-OC707-0301~2.jpeg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I have some of the combat civilian stuff since my job is considered “expeditionary.” On the army side we aren’t allowed to wear any qualification pins earned while on active duty. I didn’t know the services used civilian test pilots.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I have some of the combat civilian stuff since my job is considered “expeditionary.” On the army side we aren’t allowed to wear any qualification pins earned while on active duty. I didn’t know the services used civilian test pilots.
Yep. The presidential test pilot squad has usually been primarily civ + contractors with only a sprinkling of active duty. Of course, every single one of them graduated USNTPS while active duty.

~half of TPS flight instructors are retired civ/ctr too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't really see the point. Don't put rank on the uniform. Done. Everyone manages just fine with this on the Navy side, other than the occasional double-take.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I wanted to get out flying early today because the heat and humidity are getting crazy. No pictures because I spent an hour at low altitude around the field doing hovering, quick stops (so many quick stops) and some cut-gun hover autos. The only bad spot was when an old dude on the field taxied his 172 directly for me while I was hovering over some grass near the runway. I kept waiting for him to turn but he kept coming until I just lifted higher in my hover and he went under me! I’m happy he didn’t come from behind me. He is close to 80 and has a bad reputation on the field.

Maybe I should hire a crew chief!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I will be qualified soon. Where do I send my resume?

View attachment 36155
Standing by after I launched our Huey on a test flight. Since they were still in testing I wasn't allowed to jump on because I am not fully qualified. Will miss the first flight training events next weekend because I will be out of town. :(
Beautiful!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Old stuff in attic gets put to good use…win, win! If I’d kept them I’m pretty sure the day would have come when I asked…”Can I replace a bolt on the Griz-O-Copter with a ranger strap?”
Asked in another thread, but it took me back to a story that belongs here. An oldie but goodie.