• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
That was the -53 before there was a -53.
It was an impressive machine for its day - and indeed provided the engineering interation and knowledge that bore the H-3 nd H-53 helicopters a decade later. The tactical need came out of the "verticle envelopment" lessons of Korea, still fresh in the minds of Marines. Sikorsky made use of the materials and technology of its day - the real innovation was the transmission with multiple drive inputs - the Russians (Soviets) were way ahead of us in rotorcraft transmission design and fabrication. P&W R2800 motors were ised - the same powerplant that propelled the F6F Hellcat and P-47 of WW2 - so much design improvments in this engine - it was the only choice available. Sikorskly built the sponsons around that ginormous engine. This helo also had a surprisingly capable autopilot and superior autorotation characteristics.

This helo was obsolete by the turn of the decade = 1960. Marines flew these early into Vietnam, having forgone the Chinook. I think Marine Reserve squadrons flew these to the late 1960's.

It was ugly - to be sure.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While on the subject of "sexy birds", why was the AH-1 not named after a Native American Tribe?
I think because it was a variant of the UH-1, already the Iroquois. The initial design was called HueyCobra by Bell. After it became the AH-1 it seems Cobra just followed it. That's all I got. I'll ask some of the guys who were around at the time if they have a better answer.