• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

number9

Contributor
Go to Pilot Medical Solutions. For a fee they will evaluate you, tell you to do Thing A and take Test B and then walk your medical through Oklahoma City. It costs some cash but you know what is coming.
Thanks Griz, I'll check them out. I'm happy to pay money to make this go through.

Fallonflyr

pilot
A mild tangent here: Has anyone had any trouble with their VA disability rating hindering their ability to get a medical rating from the FAA? I have a few friends who were recently denied a medical rating due to stuff in their VA file. I'm not too sure on the particulars but it's got me worried whether I'll have an uphill battle to climb with the FAA when I start back up with getting my PPL.

42%, but the real question is what warfare device do their get? Is it time to bring these bad boys back?
Navyballoonbadge.jpg
Blimp pilots back in the day. I fly with guys on 100% disability all the time…depends on what it is for.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I think that's a big part of it. A friend and former co-worker was finishing up his King Air training at a facility where the sim instructors recommended a certain guy in the town the facility was at. Since he was about to deploy for a contracting gig and would expire, he went to the recommended guy. Unfortunately he had a heart murmur he didn't know about (and apparently the Navy never cared about or mentioned) and got screwed.

I'm not arguing your advice as to who the majority of airline pilots go to is probably a good pick. I'm just saying know your source (which I think you're saying, as well).
Sim instructors are pilots but not airline pilots. Never take advice from a guy that flys a pretend airplane in a box…. I am talking about line pilots!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The FAA authorization also includes some toys for general aviation, including continued funding for airfield improvements and an expansion of Basic Med that increases the maximum certified takeoff weight of a covered aircraft to 12,500 pounds (up from 6,000 pounds), increases the number of allowable passengers in a covered aircraft to six (up from five), and increases the allowable number of seats in a covered aircraft to seven (up from six). This section also allows the FAA to employ the third class medical exam form a state-licensed physician uses in completing a comprehensive BasicMed examination.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The FAA authorization also includes some toys for general aviation, including continued funding for airfield improvements and an expansion of Basic Med that increases the maximum certified takeoff weight of a covered aircraft to 12,500 pounds (up from 6,000 pounds), increases the number of allowable passengers in a covered aircraft to six (up from five), and increases the allowable number of seats in a covered aircraft to seven (up from six). 😲

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The FAA authorization also includes some toys for general aviation, including continued funding for airfield improvements and an expansion of Basic Med that increases the maximum certified takeoff weight of a covered aircraft to 12,500 pounds (up from 6,000 pounds), increases the number of allowable passengers in a covered aircraft to six (up from five), and increases the allowable number of seats in a covered aircraft to seven (up from six). This section also allows the FAA to employ the third class medical exam form a state-licensed physician uses in completing a comprehensive BasicMed examination.
PC-12's under Basic Med!!!!! (with 7 seats)

Random8145

How can they just increase the max takeoff weight by that amount?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
How can they just increase the max takeoff weight by that amount?
It’s just Congress congressing…all kidding aside the FAA has been studying this for a bit. Someone put some aircraft data into the gonkulator and came up with that number. The original numbers were kind of based on “what will hurt my roof less when they all start crashing” and when the accident rate didn’t go up things changed. This opens up a bunch of twins, a good number of light helicopters, and every single I can bring to mind. The final step will be to get neighboring nations to accept Basic Med and then simply end the 3rd class medical.

Random8145

It’s just Congress congressing…all kidding aside the FAA has been studying this for a bit. Someone put some aircraft data into the gonkulator and came up with that number. The original numbers were kind of based on “what will hurt my roof less when they all start crashing” and when the accident rate didn’t go up things changed. This opens up a bunch of twins, a good number of light helicopters, and every single I can bring to mind. The final step will be to get neighboring nations to accept Basic Med and then simply end the 3rd class medical.
So for years, the max takeoff weight allowed has actually been significantly under what many aircraft are actually capable of?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
So for years, the max takeoff weight allowed has actually been significantly under what many aircraft are actually capable of?
No sir. The max takeoff weight is set by the manufacturer and listed on the type certificate. I’m not smart on all aircraft specifications, but the initial rub was that you could fly, say, a Cessna 182 (max weight 6000) but not the next level Cessna because the weight was 6500. The same for seating. If you had a Piper that was designated for seven seats you simply couldn’t pull a seat to make the regs, you had to get an STC that permanently “removed” that seat…or on the helicopter side I can fly a Jet Ranger, but not a Long Ranger because it had one seat too many. On the twin side, you could fly a B55, but not a King Air C90. In the end the move also aligned Basic Med with 14 CFR part 1 that identifies a “small airplane” as being under 12,500 lbs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To add what Griz is saying...those numbers also correspond to thresholds of certification. In addition to the above, twins have a certification threshold of 6,000. Any aircraft (other than jets) have a threshold of 12,500, or you need a type rating.

I'm not smart on what else that 6,000 pounds is tied to, and I've never heard it mentioned as it pertains to helicopters. The one I fly now is ~6500-ish, but there's never a question on the check ride about it (other than knowing the numbers).