• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You’ve ironically pointed it out.

The character limit on Twitter makes it a great echo chamber to post mob opinions without any supporting evidence, and to get positive reinforcement through likes and shares.

Kind of like your posts deriding it.
This is the stupidest possible reason for not liking Twitter.

I’m fascinated with geology. All aspects of it - rocks, stratigraphy, volcanoes, seismology, etc. I follow a ton of smart geologists from every field on Twitter. They have interesting things to say about a recent EQ, or eruption, or some expertise or context for some subject I’m interested in. Sometimes, I’ll ask them a question, which spurs a conversation. It’s a way to interact with people you don’t normally have the opportunity to meet in person.

It’s not all about arguing, or politics. It’s about connecting with other people who share your passions and interests.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
CVE-63 (WWII) was named Midway but when some thought that lofty battle deserved a big carrier (not a puny CVE) so the planned CV-41 got it and the name of the -63 was changed to Saint Lo. One month later she was sunk during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Fleet Collier No. 3, the USS Jupiter became the USS Langley. She was sunk in 1942.

The submarine USS Squalus (SS 192) was renamed Sailfish in 1940. Twenty-six sailors died aboard the Squalus when it sank in an accident off Portsmouth, New Hampshire in 1939. The ship was raised, brought back to Portsmouth and rebuilt, re-entering service in 1940 with the new name. She survived the war, but the CO repeatedly threatened the crew that if anyone mentioned the word “squalus” or “squalfish” he would dump them overboard.

Side note...One on the change list I was not aware of until recently is the USS Chancellorsville, CG-62, named after a Confederate battle victory.
Continuing this offramp of racism into ship renaming. Hornfischer wrote a great account of St. Lo in The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors:

“THE OLDEST SALTS ABOARD the USS St. Lo, its chief petty officers, knew a thing or two about ship names. They knew at least this: that according to tradition, it was plain bad luck to have your ship’s name changed when under way during wartime. The blessings of the Navy’s christening ceremony were many and manifold. You just didn’t throw that away. If you did, disaster was sure to follow.”
“When the news came down of the name change, the groans of the chief petty officers reverberated through the ship’s brittle hull so loudly as to defy the rumpus of the Uniflow engines. “Damn Navy,” said an old chief boatswain’s mate. “You don’t change the name of a ship. It’s an ill-fated ship. It’ll be at the bottom of the ocean in two weeks.””

Pags

N/A
pilot
USS Coral Sea (CVE-57) was also renamed; she changed to USS Anzio to give its original name to CVB-43. Despite the name change USS Anzio survived the war.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Midway (CVE 63) commissioned 23 OCT 43
renamed St Lo on 10 OCT 44
sunk by kamikazes 25 OCT

so, the Chief was off by one day with his prediction
Double checks ship's history for places and dates... yep, the renaming and sinking were both on the same side of the international date line and 15 days apart.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
USS Coral Sea (CVE-57) was also renamed; she changed to USS Anzio to give its original name to CVB-43. Despite the name change USS Anzio survived the war.
Thank goodness! I was close to writing “the last one burned down and sank into a swamp.” Indeed there were a lot of name changes and repeated names in WWII.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I really don’t care about all the renaming. Whatever floats your political boat. Pun intended But there is zero reason their shouldn’t be a USS Enterprise in the United States Navy!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Richard Nixon was a U.S. president, a naval officer who deployed to the Pacific theater in World War II, and a desegregationist of schools who enforced Brown v Board of Education. There was one other thing about him but I can’t put my finger on it...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Can't have any statues of Obama or anything named after him either. His mom's side of the family were slave owners.

Mitch McConnell responds to report his ancestors owned slaves by pointing out Obama's did too

The Obama campaign had addressed the reports at the time, telling the Baltimore Sun in March 2007, "it is a true measure of progress that the descendant of a slave owner would come to marry a student from Kenya and produce a son who would grow up to be a candidate for president of the United States."

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Richard Nixon was a U.S. president, a naval officer who deployed to the Pacific theater in World War II, and a desegregationist of schools who enforced Brown v Board of Education. There was one other thing about him but I can’t put my finger on it...
Good old tricky Dick

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not for long I fear.
Oh FFS . . . grab the rope and climb back up the slippery slope, please. What's next, cancelling Star Trek?

f29.png