• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about money

KBayDog

Steve Wilkins said:
Debatable. You won't be rich if you put your money in a savings account...but stocks and real estate are something altogether different.

What about if I put all my money into AirWarriors.com stock?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Also, my wife says to tell you to be sure you live BELOW your BAH level. If you can do this, then you are golden. I live in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country, yet still live about $400+ below my BAH. Unless you need to be in an area where schools are a factor, live way below your means. That $400+ extra I make is tax free and gets invested....$$$$

I could have done this in Hawaii, but I would had to have had a room mate...and he would have had an Ice lab in the other room. Exhibit (a) http://www.aetv.com/dog_the_bounty_hunter/index.jsp

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
......be sure you live BELOW your BAH level. If you can do this, then you are golden. I .....live about $400+ below my BAH. .....That $400+ extra I make is tax free and gets invested....$$$$

Hmmmmm ..... That's a good idea. Not to pick at straws, but at $400/month ... Hey !!! let's call it $500 a month (that's close enough for government work) .... tax-free, you will be a millionaire in 166.66666666666666666667 years. I'm ready. :)

Bottom line: I made a lot of money over the years workin' for the Man .... my take: you will NEVER get "rich" working for someone else ....

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hell, getting the extra $400 (4800/year) invested each month is just a bonus. Like KayBay, I max out mine and my wife's IRA and TSP at $8000 and $15,000 respectively.

However, if I were to start out with nothing today (age 31) and invest only the $400 at a meager 10% return over the next 34 years (assuming it is put into a tax deferred account of course), I would have $1,370,181. Not sure where you get 166 years from. Even at a very conservative return of 8% on that $400 per month for 34 years, you would have $842,648.

Now, if you max out the IRA and TSP as I've described above, you will have $5,645,990 after 34 years at an average 10% return....or just $3,648,427 at the more conservative annualized 8% return over the same period.

Now, is that rich? Hell, I don't know. What I do know is it buys me a pretty sweet motor home to roll around the country in. :D .....and it's not going to take me 167 years to do it in.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Hell ....Now, if you max out the IRA and TSP ........ is that rich? Hell.....it's not going to take me 167 years to do it in.

O.K., potty mouth. You don't kiss your Mom with that mouth, do you ??? Actually ... 166.6666666666666667 years was, how you say in theeeeese country .... a joke??? :)

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, it's all fun and games when you're flying a whale 'round town making $200K+ per year. For the rest of us making peanuts, we gotta eat Ramen noodles if we want to get rich.

KBayDog

Another non-material, non-monetary subject she might want to warm up to is the concept of deployment. Is she going to be "comfortable" with you being gone for 7+ months at a time?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
Perhaps she should get a fucking job. Then she can worry about her own money.
That was my initial hack on this issue, but I wouldn't want to bolster my reputation as a woman basher any more than I already have. :icon_boun

Brett

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
I'm not going to fully bite on this one - I have a job and agree that if a woman is concerned about money, she needs to be contributing. But I wanted to point out that there are a lot of military wives out there that want to work but are unable to find anything worthwhile in these middle-of-nowhere duty stations. Here's a quote from Brett from an old post regarding Whidbey Island, for example:

Brett327 said:
If you're married, your wife will have trouble finding work unless she wants to go off island.

Do I want to work when I get to Whidbey? Yes. Do I think I'll find any computer programming jobs on Whidbey? Probably not. Do I want to commute two hours each way to Seattle? No.

To the original poster - This seems like an easy issue here. The pay scales are all on-line. Make out a sample monthly budget and compare it to the pay scales. She should be able to get a good idea of where you'll stand financially. Also, have her join the Private Spouses Corner forum on this site. She can talk to other wives that are making it work.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
Kathy said:
I wanted to point out that there are a lot of military wives out there that want to work but are unable to find anything worthwhile in these middle-of-nowhere duty stations.

this is me; i've always had a job, even while attending grad school, but haven't been able to find anything here in the 5 months we've been here.

nonetheless, we're still living "comfortably." by no means do we enjoy the same standard of living as when we both worked, especially when we both worked in the civilian sector; however, we don't go hungry, we live in a nice house, and entertain ourselves as best we can in oak harbor. there are definitely areas we've had to cut, but such is life. as long as you live within your means, you'll be comfortable.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kathy said:
I'm not going to fully bite on this one - I have a job and agree that if a woman is concerned about money, she needs to be contributing. But I wanted to point out that there are a lot of military wives out there that want to work but are unable to find anything worthwhile in these middle-of-nowhere duty stations. Here's a quote from Brett from an old post regarding Whidbey Island, for example:
Kathy, you're missing a huge point in this whole thread. The original poster isn't married and was asking a question referring to his GIRLFRIEND. Wives are in a different category. Once married, the salary of one becomes community property. If a certain individual who is the sole breadwinner doesn't want his/her salary to be community property, then said individual should not get married. It's actually pretty simple when you think about it. At any rate, this thread is NOT about wives who don't work but are still concerned with finances. It's about girlfriends who don't work but still want to concern themselve's with their significant others' finances. Like I said, 'girlfriends' and a guy's salary have nothing to do with each other.