• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about money

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
The main concern my girlfriend has right now is money. She is concerned that we will not be able to live comfortably if I were to be a Marine. We would plan on being married before I would start TBS. I don't really have any doubts that we would be able to live comfortably but she would be more at ease if she heard about others going through the same thing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Since you have access to the payscales, I would sit down with her (which is key) and generate a budget using your own expenses. It will show her, realtime, that either everything is fine, or she should dump you for an NBA all-star.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Any college debt? Any other debt? If no then you should be fine...even with you can live pretty well...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ZoomByU said:
The main concern my girlfriend has right now is money. She is concerned that we will not be able to live comfortably if I were to be a Marine.
Ohh baby, don't get me started (again).:icon_rage

Brett

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
My girlfriend had the same concerns a while back. Find out what you'll be making and sit her down like Gator said. It's really competitive with what your civilian buddies are going to be making. As a Brown Bagger figure in BAH. Look at when you contracted and if you'll have any time working for you when you start getting paid. It's pretty good deal, especially if you're going to fly (flight pay), etc.

I've found it's typical that women, who typically know very little about todays military, figure you'll be living in tar paper shacks and they'll be shopping at Max10 or Dollar General for all their clothes.

It would also help to not have any rug rats until you get on your feet. Of course this all depends on your girl. Does she want to be comfortable, or does she want to be loaded?

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
she wants to be comfortable. Ive already sat down with her and showed her the pay scales and such. We worked through our debt which includes car payments, phones, insurance, etc. For the most part do you gus live comfortably?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ZoomByU said:
she wants to be comfortable. Ive already sat down with her and showed her the pay scales and such. We worked through our debt which includes car payments, phones, insurance, etc. For the most part do you gus live comfortably?
Does she work?

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Most definitely, YES! As an O-1 (and you'll be making more than I did as an O-1), if you're not living comfortably, you're living outside your means. So you're not going to be able to drive two new BMWs, but guess what, you'll be flying something w/ beaucoup more horsepower. Independent of kids or being stupid w/ your money, you don't have to worry.

Oh, also, don't include flight pay in your budget, as you won't earn that for quite some time (not until you start Primary).

East

东部
Contributor
Not aware of US salaryscales, but here in Europe you can make a decent living with government pay. Commercially challengend, a lot of my co-workers from the past, make better money in the civvy world (read: Aviation world).

I figure YOU won't start military career for the money alone, so there's something you have to discuss with your g/f. My guess would be; Make her understand what service-life means for YOU.

My wife was a military ATC-er, so I didn't had that discussion ever.

Good luck!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ZoomByU said:
The main concern my girlfriend has right now is money. She is concerned that we will not be able to live comfortably if I were to be a Marine.
Define 'comfortably' for us please. I noticed you used two keywords in one sentence that have nothing to do with each other...they are: 'girlfriend' and 'money'. I don't care how long you've been with this girl, she has no right to the money you earn, minus you being in a select few situations.

Other than providing what you mean by living 'comfortably,' I (and we) have two questions for you. 1) Is she going to be contributing to the household income? 1a) If so, how much 2) How much debt do YOU (note, I didn't say her) have? Only tell me how much debt you both have if she is going to be contributing to the household income.

Ex Rigger

pilot
I've found all kinds of uses for this today.....

chuckslap8do.gif

KBayDog

*Disclaimer: You will NEVER be "rich" solely on a military salary.

1. I was enlisted for 7.5 years; I have always lived "comfortably." It can be done. The key is not to be "stuck on stupid."

2. I am married now, my wife is in grad school (not working), and we are still living "comfortably." In fact, we are living so comfortably, that this year she has attended grad school full-time, we each bought motorcycles, I bought a new truck, we both maxed out our IRAs, I maxed out my TSP, went on a few vacations, and we still accumulated sizeable savings.

Here are a few of our "secrets":

-She clips coupons, and we shop at the commissary as much as possible. It is almost a game to her to see how much she can save each week.

-We go out to eat occasionally, but not every night. You'd be amazed at how much money you piss away when you dine out every day. Also, I brown-bag during the day as much as possible.

-We discuss and define our "needs" and our "wants." Did we need motorcycles? Hell no. In order to make that happen, we did away with some of our prioritized our "wants."

-We budget for today's money, not for what I might make in "X" months due to raises, flight pay, etc. While the military's pay process has gotten a hell of a lot better in the last decade, it is still a good idea not to have 100% confidence that all pay/allowances will kick in when they are supposed to. Also, who knows what the future will bring? What happens if I get into a car wreck tonight, get badly disabled, and get discharged soon? What happens if my orange-and-white bird becomes a smoking hole? Life insurance is good stuff, but it should not be an excuse for living outside one's means.

3. Do not let her opinions determine your future. Don't want to be an ass (though I'm sure I'll piss off the Spouse's Corner), but she is your girlfriend. She is not your wife (if you were married, your finanical situation would be a much bigger deal), or even your fiance. If she decides that she can't live "comfortably" (based on her definition) what are you going to do? Not join? Or will you decide that maybe she's not "the one?" Don't put yourself in a position to make you kick yourself for the rest of your life for making/not making a decision as important as this one.

4. DO NOT become financially irresponsible (i.e., live outside of your means) as an officer.

I hope some of this helps.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
*Disclaimer: You will NEVER be "rich" solely on a military salary.
Debatable. You won't be rich if you put your money in a savings account...but stocks and real estate are something altogether different.

KBayDog said:
...we both maxed out our IRAs, I maxed out my TSP...
Ahh, these words should not be overlooked. If you aren't maxing out AT LEAST your IRA - 4K (and your wife's..another 4K; not girlfriend though) and at least 50% of your max TSP (Thrift Savings Plan - max TSP is 15K, 1/2 of max TSP is 7.5K), then you are wrong.

Also, my wife says to tell you to be sure you live BELOW your BAH level. If you can do this, then you are golden. I live in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country, yet still live about $400+ below my BAH. Unless you need to be in an area where schools are a factor, live way below your means. That $400+ extra I make is tax free and gets invested....$$$$