• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

qualifing weapon at Naval OCS

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
/Threadjack

No way! Where you on the TR when they went through the Red Sea to get to the Gulf and had to go through the Straits of Bab el Mandeb?
Yes I was an OOD then. We were hauling ass to make it to the Gulf in time for the start of the war....

A CVN can out run anything out there in the long haul. A small boy can kiss our ass at the start but given enough of a run, we could catch them and leave them in our wake.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was in VAQ-141 on TR during ODS ....AIRLANT sent a message out saying thou shalt not carry personal firearms. CAG came out and said it's your pink ass on the edge carry what you want. At that point they all came out..... :)
I remember that. I didn't want to mention it because officially - it didn't happen. The Gun Boss and carrier CO were both pissed royally that there were all these personal weapons onboard that were not checked into the armory at the beginning of cruise. They didn;t make an issue of it and let it slide considering the circumstances.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I remember that. I didn't want to mention it because officially - it didn't happen. The Gun Boss and carrier CO were both pissed royally that there were all these personal weapons onboard that were not checked into the armory at the beginning of cruise. They didn;t make an issue of it and let it slide considering the circumstances.

Yep, just had them in a cruise box in the RR. Of course it was manned 24x7 so no biggie but I can see the gunner being a bit piqued.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
What a panty waste.

Yep and I won't mention his name as he did his command tour and some of the young folks likely had him as an instructor. At the time he was a jg that checked aboard the week we left on cruise. He's actually a good guy but this was a bit strange.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Ouch, 1 out of 3 I need to work on my aim. Hopefully Hal Pilot, future experience will fix that :)

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
What does the qual. consist of? (i.e. Shooting what type of target, at what range, needing what score to pass?)

I am thinking of buying a .22 as my first gun for the sole purpose of taking it to the range to learn how to fire a pistol well. Any recommendations (Ruger and Browning seem to be the brands, but models?)?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What does the qual. consist of? (i.e. Shooting what type of target, at what range, needing what score to pass?)

I am thinking of buying a .22 as my first gun for the sole purpose of taking it to the range to learn how to fire a pistol well. Any recommendations (Ruger and Browning seem to be the brands, but models?)?

Can't go wrong with a Ruger. The Ruger .22s are top-notch.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low

When we qualled at OCS a few months ago we used the Beretta 92. Target was a life-size silhouette with areas for 5, 4, 3 and 2 points. It wasn't a normal bulls-eye, the areas were kinda skewed. I would have guessed it was towards "vital organs" or whatnot, but since a headshot was 2 pts, I'd probably be wrong. Anyways, we had a total of 48 shots, with draws, reloading, weakhand shooting, etc, at 3, 7, and 15 yards. 180 pts to qual, 204 for sharpshooter, 228 for expert. 240 points possible.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When we qualled at OCS a few months ago we used the Beretta 92. Target was a life-size silhouette with areas for 5, 4, 3 and 2 points. It wasn't a normal bulls-eye, the areas were kinda skewed. I would have guessed it was towards "vital organs" or whatnot, but since a headshot was 2 pts, I'd probably be wrong. Anyways, we had a total of 48 shots, with draws, reloading, weakhand shooting, etc, at 3, 7, and 15 yards. 180 pts to qual, 204 for sharpshooter, 228 for expert. 240 points possible.

I'm just happy to see they are letting you get your quals at OCS now. When I went through we got to shoot, but no scoring and no opportunity for quals. It was a fun day compared to the regular OCS life, but I wish I had been given the chance to actually get qual'd.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm just happy to see they are letting you get your quals at OCS now. When I went through we got to shoot, but no scoring and no opportunity for quals. It was a fun day compared to the regular OCS life, but I wish I had been given the chance to actually get qual'd.

Sounds like a FAMFIRE. In other words, introduce the pink bodies to weapons they've probably never even seen in real life, let alone shot.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Sounds like a FAMFIRE. In other words, introduce the pink bodies to weapons they've probably never even seen in real life, let alone shot.

Yeah, it's pretty sad imho. Unless it's changed recently, they do the same thing at basic training for the new recruits. I think the recruits only get to shoot 5 live shots, although that's even better than when I went through b/c all they had was a laser system, no real bullets at all.

It's true the Navy doesn't specifically have a need for everyone on a ship being able to shoot 200-300 yards, I think they should do more than just a FAM simply for safety's sake (I don't think a FAM is enough to get people truely comfortable with it)

@RHPF 2nd the vote on the Ruger .22. One of the better factory target pistols out there.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
When we came over, they put out that no one could bring a privately owned weapon for any reason. That was the guidance of MNC-I, aka, branch-nonspecific. But, I dont know if you guys that hang out in the Persian Gulf have a different set of rules.

IMHO, the military-issue M9 is fantastic. It does the trick of self-defense. We wear them on our holster under flight gear. Most people wear the shoulder holster which has the weapon on one side and ammo on the other - with a magazine loaded when flying. Throw over the holster our body armor (chicken plates, for small arms fire) and flight vest outside that, and we look like little kids whose mom dressed them up too much for the snow, waddling our way to school. But once settled in the cockpit we hardly notice. We carry M4 machine guns in the cockpit as well, both for use out the door during flight (we fly door-off) and on the ground should we be forced down.

I was TAD with a Navy unit a few years back and did a small-arms range with them with M9s. They did the normal, two-handed firing, then also did firing with the dominant and non-dominant hand. Man, I am a crappy left-handed firer. But I thought the familiarization was awesome, we dont get to do that in the Army.