• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

qualifing weapon at Naval OCS

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The 22/45 is the same receiver and upper end as the normal Mark III but the grips and everything on the lower end is the same as a standard 1911 .45. They both shoot the same, the difference is that the 22/45 lets you get used to the feel of a .45 in your hand, by which I mean size of the grip, placement of slide release, etc. The big advantage of the 22/45 is it lets you throw pennies at the targets (.22) instead of the quarters required for a .45 bullet.

There isn't much price difference between the two types, but some of the regular Mark III's can be expensive if you go for the competition version, plated barrels, etc.

For plinking and target shooting, either would do great. Since you said this would be your first gun, I'd go with the regular Mark III, http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAPro...famid=55&variation=Target&bct=Yes&type=Pistol
This is the target version, so you have a longer barrel for better accuracy and adjustable rear sights. It's the same price as the standard and you'll shoot better with it, which will make you want to shoot more!

Have fun!

C-40CC

TRASH HAULER FOR LIFE!
3) What is the sidearm that is carried by aircrew?[/quote]

In 7 yrs as aircrew I have never carried a sidearm.. But as a VR crewman my biggest worries are fuel loads, box lunches, what are the hotel accomodations going to be like and does the hotel have a bar?

OldNavy

Refer to answer 1, although I think you can bring any weapon that you can fit in your seat pan (tacair) as long as you provide own ammo. But dont quote me on that.

Plus, the PR's would beat you senseless if you screwed around with the seat pan.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's true the Navy doesn't specifically have a need for everyone on a ship being able to shoot 200-300 yards, I think they should do more than just a FAM simply for safety's sake (I don't think a FAM is enough to get people truely comfortable with it)

You still get the training, it's just later on. There's no real reason for the training command to spend the money on ammo when there's still lots of time before the member actually has to carry. There's plenty of predeployment training done for ship's company w/ plenty of rounds expended.