• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Psycho Russian Pilots

niktam

Only thing that I question at all is that they were able to eject only one of the seats while the pilot remains inside??

I realize that its possible to rig anything, just something i caught

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only thing that I question at all is that they were able to eject only one of the seats while the pilot remains inside??

Pretty standard really.

dr_evil.jpg

Brett

magnetfreezer

Most military planes with ejection seats (that I know of, anyway) have some type of selector to control if both seats eject on either crew handle pull or if they only eject their own seat. I think there are pictures floating around of a F-14 after a SWO got an orientation ride and accidentally pulled the handle in the back seat; after he punched, the pilot flew the canopy-less Tomcat back and landed it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The photo looks altered/shopped. The other photos of the jet preparing to take off and in flight without it's canopy look real. Interesting to note that all the pictures show a scorched back seat without an ejection seat. Where are the photos of the guy in the back without the canopy? Story = BS!

-ea6bflyr ;)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
The in-flight shots of the drop-top jet look perfectly real, but the "action" shot is totally bogus. You can see the scorching on the paint just aft of the cockpit that would have been the result of the rear cockpit ejection, though.

Looks like they ejected on the ground, then flew the jet around afterward with the seat and canopy gone.

Snopes would classify this as "real photos, inaccurate story".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Russians are not the only ones to do that, Martin-Baker still uses two Gloster Meteors for ejection seat testing:

meteor.jpg

And the Canadians used to have a few CT-133's that did ejection seat testing up until just a few years ago:

670_133413.jpg

BTW, do they still have a red star for a fin-flash? Dunno when the pic was "taken."

Russian aircraft still have the red star.

Wasn't it over Iraq that some Captain (SWO type I believe) ejected himself from an F-14 and the pilot was able to land it??

No. Fallon.

Yup, I got there 3 days after it happened and the plane was sitting in the hangar the whole time I was there. Here is the pilot's version and a Navy Times article. When I left I heard they were trying to figure out where to get a good canopy, apparently it was not easy.

cockpit.jpg

Reactions: E26

macattack

On second thought, if you zoom way in on the pic, there's what looks like PS blending around the bottom of the intake, although some of the other pics do have some charring/discoloration from the rocket motor. Whether it's Photoshopped - who knows, but at least the staged ejection is possible, unlike the mach 2 sans canopy. BTW, do they still have a red star for a fin-flash? Dunno when the pic was "taken."

Brett

Yeah they still do have the red star. They were actually going to get rid of it in favor of a Russian flag or something (you know, not so Soviet), but then decided to keep the star except outlined in the red/white/blue of the Russian flag. Silly Russkies...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That doesn't even make any sense. After 2:54, I have no idea what that movie is about. Horrible. F.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
There were filming in Fallon during the last SWTI class. Rumor was they got kicked out after a few days due to some permits and FAA violations against the pilots.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I never realized the Russkies spent so much time flying low levels directly over the Kremlin.