• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Psycho Russian Pilots

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
YGBFSM Frolov!! Yeah, it looks like another ejection 'caught' on camera, but apparently this was planned! Let the debate begin.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=3524

00000122ad33bf521982c868004300c0002e001c.Sukhoi%20ejection%20in%20flight.jpg

P3 F0

None
While my rational brain says the story is BS, I've also seen the conditions some of the Russian officers live in when they're living on base. It's disgusting. Many of them would jump at the chance to earn some extra money. And they just don't think about risk in the same frame of reference we do. They fly with aircraft that would be hard down for us, and they don't think twice about it.

Since the pics look real enough to me, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt until proven false.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The story has to be BS, but that is a cool jet.

Yeah, I'll buy that they staged an ejection for a film - I guess they've never heard of CGI over there. But flying the thing around at mach 2 sans canopy? I seriously doubt that.

Brett

RabidMoose

ok I am far from an aerodynamics expert but would that jet even be capable of reaching those speeds without its canopy. I'm guessing not having a canopy like that would increase the drag coefficient by quite a bit. I would also venture to guess that all of the extra forces being exerted would comprimise the integrity of the entire jet. I say BS.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
They also mentioned that it was very cold because it was wintertime. That would pretty much be irrelevant, as temperatures aloft at the altitudes they were at are close to 0 C or subzero year around.

Lawman

None
ok I am far from an aerodynamics expert but would that jet even be capable of reaching those speeds without its canopy. I'm guessing not having a canopy like that would increase the drag coefficient by quite a bit. I would also venture to guess that all of the extra forces being exerted would comprimise the integrity of the entire jet. I say BS.

Doubtful.

First theres the fact that drag from all the non steamlined crap in the cockpit would be a huge issue.

Second even if you could get up to those speeds its doubtful the pilot would be able to operate. Ejection survivability goes down at those kinds of speeds and all you have to do is ride the damn thing.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
imagesthis-2dlooks-2dshopped.thumbnail.jpg

i know how to use adobe photoshop and this was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the pic

SkywardET

Contrarian
imagesthis-2dlooks-2dshopped.thumbnail.jpg

i know how to use adobe photoshop and this was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the pic
There is certainly an interesting halo around the ejection seat. That being said, I don't remember any stereotypes about Russians being sane.:D

Raptor2216

Maybe i'm just reading into this too much but take a look at the elevator in the picture. Is it just me or does that look like way too much nose down trim? I know i've seen pictures of it on the ground with the elevator in that position but not in the air. Just a thought.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Yeah, I'll buy that they staged an ejection for a film - I guess they've never heard of CGI over there. But flying the thing around at mach 2 sans canopy? I seriously doubt that.

Brett
I agree with Brett on this one. It looks like the ejection is real; I just don't buy in to the mach 2 BS.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Maybe i'm just reading into this too much but take a look at the elevator in the picture. Is it just me or does that look like way too much nose down trim? I know i've seen pictures of it on the ground with the elevator in that position but not in the air. Just a thought.

Good eye....unless they started to unload it for some reason the instant that photo was taken, I'd say that position is pretty excessive for level flight.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with Brett on this one. It looks like the ejection is real; I just don't buy in to the mach 2 BS.

On second thought, if you zoom way in on the pic, there's what looks like PS blending around the bottom of the intake, although some of the other pics do have some charring/discoloration from the rocket motor. Whether it's Photoshopped - who knows, but at least the staged ejection is possible, unlike the mach 2 sans canopy. BTW, do they still have a red star for a fin-flash? Dunno when the pic was "taken."

Brett