• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Protests in Iran

Bevo16

pilot
beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Read the post above yours and step away from the dead animal.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I should know better than to jump into the middle of this thread......and I do.... so I won't. :D

Popcorn, please.
popcorn2mg6.jpg

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
How could issuing a statement of condemnation of the violent persecution of the peaceful, youthful, pro-Western protesters be considered meddling??
Wonder if Mousavi wants strong words from Pres Obama, as it would be an easy point for the hardliners to call Mousavi and his "reform" a tool of the West. Seems like the White House is walking that careful line of not trying to favor one side or the other too much, and there is little gained with a statement beyond what has already been given.

Bevo16

pilot
Wonder if Mousavi wants strong words from Pres Obama, as it would be an easy point for the hardliners to call Mousavi and his "reform" a tool of the West. Seems like the White House is walking that careful line of not trying to favor one side or the other too much, and there is little gained with a statement beyond what has already been given.

I agree that it is a delicate situation, but I don't think that a statement saying something along the lines of "Hey, it's not a good thing for state police to be killing protesters." could be seen as support of one side or the other.

If Obama is paying attention to the bio of the "reform" candidate he will see that there is not much there to support. The people of Iran who would like to break free from the 19th century are the people that I would like us to support. That gets even more tricky. I wish them well, and hope they stay safe. Freedom is worth fighting for though, and I hope they can change their own country for the better without any "help" from us. It make take a little blood to get the ball rolling.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree that it is a delicate situation, but I don't think that a statement saying something along the lines of "Hey, it's not a good thing for state police to be killing protesters." could be seen as support of one side or the other.

If Obama is paying attention to the bio of the "reform" candidate he will see that there is not much there to support. The people of Iran who would like to break free from the 19th century are the people that I would like us to support. That gets even more tricky. I wish them well, and hope they stay safe. Freedom is worth fighting for though, and I hope they can change their own country for the better without any "help" from us. It make take a little blood to get the ball rolling.

I think he agrees with that statement:
Obama intervew 6/16/09 said:
Well, I think first of all, it's important to understand that although there is amazing ferment taking place in Iran, that the difference between Ahmadinejad and Mousavi in terms of their actual policies may not be as great as has been advertised. Either way, we were going to be dealing with an Iranian regime that has historically been hostile to the United States, that has caused some problems in the neighborhood and is pursuing nuclear weapons. And so we've got long-term interests in having them not weaponize nuclear power and stop funding organizations like Hezbollah and Hamas. And that would be true whoever came out on top in this election.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Not to mention our support of Iraq during their war with Iran. Iraq was clearly the aggressor and that war cost a lot of Iranian lives. Even if we forget that I'll bet older Iranians don't.
Iraq may have been the aggressor, but it was Iran that started mining the Gulf and attacking Saudi / Kuwaiti / merchant ships. If Iran had kept it between them and Iraq, we might have reacted differently. It was Iran that shot a missile into the USS Stark.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
No, it was an Iraqi Mirage F-1 firing an exocet.
Opps....you're right......I knew that......

But it was the Iranians attacking merchant ships and laying mines that brought us in. I flew there 1988-89 time frame and the Iraqi's stuck to attacking Iran where the Iranians attacked everyone.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
No, it was an Iraqi Mirage F-1 firing an exocet.

The first one hit but didn't detonate; the second one exploded in some berthing spaces. They must have done a fantastic job with damage control to survive a couple of hits and subsequent fire. What's up with Exocets not exploding? 1/2 on Stark, and Glamorgan & Sheffield in the Falklands...

Iraq may have been the aggressor, but it was Iran that started mining the Gulf and attacking Saudi / Kuwaiti / merchant ships. If Iran had kept it between them and Iraq, we might have reacted differently. It was Iran that shot a missile into the USS Stark.

No but they did mine the U.S.S. Samuel B. Roberts, which spurned a retaliatory surface-to-surface engagement - Preying Mantis

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That ship's namesake has seen it's fair share of historically significant action, that much is certain.

Had as buddy who was on that ship when it happened (in the HSL det). Pretty crazy story.

Brett

Bevo16

pilot
Your joke is kind of crude, but the dude taking the picture with his camera phone really takes the cake.