• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Protests in Iran

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
That is the problem with main stream media. They will not show anything that shocking...when they showed this on TV they blurred out her face. That totally abrogated the impact of her death. I probably watched this video 4 or 5 times, made my wife see it, and lost sleep that night thinking about this girl. It struck home because of how personal and intimate the shot was when she lapsed into unconsciousness before she died.

The TV we get here tends to be sanitized, and I believe that is an injustice to us as consumers of this information.

We should see the world as it is, not filtered, and "prettied up" for the 8 o' clock news.
I don't need to see someone die to be troubled by it, nor does my wife. If you need to see the real thing, I'm sure there are tons of websites you can look up vids of that. Not sure if I would want my son's or daughter's death played out on the 6 o'clock news for people's consumption.

I get some of your point, however, if we watch deaths unedited on the television you know what would happen:
You get so used to watching that crap on the news, you get desensitized to it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't think of another country where we meddled, that supposedly hates us so.
Cuba comes to mind, as does Nicaragua.

Most individual Iranians love Americans and like the US.
You're painting with a pretty broad brush here. Whatever the number of sympathetic Iranians, we're not dealing with them - we're dealing with the authoritarian regime that, in one way or another, represents them. Regardless of exactly who in Iran perpetuates the hatred (populace or government), it does persist for any number of reasons. As you know, many cultures hold grudges for generations, so it's not terribly useful to apply American standards to the legitimacy of their beef with us. No doubt that Iran has done everything it can to make life difficult for the US - agreed. None of that, however, absolves us of the responsibility for our own part in creating the situation. People want to put the blinders on and blame Iran as the sole malevolent force at work. We have to acknowledge our own deeds - not to assign blame, but to learn from our own mistakes.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Cuba comes to mind, as does Nicaragua....
Cuba and 95% of Cubans fuckin' L-O-V-E us ... they can hardly wait for 'us' to return w/ a bunch of parts for a '59 Chevy or Ford or Dodge .... just not the Commies ... the guys in power ... THEY don't 'like' us ... mirror image for Nicaragua ... ditto for Venezuela ....

But Panama ... the Philippines .... Guam .... the Territory of Hawaii .... the Republic of Texas ... the list goes on, an' on, an' on .... :) ... they pretty much 'love us' (if that's your criteria for feelin' good about yourself) ... and like most of the rest of the world -- they REALLY like those Yankee Greenbacks!!!!

My Iranian
HNL limo driver absolutely L-O-V-E-S me ... :) ... so much so that he wanted me to 'invest' in his business .... :eek:

True love, to be sure ... but I passed. :sleep_125

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cuba comes to mind, as does Nicaragua.
Cuba I'll give ya, don't know how I missed it. Although they really are in a different league then Iran. Nicaragua, no, don't buy that. Recent elections haven't always gone the way we would have liked, but they do have elections with a variety of candidates and no bars to candidacy. They have plenty of US and other foreign investment, a growing population of US ex pats, no anti American protests in the streets, or frequent references to the former US meddling. All they have done is elect a few former protagonists from the old days. That is just nostalgia.

You're painting with a pretty broad brush here. Whatever the number of sympathetic Iranians, we're not dealing with them - we're dealing with the authoritarian regime that, in one way or another, represents them.

That is the problem, we aren't dealing with the people that are for a more free and fair Iran. We are ignoring them so that our president can make good on a campaign promise and deal directly with the thuggish government in place. BTW, it isn't such a broad brush at all. There are numerous reports of friendly, even pro American sympothies in Iran.
Regardless of exactly who in Iran perpetuates the hatred (populace or government), it does persist for any number of reasons.

It is a pretty closed society. The state controls text books, universities, news media, entertainment. The government perpetuates and orchestrates anti US views. You are naive to think otherwise. The majority of the population knows only what their government tells them about the Shah and any US involvement in their history. It is amazing how pro US Iran is under those circumstance.
As you know, many cultures hold grudges for generations, so it's not terribly useful to apply American standards to the legitimacy of their beef with us.
Some do, but most have found that on the world stage it is not conducive to advancement. The Turks still have serious issues with the Greeks. But they served together in NATO and have maintained peace for many years. They don't have their government leaders talking smack at the UN. Iran is pretty darn unique. As to the Iran, they don't seem to hold the same grudges against the others that have done them harm over the years. Our problem isn't with the grass roots in Iran. It is with the government. That is a fact most Iranians know, which is why they actually like Americans. They can divorce the bickering of the two governments from the people.
No doubt that Iran has done everything it can to make life difficult for the US - agreed. None of that, however, absolves us of the responsibility for our own part in creating the situation. People want to put the blinders on and blame Iran as the sole malevolent force at work. We have to acknowledge our own deeds - not to assign blame, but to learn from our own mistakes.

I don't have blinders on. Iran IS the sole malevolent force in this crisis and has been for nearly 30 years. In 30 years what has the US done to make the typical Iranian's life so miserable? What horrible legacy of the Shah causes gasoline shortages in Tehran and super high unemployment? What horrible thing did the US do to cause the right thinking governments of the world to denounce the Iranian government's actions in the streets these last several days. As a citizen of the US and even a member of the military at the time we supported the Shah, I accept responsibility for what our government did during the Cold War as a necessity of war. It furthered the interests of our country in a struggle with a more deadly foe. I do not accept the fact that the legacy of those actions should naturally still cause the level of official hate we witness in Iran. I do not accept that women are third class citizens in Iran because of our actions from the 50 and 60s. Iran is where it is because the mullahs and their stooges have orchestrated it. And if you want to argue the mullahs are in charge because of the US support of the Shah, I'll argue that we got mullahs in charge because an inept President Carter handled the Shah wrongly and when his end was near handled the transition even more poorly. We didn't come down on the side of freedom when we had a chance to control the transition and now we turn our backs on freedom for Iran once again. How's that a reason for holding a grudge?

Go Horns

I'm not going to get into this discussion but here's an interesting tidbit. I studied Persian for two years during undergrad and for one of those years our textbook was a 5th grade level Iranian Geography textbook (ordered from Iran through an NGO over there). In the chapter on the Middle East, instead of "Israel", they had that area labeled as "Occupied Palestine." No shit guys. Also, inside the front cover there was a picture of Ayatollah Khomenei and a short blurb about how hard he fought for the people of Iran and essentially how great of a hero he was.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not going to get into this discussion but here's an interesting tidbit. I studied Persian for two years during undergrad and for one of those years our textbook was a 5th grade level Iranian Geography textbook (ordered from Iran through an NGO over there). In the chapter on the Middle East, instead of "Israel", they had that area labeled as "Occupied Palestine." No shit guys. Also, inside the front cover there was a picture of Ayatollah Khomenei and a short blurb about how hard he fought for the people of Iran and essentially how great of a hero he was.

This should be of no surprise to you or anyone else. This is what repressive dictatorships do regularly.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Turks still have serious issues with the Greeks. But they served together in NATO and have maintained peace for many years. They don't have their government leaders talking smack at the UN.

There is far more tension there than most people realize, they still lock horns regularly.

In 30 years what has the US done to make the typical Iranian's life so miserable?

Well, we did blow one of their airliners out of the sky. That didn't really help things......

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is far more tension there than most people realize, they still lock horns regularly.

Yup, in fact, I was just over there. Long before that I was on the N3 staff for NAVEUR. I think I have a bit of a feel for it. But again, neither the Greek nor the Turk governments stoke the flames among the peeps like the Iranians. It just isn't the same. Like you said, most people don't know about the occasional tussle between Greece and Turkey. But the whole world knows that American is the great Satan and some believe because we supported the Shah it is our fault women are stoned in Iran, demonstrators are beaten by police, and the Iranians believe they need a nuke. You don't see Turkey acquiring nukes because of issues with Greece and Greeks don't protest in the streets of Athens or even Cyprus calling the Turks Satan.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Well, we did blow one of their airliners out of the sky. That didn't really help things......
I was part of that incident and to this day I think the shot was justified based on the information on hand and the other events taking place simultaneously. There are a lot of unanswered questions about exactly why that plane was there and what it was doing at the time too. One in the unclass realm I can think of as an example is why were there bloated bodies floating in the wreckage within hours of the shoot down when it takes days for a body to bloat?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was part of that incident and to this day I think the shot was justified based on the information on hand and the other events taking place simultaneously. There are a lot of unanswered questions about exactly why that plane was there and what it was doing at the time too. One in the unclass realm I can think of as an example is why were there bloated bodies floating in the wreckage within hours of the shoot down when it takes days for a body to bloat?

Conspiracy theories now? Seriously?

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Justified or not we did shoot down an airliner filled with innocent civilians, that is pretty much irrefutable.

Brett is right, our hands are not clean when it comes to recent Iranian history. The Iranians have definitely been the aggressors/instigators since the revolution, but we were no angels. Just it justify the support Iran gives to terrorists or any of the other crap they pull? No, but it helps explain why we are taking a pretty 'hands-off' approach to the current crisis.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett is right, our hands are not clean when it comes to recent Iranian history. The Iranians have definitely been the aggressors/instigators since the revolution, but we were no angels. Just it justify the support Iran gives to terrorists or any of the other crap they pull? No, but it helps explain why we are taking a pretty 'hands-off' approach to the current crisis.

What I don't understand is why we are obligated to do the wrong thing now ( not supporting democracy and regime change in Iran, let alone vigorous and early denunciation of state violence against protesters) just because we debatably did the wrong thing over 30 years ago? I agree the saber rattling some wish the President would do is not appropriate. But, support for basic freedoms like political demonstration and untainted elections are part of the values the President has said we are getting back to. Or has the effort to close Gitmo and stopping waterboarding not restored our values any quicker then a wasteful economic stimulus plan has improved the economy? Does the President actually think the state police will kill and arrest fewer people because he is taking a hands off approach? Is he afraid we will be called names or Iran will pursue nukes? No wait, they are already doing that. Does he hope the Mullahs will thank him for taking a hands off approach? The protesters certainly will not. If the protests fail to ignite real reform, so be it. In the long run, they will have a positive impact that may not again be felt for many years. Lets remember, when the President of the U.S. stands for liberty, peaceful assembly and fair elections in any country, he does so in every country. Supporting the people in the streets of Tehran provides strength and encouragement to people in places like Cuba, Venezuela, and Tibet. I happen to believe that this President would be taking the exact same approach if this were Venezuela or Tibet, where we do not have the history you and Brett think limits the President's option. I think on this, the President is naturally timid. It goes to the relativism and moral equivalency common to the liberal mind set. "Who are we to tell them what to do?" "We have seen blood shed in our streets over political protests and didn't appreciate foreign meddling" If people want to argue that Bush went too far and was too idealist in spreading democracy around the world, then Mr. Obama has, so far, gone too far in the opposite direction. Nascent groups of reformers and political prisoners the world over have made note of our timid response to date and they are disheartened. That is a shame.