• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Protests in Iran

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
This is very encouraging to see. I checked on my facebook and a few of my cousins are in Tehran protesting Ahmadinejad's "victory".

Finally it looks like the people are not going to just sit by and stay silent any longer. The youth of my generation have access to satellite TV, the internet, etc etc...and see what freedoms they are missing out on and what the outside world (outside of Iran anyway) is really like and are leading the charge in all of this.

On a personal note, I hope everyone in my family that decided to go out and protest stay safe.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/13/iran.election/index.html

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Good for them. On a side note, this is the first Iranian protest that I can remember without people burning U.S. flags and our president in effigy.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
encouraging...hopefully this won't be the Tiannenemen sp? of our generatiion.

Bevo16

pilot
Looks about like South Memphis on November 4th, except that they are burning things in protest instead of celebration.

Nice Pic BTW:

Did you pick her up in Newport or is that one of Oklahoma's finest?

jtmedli

pilot
From what FOX NEWS said all candidates were pre-approved by the current president anyways so it wouldn't have made a big difference who was elected. Pretty big shame though. The average people of that country seem to be somewhat pro U.S. and western culture from what little I've seen. Obviously the Hizbollah and Syrian terrorist influences tend to ruin that image.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is of no consequence. The Iranian president has very little actual power and does not set policy. He is a figurehead and mouthpiece of the Supereme Leader/Ayatollah.

Brett

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
It is of no consequence. The Iranian president has very little actual power and does not set policy. He is a figurehead and mouthpiece of the Supereme Leader/Ayatollah.

Brett

I think you're missing the point. No one expects anything to change over night or any time soon. The protests, however, are a sign that things are moving in the right direction. The people gathering together in protest against an oppressive government is the first step in the long road to real democracy. People have to demand and create their own democratization movement. This is encouraging to see. A rigged or falsified election may be the spark needed to ignite such a movement. Such was the case with the so-called Orange Revolution in Ukraine in 2004. Hopefully this starts Iran's popular march towards democracy.

jtmedli

pilot
I think you're missing the point. No one expects anything to change over night or any time soon. The protests, however, are a sign that things are moving in the right direction. The people gathering together in protest against an oppressive government is the first step in the long road to real democracy. People have to demand and create their own democratization movement. This is encouraging to see. A rigged or falsified election may be the spark needed to ignite such a movement. Such was the case with the so-called Orange Revolution in Ukraine in 2004. Hopefully this starts Iran's popular march towards democracy.

Yeah this is what I was getting at. Seems like the people want a change and the govt doesn't. Time for a revolution I suppose. Now if we could only get Americans to get so upset about our politicians' idiocies.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah this is what I was getting at. Seems like the people want a change and the govt doesn't. Time for a revolution I suppose. Now if we could only get Americans to get so upset about our politicians' idiocies.

Yeah, revolution for us is a bad idea. Despite what you think about the people in charge, we have checks and balances. Even if some peoples opinions are pretty far left/right, they're still better than what other countries have to deal with.

jtmedli

pilot
Yeah, revolution for us is a bad idea. Despite what you think about the people in charge, we have checks and balances. Even if some peoples opinions are pretty far left/right, they're still better than what other countries have to deal with.

I was just referring to Iran with the revolution comment. I just hate how our country is largely politically ignorant as to whats going on. Most of my friends and co-workers have no clue and wanna tell me about how great of job the government is doing. Pretty annoying when they can't even tell me who the speaker of the house is but they wanna talk about how everything is so great.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett

.....The protests, however, are a sign that things are moving in the right direction. The people gathering together in protest against an oppressive government is the first step in the long road to real democracy.......This is encouraging to see. A rigged or falsified election may be the spark needed to ignite such a movement. Such was the case with the so-called Orange Revolution in Ukraine in 2004. Hopefully this starts Iran's popular march towards democracy.

As much as I would like things to change in Iran I don't think anything significant is going to happen. The security forces and the ruling mullahs have too much power and are still loyal to the government. They might not like Ahmadinejad all that much but he will largely maintain the status quo, which is fine with the others in charge. I imagine these protests will fizzle out much as the student protests in the late 90's did, with the government helping out by suppressing them with arrests and other intimidation.

Bevo16

pilot
By and large, it's all a waste of time anyway.

Who is this "moderate" Mirhossein Mousavi, and why the hell does anyone think he would be any better than the current guy? Remember that every man who runs for office must first be approved by the Iranian Mullahs who control the country. That, more than anything, determines the future of Iran. And that should show us that this man was no moderate. The Weekly Standard gives us this bit of history on the world's reform candidate:

In 1981, when Mousavi first appeared, UPI explained that "Appearances aside, Mousavi heralds a more vigorous propagation of the radical Islamic foreign policy of exporting Iran's revolution." In 1987, Reuters quoted Mousavi at a demonstration in Tehran saying "Tomorrow will be the day we step on the Great Satan. Tomorrow is the time for America to see our iron fists." And in 1989, after the death of Ayatollah Khomeini, the Washington Post described Mousavi as "a leading radical who in the past has competed with Khamenei for primacy in setting government policy pledged subservience, along with his entire cabinet, to the new leader."

In 1988, Reuters reported on a radio address by Mousavi to the Iranian people:

In a Foreign Ministry statement read on Tehran radio today, Iran said that Israel should be annihilated and that implicit recognition of it by the Palestine Liberation Organisation ignored the inalienable rights of the Muslim Palestinan people.

The statement said that the only way to achieve Palestinian rights was continuation of all-out popular struggles against Israel.

Iranian Prime Minister Mir-Hossein Mousavi yesterday called Israel a"cancerous tumour" and said the Palestinian move to accept UN Resolution 242 would anger Muslim revolutionaries.

In 1989, Mousavi called for Salman Rushdie to be killed. The Times (London) reported that "Mr Mir-Hossein Mousavi, the Prime Minister, said the Ayatollah Khomeini's order that Mr Rushdie should be killed 'will undoubtedly be carried out and the person who has become a tool of Zionists against Islam and brazenly attacked it and the Prophet will be punished', according to Tehran Radio." And in that same year, the Washington Post described Mousavi as a "leading hardliner," with links to regime attempts to assassinate political opponents in exile.

Mousavi is also regarded as the father of Iran's nuclear project.

This is what the world is calling a moderate. One who calls for the destruction of the state of Israel. So it is safe to say that no matter who wins the election, and despite the hope in many quarters of the world that things will change in the middle east, the status quo will remain the same. The names may change, but not much else. And how frightening is it to Israel, that the world can view this man as a reformer?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

What point am I missing exactly? If you think Iran is going to suddenly and spontaneously erupt into some kind of democratic revolution, you need to put your bong down and do little more reading on the subject. The regime there isn't going anywhere any time soon. This is the same line of wishful thinking that got us into trouble in Iraq. Instant democracy is a pipe dream, and you can put that in your bong and smoke it. :D

Brett

SkywardET

Contrarian
Instant democracy is a pipe dream, and you can put that in your bong and smoke it. :D
Instant Democracy... Is that what it's called these days?

It's encouraging to see signs of life in Iran, and I hope that your family stays safe OUSOONER. I think that protests in that country, just like in this country (nowadays), will not accomplish anything except to make the protesters feel good.

hurricane221

Obviously, the results are already being disputed and in my humble opinion if the results have been rigged why on earth would the Ahmadinejad people go ahead and give him nearly 63% of the vote. My guess is the Ahmadinejad people would have had made it far closer say in the 54-56% range. This leaves a couple of options namely the unlikely possibility that the results are legitimate. Next is that the Ahmadinejad people were willing to risk/misjudged the possibility of protests for the appearance of nationwide unity. In the likely situation which Ahmadinejads supporters have really screwed this up, my guess is things will get nasty very quickly as the disconnect grows between the very conservative elements and the more moderate pro US/quality of life Iranians. We will ultimately know very quickly if the protests gain sustained traction or not to shed some light on what is actually happening on many levels.

-.02-