• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Probation and Recruiter Enlisting

briant

Hey what's up, I am currently a Junior in high school. I commited a crime (burglary, bad mistake), and i am pretty sure i am going to be on probation. my recruiter told me he can talk to my PO or Judge and try to talk them to get me off or lower my probation so i could join the marines. What he said though, was if he did this for me, I HAVE to go to boot camp the next summer. I am serious about joining one of the forces, but i am not 100%. He also said something about his name, and the marine corps name not being on the paper, so and I am a little confused about that part. Maybe there was some miscommunication. I want to be a pilot, either in the Marines or Air Force. He told me the air force would not talk to the po for me. I can't make up my mind exactly right now if i want to be enlisted, i was planning on having a whole 'nother year to think about it. Could he have given me the wrong information? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So, if he tries to talk to the judge in order to reduce your probation period, you have to enlist for him? hmmm... sounds a bit shady to me (I mean its not like you were already in the process of enlisting- and he can't garuntee anything and doesnt want his name or the USMC name attached to doing if for you...) Why don't you hire a lawyer? Granted it will cost you, but at least you'll have legit legal representation and won't be forced/coerced into enlisting when you are unsure. If you want to be a pilot in the Marines or Air Force, you have to be an officer.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

MasterBates

If you can get a plea bargain, IN WRITING, that by enlisting in the armed forces, this is expunged from your record, than I would do it.

If you want to fly, the burglary conviction, is not going to fly.

zacharyj53

If I were you I would do it in a heartbeat. While I was in the process of enlisting in the USMC I got in trouble and my recruiter saved my butt with the judge. Got my undergrad while in and got out for a few years. During that time I got my masters and going into the Navy now as a SNA. Like MB said if you have that on your record it is going to be hard to get a pilot slot. Many on here will tell you that going enlisted to officer is tough, which it is, but as shown by many on here it can be done.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If you can get a plea bargain, IN WRITING, that by enlisting in the armed forces, this is expunged from your record, than I would do it.

If you want to fly, the burglary conviction, is not going to fly.

I would agree that getting something dismissed/expunged is a good deal (Unless a lawyer can get the same thing). However, if it is just to get a probation period reduced....

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
If this is going to save you from something on your record, and you were considering enlisting in the USMC anyway, by all means, make it happen. I got in trouble when I was younger, and if I had that kind of opportunity, I would have jumped all over it. Keep in mind, as others have already said, you need to be an Officer to be a pilot, so talk to your recruiter about what it's going to take to get you through college after a few years on the enlisted side. If you're good enough at your job, you can get moved along quickly towards college. Case in point:
montel.gif

Again I say, if this is going to save your butt from getting a record DO IT. Dealing with this stuff is easier if its not actually on your record.

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
^^^^
I'm not saying Montel Williams had a Record, but I am saying he moved on from his duty as an enlisted Marine to a commissioned Officer in the Navy, via the USNA. Cheers.

KC130FE

Livin' the Life!
Are you 18? Were you 18 when the crime was committed? Are there other extenuating circumstances, (was it classified as a felony, burglary along with vandalism, how many counts, etc...) Provided you serve and complete your sentence, whether it be community service or time in the slam and pay in full any restitution, you can usually join with a waiver. You will not be qualified for certain programs, usually anything that involves a security clearance, and that would include just about every aviation program. Marine recruiters use MCO P1100.72C, Military Personnel Procurement Manual Vol 2, as the primary reference for enlistment. There was mention in a previous post regarding expungement. Here is what the MPPM says about that:
Expungement. Some states have established procedures for the subsequent "expunging of the record", "dismissal of charges", or "pardon" upon evidence of rehabilitation of the offender. Such action has the legal effect of extinguishing the initial "conviction" or "adverse juvenile adjudication" so that, under state law, the applicant has no record of conviction or adverse juvenile adjudication. In spite of this action, the record must be revealed and a waiver of the applicant's disqualification(s) is required at the proper enlistment decision level.
My advice, get a lawyer, be honest and keep that recruiter honest. You don't owe him nothing regardless of what he does. He was right about one thing. If you pop on deck for moral issues and his name or the Corps comes up to the MEPS wiennies as trying fix this issue, you will be disqualified and his ass will be in a sling. Good luck!​

briant

Chances of becoming a pilot with former arrest?

EDIT: Hey! This is a new post almost a year later from my last post. The admins do a great job finding and adding to it. I appreciate all of your answers!

Hey,
When I just turned 17 years old, I was arrested for stealing. (2 Cell phones, I think it was a felony). My judge gave me a deferred judgement, so all I had to do was community service and be on probation for one year. I was never convicted.

Just yesterday though, I was talking to a Marine recruiter. He told me that to be a pilot, you have to be flawless. Even though I was not convicted, I was once arrested so I am "guilty by association" and "questionable", so that basically brings my chances of becoming a pilot down to zero.

He said to make up for that, I should enlist, and then transfer to ROTC. He said if I just do ROTC which I plan to do, it means jack and shit. ROTC is just a college class, not real military.

I am 18 years old now, my probation sentence will be over in 2 weeks. I have a few months to decide now to Enlist (Which I am against, because I really believe in education and want to get that first), or go into ROTC. I am really scared what that recruiter said is true, so I am asking for your guy's professional opinion.

By the way, I will be going Air Force.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By the way, I will be going Air Force.

1) Recruiter exists to "recruit" so don't fall into that trap; talk to an OSO if you want to fly

2) If you want to go Air Force, you are wasting our time (and your's) asking questions here. Go to Baseops.net and ask there. They are the AW counterpart for all things USAF

briant

1) Recruiter exists to "recruit" so don't fall into that trap; talk to an OSO if you want to fly

2) If you want to go Air Force, you are wasting our time (and your's) asking questions here. Go to Baseops.net and ask there. They are the AW counterpart for all things USAF

1) How do I go about finding an OSO?
2) Sorry, had no idea about that site. Will do!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Just yesterday though, I was talking to a Marine recruiter. He told me that to be a pilot, you have to be flawless. Even though I was not convicted, I was once arrested so I am "guilty by association" and "questionable", so that basically brings my chances of becoming a pilot down to zero.

You have a PM...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I just turned 17 years old, I was arrested for stealing. (2 Cell phones, I think it was a felony). My judge gave me a deferred judgement, so all I had to do was community service and be on probation for one year. I was never convicted.
One can't be sure without knowing the laws of your state, but I am pretty sure you are wrong here. You may not think you were convicted, but I have never heard of a judge in a position of ordering someone to do community service or especially put them on probation unless they were convicted of something. I will bet you dimes to donuts you have a conviction. Check on it yourself. Definitely see an Officer Recruiter. If it was a juvenile conviction and not a felony then there may be a chance for you. A felony conviction as an adult will almost guarantee you won't get a commission.

briant

One can't be sure without knowing the laws of your state, but I am pretty sure you are wrong here. You may not think you were convicted, but I have never heard of a judge in a position of ordering someone to do community service or especially put them on probation unless they were convicted of something. I will bet you dimes to donuts you have a conviction. Check on it yourself. Definitely see an Officer Recruiter. If it was a juvenile conviction and not a felony then there may be a chance for you. A felony conviction as an adult will almost guarantee you won't get a commission.

The community service hours and probation period were given and since I completed them flawlessly I will be let off, and the record will be sealed. All the remains on my record is that I was once arrested. -My lawyer