• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Probation and Recruiter Enlisting

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The community service hours and probation period were given and since I completed them flawlessly I will be let off, and the record will be sealed. All the remains on my record is that I was once arrested. -My lawyer
That is commonly done for juvies so the good news is it was a juvie charge. Bad news is NOTHING is ever sealed or expunged. See the post above from KC130FE.
See what a officer recruiter has to say. Given your age, things may change several times over before you can apply. Good luck.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
If you can't become an officer you can always try and become a warrant officer in the Army if you want to fly badly enough.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Warrant officers are commissioned officers. Going civilian to warrant is very hard to do, I would say that if a conviction is severe enough to keep him out of the officer corps, its bad enough to keep him out of the warrant officer corps. OCS is easier to get than WOCS (for flight).

That being said, if it happened when you were 17, and you stay clear, and do ROTC...it will not have any impact on your career.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
That being said, if it happened when you were 17, and you stay clear, and do ROTC...it will not have any impact on your career.

i guess you mean something like the Naval ROTC "College Program"? because they do make you talk about any police record in an NROTC scholarship applicaiton.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i guess you mean something like the Naval ROTC "College Program"? because they do make you talk about any police record in an NROTC scholarship applicaiton.
The OP wants a commission so he can fly. College Program or NROTC scholarship dude, makes no difference. If you want to get on the train to commissionville, your police record makes a difference. You think the NROTC College Program is an open door to felons and miscreants?

Grant

Even if there wasnt a military regulation specifically barring convicted felons from joining, the Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits convicted felons from owning or possessing firearms or ammunition. And yes, it does apply to military personnel in addition to civilians.

So in short, even if you did manage to get into the service, you could never legally be issued an M16 or M9 (much less an armed aircraft).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even if there wasnt a military regulation specifically barring convicted felons from joining, the Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits convicted felons from owning or possessing firearms or ammunition. And yes, it does apply to military personnel in addition to civilians.
Not really true, see below.

So in short, even if you did manage to get into the service, you could never legally be issued an M16 or M9 (much less an armed aircraft).
Yes you can be issued a weapon in the military even if you have a felony conviction. I hate to say it but there are hundreds of felons in the military that have been issued weapons at one time or another depending on their MOS/NOBC/Designator. I believe you are mistaken by what is meant by applying the law to military members. The law will not permit military members to own or posses personal weapons or through civilian employment. Military issue is OK.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have to amplify my previous post in the interest of gouge integrity. My post is accurate as to the unamended Gun Control Act of '68. However, the Lautenberg amendment does impact military duties. The Lautenberg amendment says any domestic violence conviction, felon or misdemeanor, disqualifies one from possessing firearms. And this amendment specifically applies to the military, law enforcement and of course Joe Lunch Bucket. So it is true that if you have a domestic violence conviction you can not qualify with or carry a personal weapon in the military so would likely be not qualified for enlistment. However, the Lautenberg amendment does not apply to crew served weapons, including armed aircraft, so Grant's post is inaccurate there. So if one was already in the military and got a DV conviction he would have to be assigned duties that do not involve qualification with personal weapons. The Ma duce is OK as is the Abrams main gun and a AC-130 gunship.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not Convicted!
Great, I guess. Does that mean you checked the official records and that is what you found, or are you just reasserting your position based on an imprecise memory?

Either way. Just because you were not convicted does not mean you don't have to reveal it in your application. They don't ask about felony convictions only. They want to know about any police contact that resulted in a judgment (even fines) or participation in the judicial system. So do not lie or try to wiggle out of being completely truthful.

Factory

Hey everyone I am writing in regards to my friend, he is interested in being a Navy Pilot but he has a felony conviction. He is active duty navy and was wondering if he could get picked up through NROTC or OCS. He knows he messed up but he was only 19 at the time and he was young dumb and stupid. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on a avenue he could take to achieving his dream. Thanks

Factory

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone I am writing in regards to my friend, he is interested in being a Navy Pilot but he has a felony conviction. He is active duty navy and was wondering if he could get picked up through NROTC or OCS. He knows he messed up but he was only 19 at the time and he was young dumb and stupid. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on a avenue he could take to achieving his dream. Thanks

Factory

Your friend needs to pull out the instruction and read it. Maybe talk to his Div O, CCC, LCPO, etc. Start with the instruction first.