• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary on Monday

scubasteve38

Just got up to Whiting to start Primary, but won't be classed up till the end of May. I don't have the NATOPS for the T-6 but I did get all the pubs. A lot of stuff but I'm going to look at the Contacts pub and the Systems pubs first, and try to learn as much about the airplane as I can. Is it possible to use at least the cockpit sim just to at least start working on checklists and EPs, and can you go out on the flight line and work on pre-flighting the plane, or do you have to be classed up before doing all that?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Go use the hulk trainers in the sim bay at the end to do the checklists. Get with a buddy who is already on the flight line to learn the tips and tricks, and get a copy of the Hollywood script to know the responses. Play with the FMS trainer to at least learn the basics of how to set up the displays.

Erin M.

pilot
Do just what scoolbubba advised.

The FMS trainer by the static cockpit mockups is a great tool, and you should take advantage of it. Run your checklists with some buddies and read up on the systems as much as you can.

Oh, and take advantage of the down time you have now. There will be a point when you wish you had that time back to just relax.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
South Field slows to a grinding halt when one of you North Fielders' decides to grace the GCA pattern, with the resulting ground taxi fiasco loads of fun to listen to... as long as you don't need to get a word in edgewise...

We'd happily forgo using the GCA box on Sunday CCX recoveries if they'd open NSE for it. Hows that going to work with your new sequestration Aloha hours? Sun-Weds work days? Must be nice...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I don't give a flyin' crap what you do on the weekends... it's during the high volume, weekday hops that throw the wrench in the machine. And what is the Sun-Wed work hours you speak of? We are still flying balls to the walls here...
If they would open up a PAR to 14 or 23 at NSE, there wouldn't be a need. Believe me, nobody wants to do repeated PARs broken off at 2 miles less than the north field IPs. Unfortunately, it is either do them there or go down to NPA, and sometimes that just isn't feasible.
Better yet, now that they have an ILS at north field, just make PAR a one and done demo item instead of a graded item in multiple stages.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Better yet, now that they have an ILS at north field, just make PAR a one and done demo item instead of a graded item in multiple stages.

I don't know---it was nice showing up to T-45 land with some good PAR experience under my belt.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yeah, agreed...lest we forget that most of the aircraft on a flight deck don't have the capability to shoot an ILS.
Last I checked PALS works just the same as an ILS. I am just saying that it isn't crucial in primary to do 10 PAR approaches and the ones that we do to south field are bogus anyway because you break them off at 2 miles when you really start working.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I don't give a flyin' crap what you do on the weekends... it's during the high volume, weekday hops that throw the wrench in the machine. And what is the Sun-Wed work hours you speak of? We are still flying balls to the walls here...

We got told that South Field is going to 4 day work weeks later on this year due to the impending hours cutback. How often do you see T-6s doing full stops at NDZ during the week? Whoever that is, they're doing it wrong... Other then lack of controller confidence with dissimilar types of aircraft, and funky vectors and speed restrictions for us when we follow you guys in going 70KIAS, how does a T-6 in the GCA box mess up your normal mode of operations (This is a legit question so I can try to avoid throwing a wrench in your works even though our wing guidance requires us to enter via NDZ if we elect to use an instrument approach on the return from an RI flight prior to 1500 on good weather days)?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Last I checked PALS works just the same as an ILS. I am just saying that it isn't crucial in primary to do 10 PAR approaches and the ones that we do to south field are bogus anyway because you break them off at 2 miles when you really start working.

It does...however, if you're landing anywhere other than the boat in shitty weather, your shooting a PAR.

I see your point with the BS approaches to South Field, but about 75% of the approached I've shot to mins were PAR's and that wasn't by choice.

Maybe PAR's until MIF met would be a better way to work it...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
It does...however, if you're landing anywhere other than the boat in shitty weather, your shooting a PAR.

I see your point with the BS approaches to South Field, but about 75% of the approached I've shot to mins were PAR's and that wasn't by choice.

Maybe PAR's until MIF met would be a better way to work it...

True. I have had to use it as well when operating at NHK. I have had mixed luck...some controllers are better than others.

I honestly just made a point of going down to NPA and doing a couple down there (as do most instructors). It just takes time...really not a big deal in the scheme of things. It is honestly just a whiting thing. The rest of CNATRA seems to do them with no problem.

Erin M.

pilot
Finished Friday night.

At that time, I didn't think it would be so bad to wait until Thursday for selection. Now, I am going crazy and it is only Sunday morning. I've been trying to distract myself with the gym, cleaning the house, working on the car, taking the dog on super long walks, and none of it is working well.

HURRY UP THURSDAY!