• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary on Monday

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You may be giving both parties a little much credit with such sweeping generalizations :D

(Although that is basically true regarding both certain studs and certain instructors who could be described as "exceptional.")
Okay...maybe I should have said most vice all.

A Day In The Life

pilot
Don't worry, soon I will be there to make it rain MIF.

nooooooooo-73233218790.jpeg

jtmedli

pilot
I have a question for all of you instructors out there. I am not trying to ruffle any feather and intend to keep this as respectful as possible, so here it goes;

For those that do this, why do some instructors give out straight MIF/ straight 4's/ whatever, and offer no debrief?

I know that the job can be exhausting and unrewarding at times, and I know that some students probably don't care at all what the instructor has to say, but for those of us that really do listen to what the instructors tell us, it is nice to be given some feedback.

It has helped me tremendously to have that feedback at the end of flights. I listen to what you guys say, and I use that to fix/amend/maintain my study habits and methods of preparation. So, it just sucks to come back from a flight and hear something along "Hey, great hop. No problem areas noted, excellent brief/preparation. Keep it up."

Alright, rant over.

Fire away.

Relax. Clearly you got through your contact checkride which is the big one. Just keep working and you'll have wings before you know it.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now I know that weird feeling when some of your primary students are going to be IPs. Damn I must be getting old.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now I know that weird feeling when some of your primary students are going to be IPs. Damn I must be getting old.
I know that feeling well... had a three year tour as an IP in the A-4 RAG VA-125 in the early '60s. Prior to retiring in '74, several of my RPs had earned 'Blue Angel' slots (one, former LTjg Bill Newman, as BA Boss). Then not long after I retired, I kept track as many more of these former 'JGs' started progressing down the Golden Path as VA COs, CAGs,. deep draft commands, then amazingly, many of these former nugget Scooter drivers made flag.:D

Yes, I did get that "I must be getting old" feeling... but it was accompanied with the great feeling of having contributed in a small way, and tremendous pride in their progress and accomplishments!:)
BzB

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
That Lion King pic would be waaay more appropriate if it depicted Mufasa yelling at Simba for fucking up a read back of holding instructions from ATC.

Ahhh memories..

MasterBates

Then not long after I retired, I kept track as many more of these former 'JGs' started progressing down the Golden Path as VA COs, CAGs,. deep draft commands, then amazingly, many of these former nugget Scooter drivers made flag.:D
Yes, I did get that "I must be getting old" feeling... but it was accompanied with the great feeling of having contributed in a small way, and tremendous pride in their progress and accomplishments!:)
BzB

BzB, you ever fly with a Jim Lair? Retired as a RADM.Was a A4 guy about the time you were an IP

Randomly met him the other night in Tulsa, OK of all places at Fuddruckers.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB, you ever fly with a Jim Lair? Retired as a RADM.Was a A4 guy about the time you were an IP

Randomly met him the other night in Tulsa, OK of all places at Fuddruckers.
MB, didn't know him as an RP in the early '60s, but met him at a VA-146 reunion at Lemoore in '98. Jim was a former XO/CO of my Squadron ('78-'80, 10 years after I left & then flying A-7s). At the time I met him, he had recently retired from the Navy.
BzB

Erin M.

pilot
Finally on the projected completers board. I should be back in the plane on Tuesday, then back to the sims for the last instrument and nav sims, then cross country weekend after next and I will finally be done.