• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary on Monday

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
Finally on the projected completers board. I should be back in the plane on Tuesday, then back to the sims for the last instrument and nav sims, then cross country weekend after next and I will finally be done.

Does Primary at Whiting Field typically take about eight months? Someone told me it could take up to a year to finish.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Times vary based on a lot of things like weather, maintenance, and stud performance. Average is around eight, with 6-12 being the variation. I took 9 months, more like 10-11 if you count stash time at the wings. In reality, it doesn't matter. The time you take to finish primary has little effect on anything, unless you go med down for a year or something crazy like that.

Erin M.

pilot
Times vary based on a lot of things like weather, maintenance, and stud performance. Average is around eight, with 6-12 being the variation. I took 9 months, more like 10-11 if you count stash time at the wings. In reality, it doesn't matter. The time you take to finish primary has little effect on anything, unless you go med down for a year or something crazy like that.

This. Some have finished faster than me and some have taken longer. Most of the variables are things outside of your control, ie. weather, plane cancellations, on-wing unavailable, etc. I havent seen anyone take more than 11 months without some kind of major setback, like going med down for a month+ or multiple prbs/ipcs etc.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
This. Some have finished faster than me and some have taken longer. Most of the variables are things outside of your control, ie. weather, plane cancellations, on-wing unavailable, etc. I havent seen anyone take more than 11 months without some kind of major setback, like going med down for a month+ or multiple prbs/ipcs etc.

Do you know the date of your last flight yet? Good luck with your NSS!

Erin M.

pilot
Schedule for the next day's events comes out around 5 each night. You won't know any sooner than that when you are flying (with the exception of cross countries.) I'm projected to be selecting the week of the 18th, but realistically I will probably select on the 25th. I couldn't really say when my last will be.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Schedule for the next day's events comes out around 5 each night. You won't know any sooner than that when you are flying (with the exception of cross countries.) I'm projected to be selecting the week of the 18th, but realistically I will probably select on the 25th. I couldn't really say when my last will be.

Good luck with the concluding flights ! May the weather be on your side.

Erin M.

pilot
Thanks! Weather doesn't appear to be cooperating with my timeline, but that is typical Whiting .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Back in ~2006 or so when the South Tower looked like it was designed by an insurgent bomber (or what I like to call "terrorist chic"), the taxiway routing to NSE involved "taxiing straight towards the tower and then turn onto the line between the helos." There were no lines to follow from the hub and the first time you tried to do it, which was undoubtely at night, you had no idea where you were going until Ground let you knew you were going too far. It took a while before Ground realized they should probably actually give progressive instructions.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Back in ~2006 or so when the South Tower looked like it was designed by an insurgent bomber (or what I like to call "terrorist chic"), the taxiway routing to NSE involved "taxiing straight towards the tower and then turn onto the line between the helos." There were no lines to follow from the hub and the first time you tried to do it, which was undoubtely at night, you had no idea where you were going until Ground let you knew you were going too far. It took a while before Ground realized they should probably actually give progressive instructions.
My first experience taxiing in there was post cross country at night from the back seat. I was attempting to just clear the runway and then figure out where I was. I thought I saw the entrance to the ramp and so I told my student to take a left turn. When I saw the grass about 5 feet in front of the plane I yelled STOP! and called tower and did the progressive taxi of shame.
It is kind of funny that with all the silly dangerous stuff we did there, the taxi in after a cross country was probably the thing I dreaded the most.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, sounds exactly as it was, and has been for the past 55 years since I went through. Only difference... we suffered no pools/stash time. Some things never change.;)
BzB