• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Porkchop shenanigans, allegedy crappy boat food, and the Great BAS Debate of 2020

Birdbrain

pilot
I actually always thought the mess was at its best when it admitted it was a cafeteria/diner and did cafeteria type food: meatloaf (and of course the meatloaf sandwich), sliders, fried eggs, bacon, tray rats, lasagna, etc. Things got dicey when they tried to try and inevitably underwhelmed on good sounding dishes.
Do you have a particularly funny sea story about "good sounding dishes"?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Always have something you can order if you don't like what's being served. My go to was either Grilled Cheese, or Chicken Quesadilla ordered from the grill. If you are brave enough, you could order a "Barney Clark" or a "One-Eyed Jack" :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That and a chocolate chip oatmeal raisin boat cookie.
?
In all seriousness, boat meatloaf (in all of its forms) is right up there with whole grilled chicken breast as boat food’s best utility protein material. Conversely, I have never, nor will I ever consume boat “lobster tail.” That shit is sketchy AF... probably even odds that it gives you botulism, or has been frozen in some hold since 1978.

Boat brunch is hit or miss. I’ve had tremendous boat brunch and I’ve had abominable culinary nightmares. Watching a poor kid at the carving station, with a dull knife and zero idea what they’re doing, as they completely mangle a rib roast, is a crime against humanity. My urge to call a training timeout so I can Jump in and hold some OJT is overridden by not wanting to humiliate the CS3 who is doing the best they can. It’s a no win scenario... a test of character.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know this will make me sound like a curmudgeon, but never got into the boat brunch thing. Food wasn't good enough in my mind to warrant waiting in the massive crowd and having to interact with ships company :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Conversely, I have never, nor will I ever consume boat “lobster tail.” That shit is sketchy AF... probably even odds that it gives you botulism, or has been frozen in some hold since 1978.
You're the second skipper of that squadron to be paranoid about boat seafood . . . must be a trend. But all the germophobia in the world didn't stop one of your predecessors from having the shortest CoC ever after getting whacked with norovirus. ?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

I've had pork adobo ruined for me by the incompetent/low give-a-shit galley crew. I can't even order it at Filipino restaurants because I've been so horribly scarred. Also, I've been disappointed many times by collard greens that ended up being inedible because they were as salty as the Dead Sea. I think that was the result of the CS who made them having no taste buds.

Always have something you can order if you don't like what's being served. My go to was either Grilled Cheese, or Chicken Quesadilla ordered from the grill. If you are brave enough, you could order a "Barney Clark" or a "One-Eyed Jack" :D
?
In all seriousness, boat meatloaf (in all of its forms) is right up there with whole grilled chicken breast as boat food’s best utility protein material. Conversely, I have never, nor will I ever consume boat “lobster tail.” That shit is sketchy AF... probably even odds that it gives you botulism, or has been frozen in some hold since 1978.

Boat brunch is hit or miss. I’ve had tremendous boat brunch and I’ve had abominable culinary nightmares. Watching a poor kid at the carving station, with a dull knife and zero idea what they’re doing, as they completely mangle a rib roast, is a crime against humanity. My urge to call a training timeout so I can Jump in and hold some OJT is overridden by not wanting to humiliate the CS3 who is doing the best they can. It’s a no win scenario... a test of character.

Man, quesadilla bars and a carvery? Y'all are living high on the hog over there on the big decks.

You're the second skipper of that squadron to be paranoid about boat seafood . . . must be a trend. But all the germophobia in the world didn't stop one of your predecessors from having the shortest CoC ever after getting whacked with norovirus. ?

It's a bad idea to eat seafood while at sea because that's how you get Poseidon's Revenge. Every time I've eaten seafood while on a ship I've gotten sick. I thought it was just result of Navy cooks screwing it up but then I ate the lobster on a cruise ship and got sick. @Birdbrain, never forget that the sea is a harsh mistress and will never miss an opportunity to remind you of it, even at the dinner table.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I did two USNS deployments...we ate like freaking kings and never paid any mess dues. It was awesome. We also did rotor roulette and made a ridiculous amount of money for our DET party in Rota before we came back across the pond.

BigRed389

None
I've had pork adobo ruined for me by the incompetent/low give-a-shit galley crew. I can't even order it at Filipino restaurants because I've been so horribly scarred. Also, I've been disappointed many times by collard greens that ended up being inedible because they were as salty as the Dead Sea. I think that was the result of the CS who made them having no taste buds.

Man, quesadilla bars and a carvery? Y'all are living high on the hog over there on the big decks.

It's a bad idea to eat seafood while at sea because that's how you get Poseidon's Revenge. Every time I've eaten seafood while on a ship I've gotten sick. I thought it was just result of Navy cooks screwing it up but then I ate the lobster on a cruise ship and got sick. @Birdbrain, never forget that the sea is a harsh mistress and will never miss an opportunity to remind you of it, even at the dinner table.

Yeah weirdly it's the normally healthier sounding food I usually found lacking. Fish always sucked.

That said I found surf and turf to pretty reliably be one of the better things over in the CRUDES world. Same for Slider Wednesday and Taco Tuesday.
And made to order eggs at breakfast were always reasonably good. One ship even had breakfast cereal very well stocked (like WalMart level variety in choices).

Think it helps that a CRUDES wardroom the SUPPO eats with the CO/rest of wardroom, and will cop hate for inexcusably shitty food.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor

Lol...good stuff. We had CIVMAR crash crew members trying to bribe us to make stop on a certain number.

But my favorite nights in the wardroom were king crab night and grilled swordfish night...I'd always top that off with some coffee flavored hard serve ice cream. Sometimes I'd go with raspberry rumble/swirl.

We'd have tuna steaks occasionally too:

"How would you like that Sam?"
"Ohhhhh...lightly seared please."
"Of course, Sam."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lol...good stuff. We had CIVMAR crash crew members trying to bribe us to make stop on a certain number.
No, like I seriously don't know. You use the helo as a roulette wheel for something? Because that's just inherently funny.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
All the meatloaf and I never knew ther was such love for it. I don't like meatloaf off the boat (reminds me of those old fancy feast commercials) so I never have had it on the boat... good reminder for me to eat a salad once in a while when it's meatloaf night. Funny but not so funny story - my JO squadron always said "don't eat the meatloaf," when underway and no one did (no skin off my back). Then, one of the DH's ate it, everyone was telling him "wow, you got balls man." This guy started feeling not-so-well maybe an hour or two after dinner, realized he had to vomit, but passed out while going down a ladderwell and fell HARD. When he woke, he started seeing double. He never flew again and became an AEDO after being diagnosed with something or other as a result of the fall (his double vision stopped mostly but there were other complications from what I recall). Thus, the legend of "don't ever eat the meatloaf" continued and we had proof as to why you don't ever, ever eat the meatloaf underway.