• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Porkchop shenanigans, allegedy crappy boat food, and the Great BAS Debate of 2020

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah weirdly it's the normally healthier sounding food I usually found lacking. Fish always sucked.

That said I found surf and turf to pretty reliably be one of the better things over in the CRUDES world. Same for Slider Wednesday and Taco Tuesday.
And made to order eggs at breakfast were always reasonably good. One ship even had breakfast cereal very well stocked (like WalMart level variety in choices).

Think it helps that a CRUDES wardroom the SUPPO eats with the CO/rest of wardroom, and will cop hate for inexcusably shitty food.
Healthier food generally equates to leaner meats which are generally more challenging to cook so it's not surprising. Flattening some beef on the griddle until it gets brown is pretty easy. Same with a pan full of ground beef: leave it in the oven until the internal temp hits 160 and you're good. If you leave it in a few minutes too long it'll be fine. It's pretty easy to make rubbbery or dry chicken or to make fish just gross.

I'll also point out that I'm disappointed in the youth of today and @Jim123 (but mostly Jim). Ive mentioned meatloaf sandwiches a few times and NO ONE has said anything about NAVY BEANS?!? Looks like Jim needs a few days of SDO to reflect...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'll also point out that I'm disappointed in the youth of today and @Jim123 (but mostly Jim). Ive mentioned meatloaf sandwiches a few times and NO ONE has said anything about NAVY BEANS?!? Looks like Jim needs a few days of SDO to reflect...
"This is a new song... It's through the eyes of one of the greatest people alive, I feel... The Lunchlady"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too little too late...get your khakis on shipmate and make sure the wardroom coffee maker is full while you're at it.
Just get your revenge by driving him out of the ready room with an especially pungent batch of jalapeno popcorn.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Big money was starting to change hands on the last shutdown of the day...CIVMARS get paid bank. We got a cut of each pot. Even the Captain and the First Mate were in on the action.

View attachment 26855
Did they realize that where the rotor stops wasn’t exactly random? I.e. that a skilled rotor brake operator could pick a blade at low rpm and “stick the landing?”

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Did they realize that where the rotor stops wasn’t exactly random? I.e. that a skilled rotor brake operator could pick a blade at low rpm and “stick the landing?”
Sometimes, but not always.

tenor.gif

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Always have something you can order if you don't like what's being served. My go to was either Grilled Cheese, or Chicken Quesadilla ordered from the grill. If you are brave enough, you could order a "Barney Clark" or a "One-Eyed Jack" :D

How did it take until page 8 for someone to mention this?? Yes, O's pay for their food while receiving BAS, E's lose BAS. But O's can order the chicken-bacon quesadilla, or freshly grilled (maybe frozen but still grilled after ordering) burger if they don't like what's on the menu that day. And they eat on real plates with real silverware. Now, don't get me started on when they run out of real cheese and start using the "cheese food" slices on the quesadillas. Or when they run out of tapatio sauce.

On the leftovers side, I saw good and bad. Bad? After a steel beach lunch, putting all the leftover cooked burgers in a steamer and calling that dinner. Great? Following a ribeye dinner, getting ribeye stroganoff for lunch (or midrats).

Either way there was much bitching and moaning from the JOs on my main deployment on the Hot Carl, but overall the food was better than I expected, and as an O we had more options than the enlisted. Part of it is expectation management. And when I couldn't make a meal time, there was nothing stopping me from pilfering some cereal boxes or bags of cookies as a snack from the wardroom. The enlisted didn't have those options, and often times were waiting in lines stretching way out into the hangar bay for their food. Biggest complaints some had was that the downstairs wardroom often had better options. But nothing is stopping anyone from walking down a few flights of stairs before dinner, unless you happen to be wearing an LSO coat.

Can't comment on the small boys. Just that I heard they do some weird things like all eat at the same time, only when the captain is ready.

Last edited:

Birdbrain

pilot
Wait, it sounds like Enlisted don't get to choose what they get from the galley? And it sounds like Officers have a choice between meals? How does that work?