• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pondering living in an RV for Krock...

MasterBates

For those that have been there, the fact that there is not much in Krock to rent is pretty obvious..

I just got a random idea, and figured I would run it by the AW gang.. Here it is:

I'm going to Krock in 4-5 months..
Have to move from the Island.
Not allowed to commute.
Need to live for rent/cost under $400 if possible.
Can buy a used travel trailer for a $2-300/mo payment.
The "Toy Hauler" types have enough room to store my stuff in. (don't have much)
Not sure what an RV lot rent is, but it can't be that expensive..

Anyone know anybody that has done this, and is it a viable thing to do in Norfolk as well?

Not to sound too Ghetto, but I have my reasons to live as cheap as humanly possible for a while.

If you really need to know why I need to live cheaply, read my signature for a good 'ol hit from the ClueBat.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
I just laughed out loud and felt absolutly terrible for you at the same time.

...you'll be livin in a van down by the river!

Someone needs to establish the MB disaster relief fund.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
One of my IPs in VT-27 lived in an RV on base. If you're going to go down that road, I'd explore the on-base RV lot option.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
There was a guy in API who was living in an RV at the campgrounds, but he was doing it for the exact opposite reason you were--somehow he was getting Boston BAH since his wife was there, and he wouldn't get it if he lived elsewhere. It has been done and probably will be done again.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
One of my IPs in VT-27 lived in an RV on base. If you're going to go down that road, I'd explore the on-base RV lot option.

My wife and I did that for about $350 a month, including all hook ups except propane, for 4 months before our house was ready. And collected BAH. BAH should take care of your lot rent and utilities and trailer payment ...... + some cash left over.

MasterBates

Over 1/2 of my BAH is going to support a certain large angry ex wife.. So that's why I need to come in WAY under BAH if at all possible.

Anyone know if KROCK has an RV park on base? I've never seen it, but there are things there pretty spread out.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Yea, they have an RV lot on base. It is about 3 blocks from the squadron and 1 block from the club. 245 a month with water and electricity included, they dont care how long you stay.

Stables 361-516-6449
Hobby Craft Shop 361-516-6248
Outdoor Recreation 361-516-6443

The above numbers are for the buildings right around the RV site, as there is no number that is specific to the place

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
It had a RV site when I was there in 2000, or at least there was a sectioned off piece of Nexico that had that name. Close to the club, and the carwash, and.... well what else is in Krock?

Best of Luck MB!

MasterBates

You should for sure stay on the Island, in a certain yellow condo.

I like the certain yellow condo.

However, TW-2 is going to make me move to Krock or Bishop when I get done here (another 4-5 months)..

For those that are scratching their head, FlyFastNow owns the condo I am currently renting.

jride200

I love it! I have long wondered if it would be possible for me, during my training, to live in an RV. I was always somewhat afraid to ask on this forum, though, for fear of the "van down by the river" cracks. Now, it seems like a very good, even smart, possibility. This interests me primarily because I hate apartment living where my hard earned money goes only to a (usually) slimey landloard and because I will not be ready to buy a house for some time to come. This is what I've got my sights on:

16Bambi.jpg

Do the riveted, stressed aluminum skins remind you of anything? The classiest (if that is possible . . .) RVs that have ever, and will ever, be made.

Any further information regarding the feasibility of RVing specifically while in the SNA pipeline?

MasterBates

Airstreams are nice, but $$$$$ But will last a long time..

I'm looking at a "toy hauler" (think travel trailer with a garage in the back) which will fill my needs nicely.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
My gut reaction is that it will be loud as sh!t on base, especially if they're using runway 31. Can't imagine those trailers will be insulated well. Of course, half of south Texas lives in trailers so I'm sure there are plenty of options. For what it's worth, rent can get down to the $3-400 range at Hawks or Hunters if you take on roommates.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
it's been done before

Hey MB -

I think one of the VAW 120 IP's lived in an RV on Mugu during his JO tour - maybe his wife lived in the Bay Area and he had to live cheap? Can't remember exactly..

Good luck..

Rugger