• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Point Paper/Letter Re: Aviation Greens.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Well, I'm wearing them today and so far, two senior chiefs and my 0-6 CO have all said they will buy the set this week and intend to wear them every week (obviously just the pants with leather jacket).
I'm heading to the T-Bar later today here at Jax (shocker) and see if the Como is around, I'll gauge his reaction and see if he'll endorse a letter and route it to CPRG and AirLant.

Any homos at 30 care to get in on the action? I know XO Gordon digs these.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I will on arrivial...Getting the leather fixed up for winging and am picking up the trousers today.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I actually had a discussion with a few bubbleheads today that thought AWGs "looked sharp as hell and wish they were authorized to wear them".

KSUFLY

pilot
Once I get the money I'll be looking at buying a set of AWG. I have thought many times how there needs to be better uniform for fall/winter/spring duty and non-bag days. The sk suck for that.

haubby

None
Contributor
The AWG's are sharp a looking uniform. Downside is they are not a liberty uniform. If you are going to send a letter asking them to be saved, might as well ask that they be authorized for wear outside of base.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Brett327: Your argument that "nobody wears them" is exactly what we're working against. Right now I bet there are a lot of people reading this thread who aren't going to act because the uniform's getting the axe or because it's too expensive. Both of these reasons are the result of it being an uncommon uniform. If the uniform is saved and we can shift the momentum around, perhaps we can get the uniform on the NEX racks again and we can get the price down. And then more aviators will buy it... and it's a circle, Happy.

Now it's off to the NEX to un-sub-par myself. Seriously, I'm buying that book.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The AWG's are sharp a looking uniform. Downside is they are not a liberty uniform. If you are going to send a letter asking them to be saved, might as well ask that they be authorized for wear outside of base.
I think I already said this, but I have never understood why the AWGs are considered a "working" uniform. Can you ever imagine someone dropping $500 on them and then mucking around in dirt and grease? Don't think so. They're more appropriate as a SERVICE uniform, perhaps as an alternative to service khaki. But, since they are labelled as a "working" uniform, some bean counter lumped them in with SWOveralls to get replaced.

Granted, Brett also has a point. I bet half the guys coming up don't have a clue what they are. I bet if I were to hypothetically wear them to work tomorrow (if I owned a set), half the people would look at me like I had three heads and say "Dude, why are you wearing a Marine uniform with a black tie?"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I bet if I were to wear them to work tomorrow ... half the people would look at me ... and say "Dude, why are you wearing a Marine uniform with a black tie?"
It's no surprise they would be ignorant of Aviation Working Greens.

The mere fact that they refer to you as "Dude" is indicative of much greater cognitive shortcomings on their part ... :)

haubby

None
Contributor
I think Hozer might be able to attest to this. But our mutual friend used to wear his AWG's while on the boat just to piss the shoe's off for their lack of knowledge on the uniform and its many variants of wear. Granted I never heard of the uniform till I arrived at FASO 2 1/2 years ago as my Chief used wear them. But knowing is half the battle....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327: Your argument that "nobody wears them" is exactly what we're working against. ....
Brett's one of the brightest bulbs on this forum ... but I think he's missing the point on this one. The "effort" expended is something akin to what we hear all the time on this forum: ..."if you don't apply, your chances are ZERO". Or, if you don't try to save the uniform, it won't happen.

I notice most of the "anti" sentiments seem to be emanating from the VAQ right seaters, past and present. Beware ... :D

Think: brown shoes and leather flight jackets. Jimmy Carter's "hate Naval Aviation" bureacracy killed those, in large part 'cause the "good guys" were getting out in disgust and none of those staying in gave a damn. :)

red_stang65

pilot
I bet half the guys coming up don't have a clue what they are. I bet if I were to hypothetically wear them to work tomorrow (if I owned a set), half the people would look at me like I had three heads and say "Dude, why are you wearing a Marine uniform with a black tie?"

Now I finally don't feel crazy for thinking I saw a commander wearing this in the API halls. A few of my classmates noticed it too, but while describing it to others, everyone thought it must have been a marine. Whew...not as crazy as I thought...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have never met anyone that didn't dig AWGs. If Brett hasn't seen guys wearing it, it is because they are so hard to find. If the Exchange stocked them or even used them on models in their advertising and promotions, they would get around

Write an article for Naval Institute Proceedings. The feature in the back called "Nobody Asked Me But..." Call it a collaborative effort and get John's approval to sign it An Airwarrior.com Commentary, or some such thing.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Write an article for Naval Institute Proceedings. The feature in the back called "Nobody Asked Me But..." Call it a collaborative effort and get John's approval to sign it An Airwarrior.com Commentary, or some such thing.

That's definitely the direction we were thinking about going. There was a question about whether or not thins belonged in Proceedings, but it sounds as though that question has been laid to rest.