• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pme

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All the negative comments I've heard about the Navy JMPE more strongly reinforce my perspective that if you're in the aviation business, ACSC (Air Command & Staff College) is the way to go. The amount of reading material they *send* you is large; the amount you actually *have* to read, not so much. I would submit that if you've done time flying in OIF or OEF, have spent any time as SDO MIRCing the CAOC, or have done a RED FLAG, then you too will do fine with minimal effort. In fact, 3 of the tests I actually took without breaking the shrink-wrap off the books, and they turned out to be the 3 tests I got the highest scores on. (This may have something to do with me being a super-genius, though - your mileage may vary...) :icon_tong

Their distance learning program is set up very nicely (http://wwwacsc.maxwell.af.mil/distance-learning.asp), and the ass-pain was minimal. The biggest hassle is finding a testing site, but they have lots of testing sites globally. For half the tests, they even sent a test person out to where I work - not for me, but for the heavy USAF presence; you just phoned or emailed in advance which test you needed. Otherwise I just went to the testing center at the Pentagon. There are also some minimal on-line requirements, but these went very quickly as well.

If you do ACSC, and are on a "min effort trajectory", I would also recommend this site: http://allpme.com/. The AF guys live and die by this stuff, and with their summaries you *definitely* don't have to break open the reading.

JPME has already turned your brain into mush......;)

I thought that Navy O-3's and below could not do the USAF program anymore, is that true?

FSSF

I'm not very funny. Ask Villanelle.
pilot
Does anybody know if there was an ALLNAV or some other official message that has dicktated this new requirement? Or is it a word of mouth policy. As it stands it looks like the "have to get done list" looks like.

PME (pre-req for JPME-1)
JPME-1 (Seminar, or distance learning; Air force, Marine, Navy versions)
JPME-2 (War College)
Other Masters degree
And the seldom mentioned (from two or three Helo flag panels ago) second language.

Additionally,
The OOD letter, CDO underway, or conning along side, letter.

Does anybody know if the PME req applies if you are already in zone for 0-4 ,
and does already having a Master's alter the above list?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
JPME has already turned your brain into mush......;)

I thought that Navy O-3's and below could not do the USAF program anymore, is that true?

That seems to be the case - when I did it (2005), there was no restriction on Navy, although the AF wanted you to at least be an O-4 select. I think so many Navy JOs (like yours truly) jumped in that they upped the ante - according to their website, you are now supposed to an O-4 or above. Whether the web application would actually filter you out if you were not is an open question. Since I've got mine, though, it's not a concern...

My brain was mush long before the AF attempted to make me drink their Kool Aid. Truth in advertising - the AF Kool Aid in ACSC is pretty sugary, too - sometimes you just have to put down the answer you know they want, versus the "right" answer.

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
Does anybody know if there was an ALLNAV or some other official message that has dicktated this new requirement? Or is it a word of mouth policy. As it stands it looks like the "have to get done list" looks like.

PME (pre-req for JPME-1)
JPME-1 (Seminar, or distance learning; Air force, Marine, Navy versions)
JPME-2 (War College)
Other Masters degree
And the seldom mentioned (from two or three Helo flag panels ago) second language.

Additionally,
The OOD letter, CDO underway, or conning along side, letter.

Does anybody know if the PME req applies if you are already in zone for 0-4 ,
and does already having a Master's alter the above list?

Admiral to RAG CO: "What the hell is going on with retention?"

I believe one Masters is enough from my understanding.

FSSF

pilot
I believe one Masters is enough from my understanding.

XO to new Super JO SWTI with Masters Degree checking into squadron: Your going to have to find a way to distinguish yourself. Have you thought about getting your OOD letter. BTW if you get your JPME phase 1 done on your time and dime then so much the better.

Sheesh!:eek::confused::eek:

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
XO to new Super JO SWTI with Masters Degree checking into squadron: Your going to have to find a way to distinguish yourself. Have you thought about getting your OOD letter. BTW if you get your JPME phase 1 done on your time and dime then so much the better.

Do super JO SWTIs deploy in HSL? If not, how can you get you possibly get your OOD letter? Also, unless you go to NWC isn't JPME 1 always on your "own" time? How can it be on your "dime"?

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all

By saying one masters was enough, I wasn't implying that the rest of the list isn't necessary. Yeah, that's exactly the problem. Everybody has to 'break out,' so what a generation before did as an O-6 moves down to O-5, then to O-4, etc... There is NO reason in the world a super JO should be getting an OOD letter, but what the hell... If he plans to stay in, he will have to do it eventually to be competitive for CO.

I have been trying to organize JOs in the Hornet community to do none of it and see what the board does when they are already undermanned and nobody has done any of the 'breakout' crap. The problem is that there is always one dude that will do anything to get ahead (except be a good pilot and a good leader). I can definitely say that with the level of FitReps I've received, if I stay in, I will tell them if they want to groom me for command, they can send me to school to get JPME. I am not doing it on my own. I'm not busting my a$$ as a DH and getting a Masters and doing JPME at the same time. If somebody else does all that and that makes them a better candidate for CO, then they will have a great time as CO while I do something else.

Oh, did I mention they want us to deploy on carriers twice as much while all of that is happening?

Again I ask, "What the hell is going on with all the JOs leaving after their MSR?!?"

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I am fairly certain that if you do JPME through the fleet seminar and then take a couple extra classes you can get a Masters, thereby killing two birds with one stone.

FSSF

pilot
Do super JO SWTIs deploy in HSL? If not, how can you get you possibly get your OOD letter? Also, unless you go to NWC isn't JPME 1 always on your "own" time? How can it be on your "dime"?

Its a weird position, we are on Sea Duty but the squadron doesn't deploy as a whole. So the short answer is not really, but its possible. I am pretty much under the impression that I will spend 1-2 weeks underway with every deploying det and 1-2 weeks on the Island for each det doing HARP. -ish.

So pretty much the OOD letter is only possible if I know someone on a boat who will take me for a month or so, or I get it while I'm an OIC.

"Dime and Time" XO meant while your here in the squadron, and not taking orders to NWC or NPS.

My point was sort of what Milky was getting at ( I think). As the list builds and become required not just "break outs"where and when are we supposed to fit them in, and what really should give. Ground job, flight skills, family, health? Toss in the IA req, and this lit really starts getting ridiculous. :irked_125
(nuts):icon_hamm

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Its a weird position, we are on Sea Duty but the squadron doesn't deploy as a whole. So the short answer is not really, but its possible. I am pretty much under the impression that I will spend 1-2 weeks underway with every deploying det and 1-2 weeks on the Island for each det doing HARP. -ish.

Is that a new thing? Our SWTIs were on shore UICs. They still went to the boat every so often or to Kauai for ARP, but I'm pretty sure they weren't part of our gene pool (in more ways than one).

FSSF

pilot
Not as far as I know. Either way this PME pre-JPME shite is going to suck! For everyone, even us koolaid drinking mutants

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Admiral to RAG CO: "What the hell is going on with retention?"

Oh, did I mention they want us to deploy on carriers twice as much while all of that is happening?

Again I ask, "What the hell is going on with all the JOs leaving after their MSR?!?"

I think you bring up some very good points. I distinctly remember when I was a JO in the late 90's that there was real concern about retention and how the Navy thought they would not have enough people left in to fill the DH slots. Then 9/11 happened with its associated aftermath, and it staunched the bleeding. Now, with GWOT as a 'normal' part of life in the Navy and the airlines hiring again, I think the same issue will rear its ugly head yet again, if it is not already.

All of the extra sacrifices that sailors have made over the past 6 years are not going away anytime soon, adding to the stress of a 'normal' Navy life. I know that the current optempo is the new 'normal', but everyone has their limits and I think big Navy will find out that many have reached it. All of these requirements that are required now for promotion, on top of what has always been expected out of your career, will just get people to reach their limit that much sooner.

This is one area where I believe the Air Force does a better job that the Navy. The USAF actually usually makes time in an officer's career to allow them to meet many of the requirements for education, joint and otherwise. I am nto saying it makes them better officers, but they are much more accomodating towards these extra requirements than the Navy.

One of the more ironic things if that I am still not sure what the requirements are for promotion in the reserves are under the new system. My unit had a brief from a reserve CAPT last year who was writing up the requirements for reservists. Even our CO was more confused coming out of that brief than going in the brief was so bad.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is an interesting topic and I'm glad to see it discussed. When I look at the requirements for advancement (PME/JPME/Masters) and also consider things like optempo, dissociated tours, IAs, etc, it really makes me wonder what my future in the Navy will look like. Department head selection rates were terrible in my community this year - I think the number was around 35%. The one thing I am sure about is that I'm happy to have a long time to figure out what I want to do with my future. Like I said, I'm glad to see this brought up and look forward to seeing what everyone has to say.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I am fairly certain that if you do JPME through the fleet seminar and then take a couple extra classes you can get a Masters, thereby killing two birds with one stone.
From what I understand it is just knocking out 1 bird. I was told that the Navy looks for an outside Masters (MBA, MS Aero, etc) and that the Navy doesn't give more consideration to you having gotten the Masters with JPME.

FSSF

pilot
From what I understand it is just knocking out 1 bird. I was told that the Navy looks for an outside Masters (MBA, MS Aero, etc) and that the Navy doesn't give more consideration to you having gotten the Masters with JPME.

I think you right. JPME is its own check in the box (regardless if a mster is earned). The outside masters is something else. That list I posted only seems to be getting longer and more painful to complete.

Can anybody tell us what is in PME, and why now, after so many years it is a required pre-req. Is there stuff in there that you didn't learn at School, Bolt, squadon training, required reading, or ACOL??