• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pme

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I not positive on the numbers but I think last years DH rates for HSC were 19 out of 56. All 19 had a boat tour and JPME. At least that is what I was told by a non-screen O-4. Someone else told me that was half of what was actually needed and there are supposed to be higher selection rates over the next 3 years to make up for this deficit.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
From what I understand it is just knocking out 1 bird. I was told that the Navy looks for an outside Masters (MBA, MS Aero, etc) and that the Navy doesn't give more consideration to you having gotten the Masters with JPME.
That might be true. A buddy of mine did fleet seminar and then took a couple course at the same school I was working on my masters. I can't remember what school granted his degree, but if it was NWC then it would be obvious how it was earned.

FSSF

I'm not very funny. Ask Villanelle.
pilot
said as I sit down to do another NATOPS Jacket review and APU Turn qual audit over my Sunday Coffee. Maybe I should be on NKO?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
That might be true. A buddy of mine did fleet seminar and then took a couple course at the same school I was working on my masters. I can't remember what school granted his degree, but if it was NWC then it would be obvious how it was earned.
S&P=7 Hours (Fleet Seminar)
JMO=7 Hours (Fleet Seminar)
NSDM=7 Hours (Fleet Seminar
International Relations=4 Hours (NWC online course)
International Law=4 Hours (NWC online course)
Directed Research=1 Hour (NWC "thesis")
This is 30 hours of coursework with a B- or better for the masters from the NWC. You can get the NWC degree with the 9 hours of approved electives from another institution.

FSSF

pilot
IS that JPME-1 and 2. Can you get the entire NWC experience w/o going there? Good question then for he FLAG Panel or the detailers.

"If I finish JPME and complete the extra electives to get an NWC MAster's, does that count for having both completed JPME and a Masters degree, or do I still have to get an outside masters"

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I think that you're confusing requirements for items that will make you competitive. To my knowledge (and I'm USMC, but Title X is still Title X), there is not a statuatory requirement for any of this stuff (PME, Masters, OOD letter, etc). What you are looking for is gouge on what will make you competitive. That is going to change from board to board and year to year. You'll get a different answer from every senior officer that has sat on a board.

Granted, PME is all but a statuatory requirement for promotion these days, and for the navy a masters may be too. But it's not going to be written down on a list of "required items" for any particular board. You're not going to find a solid answer to your question.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
IS that JPME-1 and 2. Can you get the entire NWC experience w/o going there? Good question then for he FLAG Panel or the detailers.

"If I finish JPME and complete the extra electives to get an NWC MAster's, does that count for having both completed JPME and a Masters degree, or do I still have to get an outside masters"
If you go to the NWC resident program, then you will get both Phase 1 and 2. If you do Distance education, you only get Phase 1, which is the pre-req for Joint Forces Staff College (Phase 2).....and you need to get an outside Masters. The way to game it least amount of pain is to take your fleet seminar program 21 hours to a place that will accept it and do the balance of their Masters req. AMU is probably your best bet. Just og get an MBA, it takes 14 months at 2 nights a week and will help you in the civilian world more than the military masters (unless you go into SES or politics...then you want both)

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Since I'm so far ahead of schedule I'm only looking to make O-4 and not DH. I will be able to get 4 of 6 payments of the DH bonus before I fail to select twice. I have no motivation to get a masters or JPME. While I would like to go as high as I can, I just don't have any motivation to have to do all the extra work.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I think that you're confusing requirements for items that will make you competitive. To my knowledge (and I'm USMC, but Title X is still Title X), there is not a statuatory requirement for any of this stuff (PME, Masters, OOD letter, etc). What you are looking for is gouge on what will make you competitive. That is going to change from board to board and year to year. You'll get a different answer from every senior officer that has sat on a board.

Granted, PME is all but a statuatory requirement for promotion these days, and for the navy a masters may be too. But it's not going to be written down on a list of "required items" for any particular board. You're not going to find a solid answer to your question.

All good points, but there is now an actual requirement to complete JPME to screen for command. Don't know about the Marines, but this NAVADMIN addresses the Navy requirement:

R 021653Z MAY 05
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
TO NAVADMIN
UNCLAS //N01521//
NAVADMIN 093/05
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/APR//
SUBJ/JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION COMMAND REQUIREMENT//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. TODAY'S LEADERS MUST COMPREHEND JOINT FORCE EMPLOYMENT AND BE ABLE TO APPLY THIS CONCEPT IN THE JOINT WAR-FIGHTING ENVIRONMENT. AS PART OF THE NAVY'S HUMAN CAPITAL STRATEGY, JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE IS A VITAL MILESTONE IN EVERY OFFICER'S PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT. WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION CONTINUUM IN NAVADMIN 263/04, JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE IS
NOW A REQUIREMENT FOR UNRESTRICTED LINE OFFICERS SCREENING TO UNRESTRICTED LINE COMMANDER COMMAND (ACTIVE DUTY AND RESERVE COMMANDS) BEGINNING WITH SCREENING GROUPS RECEIVING THEIR FIRST LOOK DURING THE FISCAL YEAR 2009 COMMAND SELECTION BOARD (HELD FEBRUARY
THROUGH DECEMBER 2008). SELECTED RESERVE COMMAND BILLETS, INCLUDING THOSE COMPETED FOR VIA THE APPLY PROCESS, ARE UNDER REVIEW TO DETERMINE WHICH BILLETS WILL BE SUBJECT TO THIS REQUIREMENT.
2. COMPLETING JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE IN A RESIDENT PROGRAM, SUCH AS THAT OFFERED AT THE NAVAL WAR COLLEGE, REMAINS THE MOST PREFERRED MEANS TO ACCOMPLISH THIS OBJECTIVE. RESIDENT PROGRAMS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT THE OTHER SERVICES' WAR COLLEGES AND MANY FOREIGN WAR COLLEGES. SINCE IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO
SEND EVERY OFFICER TO A RESIDENT PROGRAM, A VARIETY OF OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE THAT ALLOW OFFICERS TO COMPLETE JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE VIA DISTANCE LEARNING.
3. THERE ARE FOUR CHAIRMAN JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF-ACCREDITED, MARITIME-FOCUSED, NAVAL WAR COLLEGE DISTANCE EDUCATION PROGRAMS THAT ALLOW OFFICERS TO EARN A NAVAL WAR COLLEGE INTERMEDIATE LEVEL SERVICE COLLEGE DIPLOMA AND COMPLETE JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE. THESE INCLUDE:
A. NAVAL WAR COLLEGE - NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL PARTNERSHIP OFFERS A PROGRAM THAT IS OPEN TO ALL OFFICERS, LIEUTENANT AND ABOVE, WHO ARE ENROLLED IN THE NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL. ENROLLMENT PRIORITY IS GIVEN TO
ACTIVE DUTY UNRESTRICTED LINE OFFICERS. THESE OFFICERS HAVE A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO COMPLETE JOINT PROFESSIONAL
MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE WHILE EARNING A NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL MASTERS DEGREE AND A SUBSPECIALTY CODE. THIS PROGRAM REQUIRES 4 COURSES OF CLASSROOM COURSEWORK TAUGHT BY THE NAVAL WAR COLLEGE FACULTY. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND AT THE NAVAL
POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL WEBSITE, WW.NPS.EDU/ACADEMICS/INDEX.HTML.
B. NAVAL WAR COLLEGE FLEET SEMINAR PROGRAM OFFERS A PROGRAM AT 19 LOCATIONS THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES, AND SEMINARS CONVENE DURING THE ACADEMIC YEAR (AUGUST THRU MAY). NAVADMIN 130/04 LISTS LOCATIONS AND ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS.
C. NAVAL WAR COLLEGE WEB-ENABLED CORRESPONDENCE PROGRAM OFFERS A PROGRAM USING THE EDUCATIONAL MEDIUM OF THE WEB. THIS PROGRAM IS OPEN TO ALL OFFICERS, LIEUTENANT AND ABOVE, WITH ENROLLMENT PRIORITY GIVEN TO ACTIVE DUTY UNRESTRICTED LINE OFFICERS. OFFICERS WORK IN FACULTY-LED, ON-LINE SEMINARS. THIS PROGRAM TAKES APPROXIMATELY 18 MONTHS TO COMPLETE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND ON THE NAVAL WAR COLLEGE, COLLEGE OF DISTANCE EDUCATION WEBSITE,
CDE.NWC.NAVY.MIL.
D. NAVAL WAR COLLEGE CD-ROM-BASED CORRESPONDENCE PROGRAM OFFERS A PROGRAM USING THE EDUCATIONAL MEDIUM OF THE CD-ROM. THIS PROGRAM IS INTERCHANGEABLE WITH THE WEB-ENABLED PROGRAM, AND TAKES APPROXIMATELY 16-18 MONTHS TO COMPLETE. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
CAN BE FOUND IN NAVADMIN 210/04.
4. THE AIR COMMAND AND STAFF COLLEGE NON-RESIDENT CD-ROM PROGRAM PROVIDES NAVAL OFFICERS THE OPPORTUNITY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE AIR FORCE JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE PROGRAM. THIS INTERMEDIATE LEVEL PROGRAM FOCUSES ON AEROSPACE POWER, AND OFFERS A MEANS TO COMPLETE JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE FOR THOSE OFFICERS WHO ARE UNABLE TO TAKE ONE OF
THE MARITIME-FOCUSED NAVAL WAR COLLEGE PROGRAMS. THIS PROGRAM IS AUTHORIZED FOR NAVAL OFFICERS IN THE GRADES OF LIEUTENANT AND ABOVE AND IS DESIGNED FOR COMPLETION IN A MAXIMUM OF 18 MONTHS. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND AT THE AIR COMMAND AND STAFF COLLEGE WEBSITE, WWW.ACSC.MAXWELL.AF.MIL, SELECT DISTANCE LEARNING.
ON THE AIR COMMAND AND STAFF COLLEGE APPLICATION, LIEUTENANTS SHOULD LINE OUT MAJOR SELECT AND WRITE IN O3.
5. BECAUSE THE NAVY IS A MARITIME SERVICE, PROGRAMS THAT OFFER SERVICE-SPECIFIC PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION IN A MARITIME CONTEXT ARE PREFERRED. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE NAVAL WAR COLLEGE-NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL PARTNERSHIP WHICH IS RESERVED FOR OFFICERS ATTENDING NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL, OFFICERS CAN ENROLL IN
ANY OF THE NAVAL WAR COLLEGE DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAMS BY GOING TO THE NAVAL WAR COLLEGE COLLEGE OF DISTANCE EDUCATION WEBSITE, CDE.NWC.NAVY.MIL.
6. NAVY INCREASED MARITIME-FOCUSED JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE OPPORTUNITIES BY OVER 400 QUOTAS SINCE FISCAL YEAR 2003, AND WILL INCREASE BY ANOTHER 600 IN FISCAL YEAR 2006. FOR THOSE OFFICERS WHO, DUE TO A HIGH OPTEMPO CAREER PATH, ARE UNABLE TO COMPLETE JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE
PRIOR TO THEIR COMMUNITY'S COMMANDER COMMAND SCREENING BOARD, A TEMPORARY DEFERRAL PROCESS WILL PROVIDE A PROVISION FOR THEIR SELECTION FOR COMMAND, IF OTHERWISE QUALIFIED. HOWEVER, THEY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ASSUME COMMANDER COMMAND UNTIL JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE IS COMPLETE.
7. COMMANDING OFFICERS SHOULD ENCOURAGE THEIR OFFICERS TO COMPLETE JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE EARLY IN THEIR CAREERS AS ELIGIBILITY AND OPPORTUNITY PERMIT. THIS MILESTONE SHOULD BE COMPLETED BETWEEN 6 AND 13 YEARS OF COMMISSIONED SERVICE.
8. POCS:
- LCDR DAVID KEMP, (703) 693-2328/DSN 223 OR EMAIL AT
DAVID.S.KEMP(AT)NAVY.MIL
- LT PONCE CLAY, (901) 874-4100/DSN 882 OR EMAIL AT
PONCE.CLAY(AT)NAVY.MIL
9. RELEASED BY VADM G. L. HOEWING, N1

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
This is a little above my "paygrade," but how does one get to go to a War College (search rejects, "war," on the irony)?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Thanks, FynSpy. My knowledges have increased. Just to make sure that I understand the navy terminology, JPME1=Intermediate Level School (ILS)=USMC Command and Staff. Right?

Is JPME2=Top Level School=The National War College/MCWAR/Etc? Or is JPME2 the 6ish week class at Norfolk that makes you "Joint Certified"? I get confused because the navy does both ILS and TLS at the Naval War College. For Marines, saying that "You're going to the War College" means TLS. I.e. you're probably going to be a Colonel (post command).

Ifr I'm right as to JPME1, then that message is all but moot. In the USMC it is not a requirement as far as I know, but if you haven't done Command and Staff (ILS), you'll be extremely lucky to make LtCol, mush less get command. I'm pretty sure that the navy is the same way, but I dunno. Has anybody heard of somebody getting command without doing ILS recently? I'd be shocked if it happened in the Marines. VERY low Pk shot.

FSSF

pilot
I think that you're confusing requirements for items that will make you competitive.

Solid point Dude. However, I would contend that most items are required at some point. The when determines competitiveness. Like doing Phase I as a LT. Your required to have I and II to promote to or past 05. Competitive if you complete PI as a LT. Communities and boards do however seem to dictate if an when those items will make you a competitor.

7. COMMANDING OFFICERS SHOULD ENCOURAGE THEIR OFFICERS TO COMPLETE JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION PHASE ONE EARLY IN THEIR CAREERS AS ELIGIBILITY AND OPPORTUNITY PERMIT. THIS MILESTONE SHOULD BE COMPLETED BETWEEN 6 AND 13 YEARS OF COMMISSIONED SERVICE.

Thoughts?

FSSF

pilot
R 021653Z MAY 05
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
TO NAVADMIN
UNCLAS //N01521//
NAVADMIN 093/05
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/APR//
SUBJ/JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION COMMAND REQUIREMENT//:boring_12

I noticed that sucker didn't say Shite about PPME. However the ADM Mullens intro to the PPME course might beg to differ. negative 15 Rep points to myself for looking. (can yo have negative rep?)

NUTS:icon_hamm

BTW Spy you get your Message traffic Merit Badge for tracking that one down.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
JPME is like the Warfare system for enlisted. Getting EAWS/ESWS was a way to break out among your peers. Then big Navy made it a requirement. Warfare qualls lost part of their value once they did that. They did the same with college degrees. JPME will IMO be a requirement in the future to get selected for O-4.