• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
wink said:
I expect you were just lucky.

Yeah, because it definitely WASNT his package. It's a miracle of god he even got NFO ;) kidding kidding.

I'll tell you what, sometimes I feel it is a good thing that I wasn't selected for pilot, especially with the "bar raising" in A-pool to get rid of the excess applicants and all the excessive stashing going on.

A friend of mine was selected for pilot (NROTC 2005), and he is strongly considering going to get his master's instead of heading to API until things clear up.

A part of me thinks it is just a better idea to try a LAT transfer (be it to the Marines, or to Navy aviation) after my four year commitment to supply is up (i'll be 26 years old). Things can change a lot in six years, or a year for that matter.

f/a 18 man

I just recieved the NROTC scholarship, and obvioulsy want avaiation. Since someone mentioned that the Marines are taking in a lot more pilots then the Navy, can I go through NROTC and then just switch to the Marines, or how can I go about switching to the Marine Corp option for ROTC?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
f/a 18 man said:
I just recieved the NROTC scholarship, and obvioulsy want avaiation. Since someone mentioned that the Marines are taking in a lot more pilots then the Navy, can I go through NROTC and then just switch to the Marines, or how can I go about switching to the Marine Corp option for ROTC?

Be warned, someone will probably give you crap for wanting to "go marine just for a pilot slot and not to be a marine" etc etc etc. But yes, you can switch over to become a marine option. Im not sure of the exact process, but it involves putting in a package to change your scholarship from Navy to Marine. Boards are held, and selectees are chosen. Marine options can get garunteed flight contracts (not sure how that process works either), while you cannot as an NROTC MIDN. That being said, show up and see how you like the navy thing before your set on changing over. After all, we are talking about the Marines needing pilots today while the navy doesn't. In 4-5 years from now that could be totally reversed- and then you'd probably feel like a jackass for switching over just because you wanted a pilot slot.

Godspeed

pilot
Patmack18 said:
Coming from a mid still in college... it dosen't come off as salty it comes off as stupid.

1st of all, I'm not a midshipman.

I love how people think that they are correct in an argument SOLELY because they are more experienced than others. Instead of using immature unconstructive criticism, give a reason, or an explanation. Or perhaps the whole basis of your argument rests in the fact that "you only put pilot on your app."

Either way man, I would appreciate it if instead of simply calling me or my opinions stupid, that you refute them tactfully and intelligently.

Godspeed

pilot
I was trying to convey the train of thought that suggests that those that want to be pilots 1st, and naval officers 2nd, should fly commercially. I am sure i'm not the only one this board that feels naval aviators should possess the desire of becoming a Naval Officer FIRST, and an aviator second.

P.S. No where in my post did I question ANYONE'S motivation to serve their country.

Reactions: bch

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
May I suggest a compromise understanding? If someone is only going to put pilot down as their first and only choice, then they better be willing to serve as a Naval Officer "first" as a condition of the offer of pilot training. Afterall, Naval Officer, is not one of the program designators you can request on your application. Wanting to be a Naval Officer is understood.

Godspeed

pilot
firefriendly said:
Saying that unless you have a gung ho spirit to do anything and everything the navy has just to be a naval officer is fine but not for everyone. .......that doesnt mean they should drop out and go commercial so the "more-deserving" SWOs SUPPOs and INTEL people can lateral into aviation.

Apparently some are really not catching what I am saying here. Let me put it this way. I am sure you all have heard about individuals looking in to the marine corps because there are more flight opportunities.

People are quick to respond with "Make sure you want to be a marine first, and a pilot second. Don't abuse the corps. Being a marine has to be more important that being a pilot."

This is EXACTLY what I am saying, however I feel that it applies to the Navy as well. Some agree with me, and some don't.

I never said anything about "more deserving suppos, SWOs and Intel's should take the slots of the less deserving." So I don't know where you pulled that from.

Patmack18 said:
good point. let me put it like this... I wanted to serve my country. I wanted to do that as an officer in the navy. pilots are officers. I wanted to be a pilot. good enough for you speed? Never mind that I'm a 4th generation naval officer in my family... I kinda knew what I was getting myself into...

I'll bet all four of you had the same crusty old bat teaching Navy customs and traditions before the dinning out at OCS.

Seriously that is cool as hell. I am 4th gen military, 3rd Navy. My grandpa was a CMC (carpenters mate) with the SeaBees in WWII, my dad was an AOC during Vietnam. I am proud to be wearing khakis like them, even though we all went about it in different ways, at different times, and for different reasons.

Peace, Love, and Poopies

lance

May be of some help

Benson said:
Hey all,

I am a college sophomore and am new to the site; however, i have been readying a lot of post from the forums with regard to studying the ASTB. 3 weeks ago i started the application process for the BDCP. My first and only choice is pilot. My recruiter of course says there are some slots open for Fiscal Year 2007, but he is trying to get me to go NFO. Can anyone confirm whether there are slots available. I read some ppls posts which show high ASTB scores and etc . . . and the do not get accepted and others with lower scores who do. it seems like it must just really just come down to a matter of timing. I have been studying ARCO, Gouge, and Cliff Notes like crazy +studying with some air force fighter pilots i know, i PT hard everyday, and my GPA is a solid 3.4. I just dont want it to all be in vein. anyways, if anyone knows anything about pilot slot availabilties, just let me know. thanks.

Jordan

I was selected last June for a 2006 slot. I go to a Aviation school and my recruiter has been pushing me and my roomate (ALSO SELECTED FOR 2006) to recruite hard. However, in early february, as i understand it there were no more 2006 Navy(I believe-selection is nation wide) slots avaliable. We are trying to get people for 2007 and up.

Don't know if it will help, but good luck... MARINE PLC PROGRAM (I believe-selection is within the recruiting district) is ok too. you won't get the pay during school like the BDCP, but you will get a guarenteed flight slot "contract".. REMEMBER "Marine aviators are Marines first then Aviators." ---had a cousin with them for 20 yrs retired colonel loved every minute of it AV-8b flyer.

Might look into Airforce. ATI or something like that, word has it they have a few slots available(not sure about selection). Don't have to apply/get selected until 365 days before you would go to the airforces officer school(I believe-ATI).

P.S. Get your cummulative up around 3.7, boards dig that and above. If you know any pilots ask to borrow their Private Pilot test prep,these are published by Gleim or ASA, learn some of the basics about wing design,Aerodynamics, and other basics.

Lance

Speed is Life, More is Better.

Kycntryboy

pilot
lance2 said:
.... However, in early february, as i understand it there were no more 2006 Navy(I believe-selection is nation wide) slots avaliable.
Did your recruiter give you this information...Yes, the selection is nation wide.
lance2 said:
Get your cummulative up around 3.7, boards dig that
...so do the chicks... so do the chicks.

lance

[quote}Patmack18 The only thing I had on my application was pilot. My recruiter tried to tell me that putting NFO down may make me more attractive (hey I need all the help I can get!) but I didn't want to be an NFO, or SWO, or anything else. Why get picked up for something I didn't want, and probably wouldn't have accepted?[/QUOTE]

I agree. Why apply if you already know there is no way you are going to accept the contract. If you got what the board is looking for, you will get selected. If not try another branch, or change something- like grades, major, or get some prior military-flight experience.

Speed is Life, More is Better

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Kycntryboy said:
Did your recruiter give you this information...Yes, the selection is nation wide.

...so do the chicks... so do the chicks.

I'd be surprised if 06 was completely full. Because the last time I met with my recruiter 05 had just filled up completely. That was in late Feb.

We didnt discuss 06, but 07 was only 8% full. Granted I imagine that is not accurate anymore, I bet there are still slots for 06.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RHPF said:
I'd be surprised if 06 was completely full. Because the last time I met with my recruiter 05 had just filled up completely. That was in late Feb.

We didnt discuss 06, but 07 was only 8% full. Granted I imagine that is not accurate anymore, I bet there are still slots for 06.

Are you talking BDCP or regular workforce OCS? I haven't been into the office for about three weeks but I'd bet that '06 OCS pilot is gone by now. SWO was gone a long time ago and NFO will fill real soon. BDCP '06 pilot and NFO probably still have some quotas left.

Status
Not open for further replies.