• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benson

Hey all,

I am a college sophomore and am new to the site; however, i have been readying a lot of post from the forums with regard to studying the ASTB. 3 weeks ago i started the application process for the BDCP. My first and only choice is pilot. My recruiter of course says there are some slots open for Fiscal Year 2007, but he is trying to get me to go NFO. Can anyone confirm whether there are slots available. I read some ppls posts which show high ASTB scores and etc . . . and the do not get accepted and others with lower scores who do. it seems like it must just really just come down to a matter of timing. I have been studying ARCO, Gouge, and Cliff Notes like crazy +studying with some air force fighter pilots i know, i PT hard everyday, and my GPA is a solid 3.4. I just dont want it to all be in vein. anyways, if anyone knows anything about pilot slot availabilties, just let me know. thanks.

Jordan

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
All right man, if you had searched a little more you would find that NO ONE can answer the question of how many slots there are and what is considered competitive.

That being said, a little advice. A- If you want to be a pilot, that is cool, a lot of did... however, more importantly, you will be a naval officer and becoming that needs to be a high priority.

Reason I say that... because I am sure you next post is gonna be something like, "what is needed to get fighters/jets." The answer, NO ONE knows. There is a very good chance that you could get into flight school and not select jets. Here is where being an officer first comes into play.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I got rejected for pilot 2007. If I didn't get it, no one else is capable. :D Kidding of course. Bch knows what he is talking about (occasionally :D). Listen to him.

On a side note, allthough this might be salty sounding, but I question anyone that doesn't have a second or third designator on their application. I personally feel that those that are the most deserving of flight slots, are those that would gladly serve the navy as a swo, or in a way other than aviation. Becoming a naval officer should be first priority, pilot second.

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
I'm going to give you the answer that I think should be intro page to this website....You will never get accepted unless you apply!

Benson

Thanks for the help guys. I am not one of those guys who wants just fighters/jets, by the way. I just want to fly in a branch of the military. All am askin is if anyone knows anything about avilability. which Bch clearly made obvious. have a good day all!

Benson

nugget81

pilot
Here's what the others didn't tell you: The Navy has too many pilots currently but the forecast for FY 2007 is unclear. The Marines need pilots and have even gone so far as to ask some Navy guys to transfer to the Marines. If you want to be a Navy pilot, apply to the Navy BDCP and get paid to go to school if you get selected. If not, apply to the Marines. Just keep doing what you're doing (training, studying hard, etc) and apply - the only way to get anything is to ask for it!! I never thought that I'd get accepted to the Navy BDCP for SNA (pilot), but I did for FY 2007.

Benson

Thanks a lot Nugget for the advice it has put things in a different perspective. And I will start looking into the Marines, i did not know they are in such a need. Thanks again bud.

DarkMesa8

My recruiter had stats for FY2006 as far as slots approximately available (stats like 18 of 32, 30 of 30) but when I asked him about FY2007 which I was shooting for, he didn't know. Have they not established what they want in FY2007 yet?

Kycntryboy

pilot
DarkMesa8 said:
(stats like 18 of 32, 30 of 30) but when I asked him about FY2007 which I was shooting for, he didn't know. Have they not established what they want in FY2007 yet?
How am I suppose to read that 18 slots taken out of 32 available? ... The FY2007 has a number right now (the have a number right now because people are applying for it and they accept or deny based on that number, but that number changes and whatever number it is when they get their hands on your app. is the number that matters.)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 2007 SNA numbers started out around 80 quotas. As good a chance as you will get for SNA is 2007 BDCP. To paraphrase the late (original) Mayor Daley of Chicago: Apply early and apply often!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
80-90 is the about the annual quota seen for the last few years. Is it alot? They will take more NFOs, supply guys and I believe Intel types. Much fewer than 80 SWOs will be hired. Some perspective from the old salt: When I was an active duty recruiter in the mid 80s my District alone put in 30-50 pilots and NFOs each a year, 25 or so SWOs. Less than 100 a year nationwide would have been unbelievable just 10 years ago.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know better than to ask that question vette. Too many variables. Depends on when you applied, what the package looked like, color of socks you were wearing, phase of the moon. I expect you were just lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.