• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pentagon cuts aircraft carrier presence in the Gulf due to budget

SECDEF broke the news... kind of like a big CO?
sbr8czq.jpg

Renegade One

None
Stennis. Isn't Ike in the yards right now for repairs?
The posted article says: "The Eisenhower was in the Gulf but was brought home in December for maintenance [Ed.: Resurfacing flight deck.]. It will return later this month, but plans for the USS Harry S. Truman to deploy have been cancelled. "

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The posted article says: "The Eisenhower was in the Gulf but was brought home in December for maintenance [Ed.: Resurfacing flight deck.]. It will return later this month, but plans for the USS Harry S. Truman to deploy have been cancelled. "
I'm afraid that's a violation of AW's copyright policy. Please use a link vice the quote.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I wouldn't be so sure of that. This is going to be the new normal and there are going to be significant impacts, regardless of platform. I don't know the answer to this, but I suspect the sub(s) that were to deploy with the CSG probably aren't going to head out on their own, so in a sense, this cancellation for HST does affect the sub community.

I'm thinking SUPPO mode in terms of purchasing and maintenance. I never seen a sub chop beg for funding.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Wow. And I thought we were getting a raw deal when we were told to cut our flight sked down last month due to budget issues and this month, they straight up canx'd a whole mission set to save money and divert those hours elsewhere.

At least we're ON deployment!

It's a brave new world, kids.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm thinking SUPPO mode in terms of procurement and maintenance. I never seen a sub chop beg for funding.
Tracking... I've also never seen an entire CSG deployment cancelled for lack of funding. I just don't want anyone to think they're immune from the processes that are now unfolding. OSD is playing hardball.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
From a (nearly) 600-ship Navy early in my career to canx'ing an entire CSG deployment. Is there precedent for this or are we treading new ground here?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have we figured out the high side Airwarriors website yet? The rainbow would have some into that would be useful I'm sure.... Well, we need a SIPR Airwarriors.

Do the math on the number of hulls vs maintenance cycle. How was a 2.0 presence sustainable?

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Stennis. Isn't Ike in the yards right now for repairs?

Yes, for a new deck

I love how WAVY-10 broke this story before any of the aircrew in CVW-3 knew about it. I texted my buddies and they hadn't yet heard through official channels.

Haha, yea. I got the text from skipper. Still getting underway......just to fly the birds off, though.
Standby for CVW-3 offload.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Times change.

Once upon a time during a promised 6-month turnaround, we went to do some CQ on the USS Midway out of NAS Alameda. After two days of ops we unexpectedly got flash word to "proceed immediately to Vietnam!"

Yikes! This was a two month early surprise! Fortunately, the ship instead of going direct to Southeast Asia as indicated, pulled into port on Friday for us to quickly tie up affairs. Then on Monday we left for an 11 month cruise. [Not all of us returned.]

oaktribbig.jpg

Attachments

• oaktribbig.jpg
    oaktribbig.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 17

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yikes! This was a two month early surprise! Fortunately, the ship instead of going direct to Southeast Asia as indicated, pulled into port on Friday for us to quickly tie up affairs. Then on Monday we left for an 11 month cruise. [Not all of us returned.]
I remember Shipmate, how well I remember!:eek:
BzB

MasterBates

My old squadron made some "CAG-7, We deploy so you don't have to" patches a while back..

I guess they should put them back in production.