• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevincjr1

John,
What are your future plans as far as aviation. Do you plan on making a career out of the Navy or are you shooting for the commercial airline industry or test pilot,etc. I heard that if you are shooting for the airlines as a career then the p-3's are the way to go, is this true. And what about other fields like test pilots are flying p-3's a good benefit for getting into that area.

Kevin Allen Casselle Jr.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am going to stay in for the whole career. I have 12 years in (roughly) right now, and my commitment takes me out to 16, so I am definitely going to stay in. My criteria is, if I am still having fun, then I am going to keep doing it. I personally like putting on my uniform (whether it is the flightsuit or khakis) each day, and serving my country, especially during a period such as this where we are needed to do our part. $$ aren't everything (and no offense Frumby), but flying from point A to B and watching the fuel comsumption and making sure I am on time is not something I relish, even if the bucks are so much better. For me, icing on the cake would be to make it all the way to having my own squadron and being a CO, then I could get out and say I did it all. But for now, I am just trying to survive my JO tour, and still have a good time.

As for test pilots, yes, you can put in for that, we have had two NFOs get picked up from my command in the last year, and two of the pilots applied but didn't get in. That is not a route I am interested in, I would like to become a P3 instructor pilot and go to the FRS and teach, or failing that go to the VT as a T34 IP. I think teaching others to fly would be a blast.

Reserve P3s are not going to be a factor for me, I will do my time and retire, and go on and do something else for a living.

And yes, I have heard that the P3 sets you up nicely for getting into the airlines, the hours don't hurt that is for sure. But in a market with what 6,000 or so furloughed pilots, I don't think the majors are hiring right now (expect those isolated cases like Southwest and Jetblue). If airlines are your eventual goal, then you might think about the E6 TACAMO and fly the 707, I am sure travislikes would have some input there.

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
I am in the same sitch that John is in. I will have 15 years once my aviation commitment is up. I chose tacamo because I thought the deployment cycle (3 1/2 weeks gone, 6 weeks home) would be a little better suited for family life. Tacamo guys have always had no trouble getting hired on with the majors (until recent events). Right now, Jetblue and Southwest are the only guys hiring, so that is where most guys are going. A lot of guys are going across the parking lot to VQ-7 to be 737 instructors and then going directly from there to Southwest. As far as the mission goes, though, I doubt it gets more dull than Tacamo. If you are looking for a life of excitement, it doesn't fly out of Oklahoma.
Never having given it much thought other than in passing, I really don't know if Tacamo pilots have any advantage at all over P-3 pilots when it comes to the airlines. Both are multi-piloted, multi-engine crew aircraft.

Kevincjr1

Travis,Could you tell me a little bit about the missions in flying the E-6. Also how does one get to fly the E-6...in other words what Platform is it on (i.e. Jets). Also what is the percentage of those who put in for E-6 and come out with it.

Kevin Allen Casselle Jr.

jwilliamsee

Great questions guys these are answering alot for me! John I was wondering what the actual cycle for a first hitch is? What I mean is does it go sea tour, shore tour, sea tour disassociated. How long are each and what options do you have. Thanks

JayManC

Kevin, The E-6B has it's own platform track, you do primary/intermediate with the Navy and then go do Advanced/Phase III with the AF in the bomber/tanker track. FYI if that's really what you're interested in you should look to Dave Werner's journal.
Hey travislikes....isn't Enid a dry county? With Navy boys out there, what fun is that?

<insert something witty here:>

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
Yeah, whoever decided to move Tacamo out of Hawaii and Pax and into OK should be shot! I think it is all part of the "joint mission" thing. I don't think the Navy could have purchased all of these nice new airplanes without sacrificing something. Oh, well, I have seen enough water in my time in the Navy to hold me over until retirement. Anybody who has a set of dolphins or water wings can testify to that.

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
John,
What coast are you stationed? and What base? I am currently in NAV school and am hoping to get P-3's out of JAX. We have our first flight in the T-43's on Tuesday (AF version of B737) our first time navigating the "Gator" as its called. Just wish I could use my hand-held GPS instead of plotting DR's

Lewisinhk

Hi John and anyone else who has gone through the SNA training: there are alot of slots for helo's, but if you want to fly an airplane in the Navy how hard is it to get a prop or jet slot even if it isnt your choice of airplane to fly? Hopefully, everyone who wants to fly helos and everyone who wants to fly an airplane get their request.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok, lots of questions to answer, here it goes.

John I was wondering what the actual cycle for a first hitch is? What I mean is does it go sea tour, shore tour, sea tour disassociated. How long are each and what options do you have
jwilliamsee, here is a quick break down on the rotation for P3 pilots:

FRS (6 months)
LT --First squadron sea tour (36 months)
First shore tour (30 months)
Second sea tour (disassociated 24 months)
LCDR -- FRS Refresher/Possible Shore Tour
Department Head squadron sea tour (24 months)
Second shore tour (36 months)
CDR --XO/CO Tour

What coast are you stationed?
NFOtoBE, I am stationed in Hawaii
icon_smile.gif

if you want to fly an airplane in the Navy how hard is it to get a prop or jet slot even if it isnt your choice of airplane to fly?
Lewisinhk, that is a much debated subject, and you can find a bunch of other threads on it, try searching for "selection" on the forums. It basically boils down to the needs of the Navy for that week, and what your NSS is in comparison to your peers across all 5 VTs. In a fair world, everyone will get what they want, but that does not happen. For the 3 months prior to my selection, there were ZERO P3 slots, and few if any jet slots. Then it all of a sudden opened up, and I was able to get P3s. Granted there were only 3 P3 slots available when I selected, and I count myself fortunate to have gotten one of them.

elise22

John thank you for all this info on P3s. I was wondering if anyone can give me a bit of info on the role of the NFO in P3s? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Elise22, I can provide you with the role of a NFO in a VP (Patrol) squadron, I honestly don't know all the job positions and what it entails to be one in the VQ community, I believe that have 3 NFOs on their planes, but I could be mistaken.

Ok, you have two principal position for NFOs on the P3:

- NAV/COMM, as the name implies, you are responsible for the navigation and communication (HFs and UHF/VHF with the battlegroup, the pilots will do all airways comms) of the P3. You will typically be a NAV/COMM for the first 18 months of your tour, till you upgrade to TACCO.

- TACCO, the tactical coordinator, their job is to utilize all the crew members and sensor stations to help best perform our mission. From positioning the aircraft (directing flight), to getting data from the acoustic and nonacoustic sensor operators, to sending radio messages through the NAV/COMM. A really hectic at times job, but an important one that is integral to the operation of the P3.

Hope that answers your question.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No problem, glad to help you out. The more people you talk to, and gather information from, the better your decision will be on which community to put in for. Personally, I am of course biased, and think P3s are the ONLY way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.