• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevincjr1

I have a couple of questions regarding the p-3 community and I was wondering if anyone knew some answers. I heard that the demand for p-3's is actually quite high and I was wondering if this was true. Also what is the difference between the lifestyle of a p-3 pilot as opposed to a jet pilot. I know that the p-3 is not carrier based so do p-3 pilots still have six month deployments...or how does it work. Do p-3 pilots get stationed to a particular area where a squadron is located and just fly missions for a certain amount of time and then come home. If someone could answer these questions it would be quite beneficial. Thanx in advance

Kevin Casselle

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Kevin, as the lone voice of reason on this forum (ie P3 pilot), I will go ahead and and take the lead and do my best to answer or shed some light on your questions.

P3 Pilot Demand: Well, as we have beaten to death in the past, it all depends on the "Needs of the Navy" and how the numbers stack up during your selection at Primary. How many slots are open in the Advanced Prop Pipeline? In turn, is the P3 FRS backed up? Or are they taking in people? I am sure there are other smoke and mirror aspects to it that I am unaware of, but that pretty much covers it. But with respect to pure numbers, we have roughly 60 officers in our wardroom, 2/3rds of which are pilots. I recently went through some training with the jet community, and ran into some old friends. Well, just 5 officers from ONE of our crews about damn near equalled their whole wardroom for one squadron. Definitely different. We require the 3 pilots per plane (Combat Air Crew), and sometimes when we have too many pilots, we have 4. So, yes, on the whole, I would say that the demand should be high for P3 pilots, I once saw a slide of what % P3 pilots were of the total Pilot inventory, think we were like 13% or something, could be way off. Helos still beat everyone hands down.

Lifestyle: P3 pilot does not go to the boat during his first tour. You go to your squadron, and are on an 18 month cycle, at home for one year, then deploy for 6 months. When you deploy, you have various det sites that your squadron is responsible for, and you rotate between those det sites, and the missions associated with them. Last deployment I lived in everything from a single BOQ room all to myself with a living room, to a tent in the desert with 12 other guys fighting off camel spiders, a hotel room at the sheraton, and the best (long term) Air Force accomodations in a near mini apartment at their BOQ, living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. It all just depends on what is going on, and where you are going to. Some of the det sites are places like Puerto Rico, Iceland, Rota, Sigonella for the East coast bubbas, and for us on the West coast, you have Kadena, Misawa, Diego Garcia and Bahrain. The lifestyle is ALOT different. Now, I am also familiar with haze gray and underway lifestyle, 2 + years on board a submarine. Anyways, being able to land at your base, go have a beer at the Oclub, or go out in town and have dinner are way up there on that lifestyle list. In addition, damn near close to 100% comms with the family at home. On my last deployment I had internet connectivity in every location, and in most had internet via my laptop in each of my BOQ rooms. Had ATT or DSN for the calls home, and in many cases my wife was able to call me. Depending on which deployment you are doing, in many cases your spouse will get to fly out and visit you while you are deployed, and during your crew leave cycle if your CO approves it. For one of my friends who is going through an East coast deployment to the tri site (Puerto Rico, Iceland, and Sig), he has been home THREE times to Maine as he has gone from det site to det site. Flying from Puerto Rico back up to Iceland, stopping to get gas and stay over night in Maine. Definitely a plus. Also, number of flight hours, I logged over 800 flight hours in my first deployment, and just recently went over a thousand hours in the P3.

Finally, one of the best things about P3s is the aircrew, you have 13 or so people that you fly missions with, and work together to get the job done. You become really close with those people as an extended family on deployment, and build some really great friendships. As one jet guy made a comment on here awhile ago, it is the "play well with others" principle! And definintely putting CRM to use!

BUT, if you are going to stay in the military, like I am, your THIRD tour is supposed to be a 2 year disassociated sea duty tour onboard ship. Your second tour is usually to a training command, VTs or FRS as an IP. There are many other choices also from Flag LT to duty pilot, to manning a staff job.

Well, I hope that answers your questions, I personally enjoy the lifestyle, the mission, and the people I fly with. And wouldn't have it any other way.

So, now my question, are you thinking about P3s as a possible platform to go fly?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Yep,

Whats diff between VQ and VP deployments? Lifestyles?

Dave

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't speak from experience about the VQ weenies, but from what I gather, they go on det for 6 weeks at a time, then come home for a little while, then go on det again.

Kevincjr1

John,yes I am thinking about p-3's as a possible platform. My future goal is to either further my career as a test pilot or a pilot for an airline or fedex or something like that. But I have been hearing things from both worlds the goods and bads. Like you explained earlier about the lifestyle of a p-3 pilot I find that very interesting because of the fact that I hope to have a family one day and I really don't want it too hard on my family when I am away even though this is something that I have to do. But on the other side I have heard that all p-3 pilots do is fly around for 8 hours at a time and it sometimes gets boring. Is this a fact or fiction...please give me your input.

Kevin Allen Casselle Jr.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Kevin,

Any deployment is rough on the family, six months without being around the house is a very large burden to drop on a spouse, and hats of to all of them for running the household, raising the kids as a "single" parent, paying the bills, and the million and one other things they do while we are off fighting and working for our country. Not only that, but finding the time to send care packages to you, and make your deployment all that more bearable. It is not a walk in the park, and all the services do it. On my last deployment I ran into Air Force guys and girls that had it a lot harder than the Navy, and were doing multiple back to back 3 month deployments. Anyways, your right, or at least I have the opinion having seen both worlds, that my fellow officers on board ship have a much harder lifestyle in terms of deployment. No wonder such traditions as "halfway night" become so important to you when out on cruise!

As for drilling holes in the sky, well, you either make really big cirlces or little small ones... Yes it can get boring, sitting in the chair as you orbit some godforsaken point in the middle of nowhere, and when I start thinking that, I remind myself that I am getting paid to fly. I have been fortunate to see some amazing sunrises and sunsets, drop down and circle a pod of whales or dolphins, surf the clouds, watch st. elmos fire play across the windscreen, drop down and rig some ships, crack stupid and crude jokes and O'dark thirty with the rest of the flight station and see the entire milky way open up for you. Also, which other platform is going to DET or do some show the flag flights to multiple foreign countires? Yeah, yeah, I know, the battle group makes the traiditional few port calls. But how about P3 crews that go to Australia on det to work with our fellow Aussie P3 pilots, or fly to Mauritius, Cocos, Thailand, Singapore, Korea and Guam? And that doesn't even cover the east coast.

Then of course there is the serious side, work on a real no **** SAR mission searching the ocean for a lost kayaker or downed aircrew (one of our crews found those lost B1B pilots off the coast of Diego Garcia), fly with the battle group, prosecute submarine or surface contacts, or work on reconaissance. The P3s are it, the jack of all trades, with a wide variety of missions and jobs that we go out and do. It is definitely a challenging and rewarding environment, that can be trying at times. When you have a plane that just isn't cooperating, and you are going into your 5th hour of preflight, for a 12 hour mission, those are the days that you can be real killer. But you still go out and get the job done, the maintainers are working their hearts out to get you airborne, the tuberats are preflighting your gear, and you as a pilot bring your own "A" game and make sure you handle your preflight.

I think I have given you a pretty good framework of what we do, and how we occupy our time. I think with ANY platform there is going to be something tedious or boring (starboard delta anyone?), tanking duty for those spiffy new F18 Superhornets? But I think there are WAY more items to outweigh that. But I think if you talk to anyone about their community and the platform they fly, you should get a positive read on what they do. Sounds like you are already doing the same thing I did, start asking questions and get the answers to make your best decision.

Kevincjr1

Hey John, Could you explain to me a little about the avionics aboard the p-3. Have they recently upgraded the flight deck as done to so many other aircraft as of lately. I have been looking at some pictures of the p-3, I really don't know if they were old or not but the avionics on the flight deck look primative (sorry the word sounds kind of harsh). But do the p-3's contain onboard computers and things of that nature. Or is the whole story about possibly getting rid of the p-3 for the 737, the possible reason for an upgrade on the p-3.

Kevin Casselle

Kevin Allen Casselle Jr.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Having just recently taken a tour of a brand new 737, sadly, the avionics in the P3 are nowhere close. Some of our birds have been given an upgrade to an EFDS (electronic flight display system), that replaces our HSI and FDI with two glass panels. Definitely a step in the right direction. Some of our planes have also gotten digital TIT gauges, but it is still the same gauge but with a digital total readout (ie 710 degrees). We are not certified for GPS approaches, though we have GPS. We have TACAN, VOR 1 and 2, ADF (hehe, good for radio stations), and of course the localizer through VOR1. Also, the NAV has two inertials that provide our position for long distance flights, coupled to the GPS.

It might not be the latest and greatest out there (anyone that has seen Falcon View's moving maps can attest to that), but it gets the job done. I have shot a number of no **** approaches in poor weather down to mins. The latest one was into North Island, I was the copilot, and no **** we popped right out at DH (RVR was low also), and the controller was on his money that day for the PAR.

Possible reason for upgrade? No, I doubt seriously that avionics for the pilots figure into any upgrade or rationale to do so. It all boils down to an aging airframe, that the Navy is realizing has about reached its limits, and it is time to move on to something updated. In the process the flight station (and the rest of the aircrew) are going to benefit from all the advances in technology. 737 isn't written into stone yet either, they are still running it off with the Lockheed Orion 21. Next year I believe we will find out who won.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
John,

Who do you think will get the new platform first. VP or VQ? Is the VQ role dull?

Dave

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave, anyone that could tell you when we are going to get the 737 (or new platform) is probably smoking crack. When the Boeing people were out here, they said they could field the plane in less than 3 years. The acquisition numbers say 2007 for first plane, of course you have testing, so would hit the fleet later. I read an article the other day saying would be Fleet wide 2012. I really don't know, but the P3 will be around for a while longer. But it is still a damn fun plane to fly.

I am personally all in favor of VP, any VQ dissenters out there? I would equate the VQ role with being "dull"
icon_smile.gif

And guess what, with VP, you get to caryy weapons!!

krocdawg

Hey John,
I have a question, I'm sure this has been discussed before on here too. Let's say if I wanted to fly P-3's.. I've always been interested in them, how hard would it be at the end of my committment to go reserve and fly the C-9's or 737's the Navy has. I have heard this is pretty much a long shot, but would like your opinion..
Thanks,
Dave

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
John,

I saw a guy smoking crack while on Christmas leave in Chicago. This guys had the pipe out walkin down the street.
hypnotized_125.gif
Maybe I should've asked him when the 737's are coming.
idea_125.gif

Dave

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave (krocdawg), I honestly don't know the details of getting to fly C9s or the newer 737 transports, I believe those are all TAR billets, but I could be mistaken. Best bet, if you ever run into one of those guys, ask them how they got there.

Dave (EODDave), yeah I guess you should have, uh, btw, your number got pulled today, and you need to report for random urinalysis testing...

krocdawg

John,
About P-3's in the Reserve? Do you know how that would work too, or is it similiar to the C9's and 73's. Thanks
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.