• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3's to E2/C2

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A lot of Marines want C-130s. I know several guys who got jets that had C-130s as their first choice. In fact, I know of more jet guys who wanted C-130s than C-130 dudes who wanted jets. There just aren't a lot of slots for them.

I'm not hating on the E2/C2, I just can't see why somebody would choose them first. As a second choice instead of P-3s? Sure.

Anything's better than choppers, of course.:D

I know, no big deal, just having some fun....afterall, I'm one of those who had to deal with being a C-2 guy. I tell ya, I was bitter for the longest time. I'm glad it's just Tailhook know, being it took the same NSS out of primary to get either not to long ago. I hear there are enough folks to want em each class so folks tend to get what they want; but again, just the gouge I got, could be wrong.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What do you know about the "jet type" while you're in Primary? I'm not trying to single you out, but I have seen a perception that I don't understand amongst Primary students. Can someone in Primary (or recently selected) explain what the jet type is?

Thats a good point. I don't know what the jet type is either. I tell ya, 98% of the jet dudes I know are all great guys, no super ego's, no higher than thou mentality. The other 2%, sure, but I've seen the same out of our own community. Poodle ring a bell?? Maybe the community is more cuthroat, I don't know but as far as jet type goes, not sure what that is.

MasterBates

Well, now the guys in TH get to meet cool COD guys.. Not just basing their opinion of the community on the one token COD guy (Kmac). It is kinda neat seeing guys come here being hardcore "Rhinos or BUST" guys, and by the end of FAMs they are going "CODs kinda cool, and VAW is tolerable".

phrogpilot73

Anything's better than choppers, of course.:D
Eat a dick.

What do you know about the "jet type" while you're in Primary? I'm not trying to single you out, but I have seen a perception that I don't understand amongst Primary students. Can someone in Primary (or recently selected) explain what the jet type is?
Why do you need a primary student to tell you that jet guys are gay?!? :D

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up from being in the Navy and wanting P-3s to flying Harriers?
I guess you haven't seen/read about HD's story. Started out as a NAVCAD, got RIF'd and decided the gun club was for him. That's it.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

You know, the not-bitter, going to make department head type...:D;)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Jet Guys?

Based on my extensive Primary experience (in lovely Milton, FL): The jet guys seem to legitimately love their jobs. Unlike the P-3 or helo types, jet guys like what they're doing and aren't filling out applications for Southwest. Jet guys talk about their fleet a/c and time at sea with relish, in contrast to most others who can only seem to say "at least I banked an a$$load of per diem" or "getting s#itfaced in XXX port was awesome". Jet guys also seem to think faster and fly better. Notice, I said 'seem'; not always the case (I had a jet guy overstress a bird on a form hop), but they all act like it is, and appearance counts for a lot, at least to a green STUD with no real base for comparison.

Or was that a rhetorical question?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Sorry to go off topic, but i was curious about this little gem... Any amplifying remarks?

HC-5 (HSC-25, now) had a bad rep back in the day - lots of folks dreaded getting Guam in the fear that it was the ass-end of nowhere. When I went through advanced there seemed to be a Guam draft going (7 out of ten classes had the #2 guy get HC-5 regardless of their preference card) - thought to be because of a string of mishaps and incidents - but I never saw any proof of that. Additionally, a lot of guys seemed to not want 46's - too many rumors of lower promotion rates and no respect from the rest of the Navy, and back in that time we were considered to be as un-tactical as a community could be.

The truth was that if you had even a little sense of adventure Guam was a good time. It was the last of the wild west in terms of Big Navy's near complete lack of supervision over us. The flying was great and it was a really good group of guys. I had stashed at a reserve helo squadron while waiting for primary and the stories I heard and people I met from the HC world convinced me that it was a hidden gem of an assignment.

(Sidenote: As a result of my stash experience I went in to primary wanting helos and planning to end up with "46's anywhere" on my preference card. I dropped 20 strokes off my golf game on the road to my wings, and in retrospect probably did better because instead of stressing about grades I was actually learning to fly).

Similarly, when I was a mid we heard "horror" stories about guys with jet grades getting "stuck" in E2/C2. But most COD guys I have met were pretty happy with their lot in life, and it is tricky to bitch about flying to the boat, but being paid extra not to live on it. (I won't speak to E2 guys, the only good friend I have from that community jumped to 1510-land like I did).

All this is just one person's perspective, your mileage may vary and feel free to move back to whatever started this thread. Move along, nothing to see here...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Based on my extensive Primary experience (in lovely Milton, FL): The jet guys seem to legitimately love their jobs. Unlike the P-3 or helo types, jet guys like what they're doing and aren't filling out applications for Southwest.

Filling out Southwest applications would probably be a smart thing to do, at least versus what else is out there. The few folks I know at Southwest love it and make more money than I do after only a few years versus my 15 years active duty. As a Captain, forget about it. My old CO is going to make twice what I make his first year as Captain (7 years in). In addition, you aren't getting the whole story about the communities, gauranteed.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Based on my extensive Primary experience (in lovely Milton, FL): The jet guys seem to legitimately love their jobs. Unlike the P-3 or helo types, jet guys like what they're doing and aren't filling out applications for Southwest. Jet guys talk about their fleet a/c and time at sea with relish, in contrast to most others who can only seem to say "at least I banked an a$$load of per diem" or "getting s#itfaced in XXX port was awesome". Jet guys also seem to think faster and fly better. Notice, I said 'seem'; not always the case (I had a jet guy overstress a bird on a form hop), but they all act like it is, and appearance counts for a lot, at least to a green STUD with no real base for comparison.

I know more than a handful of jet pilots trying to go to the airlines....helo types normally don't. Plenty of jet guys, especially in my YG are getting out. Jet guys have to think faster and probably in most cases fly better....(think NSS here)...you have to or else you will be behind the jet and then forget about the weapons and tactics, your toast. Just because you overstress does not mean you are a bad pilot. I know some really good pilots who over-G'd the T-34 due to unrecognizable spikes in the G...probably due to some turbulence during the maneuvering of the plane.

MasterBates

Having flown most every TRACOM aircraft we own at this point, the T-45 is the easiest to do instruments in.

44 would be easier, but since 90% of the approaches become a button-ex or a brief-ex, the 45 wins. RIs in the 57 suck. Period.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
In addition, you aren't getting the whole story about the communities, gauranteed.

That's DEFINITELY true. Obviously, I can't speak for communities other than VP however...

As much as it is in vogue to bash P-3 guys (and trust me, I make the jokes with the best of them)...I've found that the picture I had portrayed for me in Primary just really isn't what I've seen so far. The bottom line is that we aren't all bitter and angry. There are some great people, staff and student alike here. Yes, we probably care a little more about systems knowledge than the average 'hook pilot, but consider what we are flying. The quality and attitude difference, generally, between P-3 bubbas in Primary, and their counterparts here is amazing. In fact, two of the absolutely best instructors I've come across period, Navy or civilian, pilot or otherwise, are here at VP-30.

Bottom line? When I heard I got P-3's out of Primary, I was miserable because I didn't want to fly for four years with "that guy". Come to find out, "that guy" is something that "those guys" choose to become. As with anything, attitude is everything. I would still love a crack at going to the boat, but this IS NOT a bad place to be...and they had alot of convincing to do with me.

Based on my extensive Primary experience (in lovely Milton, FL): The jet guys seem to legitimately love their jobs. Unlike the P-3 or helo types, jet guys like what they're doing and aren't filling out applications for Southwest. Jet guys talk about their fleet a/c and time at sea with relish, in contrast to most others who can only seem to say "at least I banked an a$$load of per diem" or "getting s#itfaced in XXX port was awesome".

1. Plenty of P-3 and helo types love their job. If it seems like there aren't any, its because you've found a bunch of bitter instructors.
2. Filling out an application for SW, doesn't mean you don't like your job...as Bunk made evident...there are other reasons to make that choice.

scoober78 will now back away from the Kool-aid!:D;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Or was that a rhetorical question?

Of all my fellow helo IPs that were around throughout my tour I can't think of one that wanted SouthWest. I know of one HS guy that went to the airlines and came back to the Navy and the TRACOM flying T34s and T-6s.

I know perception can be reality sometimes, but it looks like you've got a pretty skewed view of the jet guys vs. helo guys. However, MY perception of P-3 guys is similar. The P-3 guys seem to be the most bitter about their experiences. BTW, I'm a helo guy and NEVER over-G'ed the Weiner, so that must mean I'm jet material. Any of you guys know where I sign up?