• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey?

KBayDog

Dammit, A4s, why did you ruin it? Of course it is a chock - I'm just trying to get into the "conspiracy theory" mindset. ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Dammit, A4s, why did you ruin it? Of course it is a chock - I'm just trying to get into the "conspiracy theory" mindset. ;)
Sorry, I'm not myself. Drooling, sobbing softly, shuffling in slippers and robe .... I just got rudely awakened by the BATF from Hot-Lanta calling me @ 0-dark-thirty to tell me they had screwed up my FFL renewal and would get it right. Someday ....

Glad they're on duty --- we can sleep well at night. Wait a minute --- no we can't.

THAT must be a conspiracy .... yes?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crowbar said:
Overall it just looks (to me) doctored. Check under the right engine nacelle. I can't find any visible exhaust, which can be seen under the left nacelle and under both engines on the approaching Osprey.

You need to get out more. The approaching Osprey is supporting its weight with those motors so it's going to have max efflux. The one on deck is turning at min rpm to keep from blasting people off their feet so efflux is minimized and you have two different backgrounds in which the efflux is present so it's going to look different unlike the approaching Osprey. I'll get you Timmy's NMCI address if you want to accuse him of doctoring an official photo...by the rules he operates under, he CANNOT do that, period. Some real pictures sometimes look faked, some faked ones can look real, but this is a REAL photo from OT testing in November.

KBayDog

The Red Lion used to have a house band, The Piranah Brothers, that played on Saturday nights. They had an Eagles spoof entitled "The Hotel Honolulu." ("Such a lovely place, it's a Navy Base...")

Anyway, one of my favorite lines:

"...Wake you up in the middle of the night and say, 'What time is it there?'"

Pags

N/A
pilot
Crowbar said:
Overall it just looks (to me) doctored. Check under the right engine nacelle. I can't find any visible exhaust, which can be seen under the left nacelle and under both engines on the approaching Osprey.
The osprey in real life looks doctored. I saw one a few months back at South Whiting and, like HeyJoe said, they look quite surreal in that shiny paint scheme. There's also something strange about seeing a military a/c looking that factory new. You're used to seeing them after 15yrs of use and exhaust stains.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The contrast between the lead osprey and the background is much higher than the contrast on -2 with its old school paint scheme, so I can see why you might think it would be a fake. But if you look at it full size, a lot those dark edges go away and it doesn't look like some HS kids ****ty attempt to photoshop in an osprey.

Whalebite

Crowbar said:
Dammit! I was wrong. I found another picture of a different Osprey with the same thing going on. Maybe if I spent more time looking through a camera lens than using my naked eyeballs I would have caught that. I still say it looks fake.

Go ahead, give it to me. I deserve it.
Damn Crowbar has admitted being wrong. Hell hath frozen over. Save this post for posterity, can a post be bronzed?:D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
A4sForever said:
That's why I asked the question, guys .... inquiring minds and all. I'm still not "sold" ... I read other stuff, too --- much of it critical. But I respect the perspective of knowledgeable people and especially .... (Phrog) .... operators. But the -46 ??? 1950's and early 1960's design (?) ... I'm quite sure the -22 would be "impressive" by comparison.

I'm not arguing here, just stating my perspective as a transition guy.

I agree that a direct comparision V-22 v. CH-46 is unfair. However, I've ridden in everything else the Marine Corps has, plus the H-60, and I still think the Osprey gives way more performance than anything else. The program test pilots and HMX-1 guys have way more experience in different models and will tell you the same thing. Now, is the difference worth the difference in dollars? I don't know. Fortunately, I don't write the checks. From a pilot's perspective, I'd much rather be going into combat in a V-22

If you pigeonhole a V-22 into a helo template, its survivability isn't that enhanced. But, if you employ it as it's meant to be, it gives you a much better chance. The range and speed mean more choices of where to go. The speed and altitude options mean you have more options of how to counter a threat, whether it be lo-high-lo, lo-lo, etc. And if I am going into a contested LZ, I'd rather go in at 200+ decelerate within a couple miles of the zone (I'm not going to put down the exact profile here), land, and scream out at 200+ again than putz in and out at 90-100 like we used to.

BTW, the IR suppressive paintjob is the bomb.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ All good stuff, I appreciate it. I thought you might think that I was the one being "argumentative" ... so if you're not ... and I'm not ... then who is .... :confused: :)

17568fon.jpg
Wishes.jpg
bluff1.jpg

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
The Osprey came back through the airport here again today. Got a better look at it. Definately USAF markings.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
theblakeness said:
The Osprey came back through the airport here again today. Got a better look at it. Definately USAF markings.

That would be the CV-22 variant. Edwards has a few of them in testing. They will will replace the MH-53J Pave Lows that are overdue for a new airframe.

Note darker paint scheme of CV-22

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
Dammit! I was wrong. I found another picture of a different Osprey with the same thing going on. Maybe if I spent more time looking through a camera lens than using my naked eyeballs I would have caught that. I still say it looks fake.
Has anyone noticed the lead osprey doesn't have a refueling probe. I thought that was standard for all aircrafts especially ones used by the naval services

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MarineAir said:
Has anyone noticed the lead osprey doesn't have a refueling probe. I thought that was standard for all aircrafts especially ones used by the naval services
I think they're removable/installed as required. You can see what amounts to a blank-off plate where it belongs on the front.

Brett

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
heyjoe said:
That would be the CV-22 variant. Edwards has a few of them in testing. They will will replace the MH-53J Pave Lows that are overdue for a new airframe.

Note darker paint scheme of CV-22

Yeah, im very close to Vandenberg Air Base, So I assumed that maybe they had gone over there for some Xcountry work and decided to do a touch and go at KSBP while they were in the area