• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey?

thatgnarlyguy

I just saw a osprey fly over the airport I work at..It looked like a small c-130... I was just have a few questions about it.
Have the Marines actually started using the Osprey in the fleet? What will be the primary mission for this plane? Finally, how often does it fly as a rotary wing vs. a fixed wing aircraft?

Lawman

None
‘Golden Eagles’ Become 2nd to House New MV-22 Osprey

(Source: US Marine Corps; issued Dec. 6, 2005)

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C. --- The Marines of Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron-162 will depart for new skies as the “Golden Eagles” become the second squadron to transition to the Osprey.

The Golden Eagles will stand-down and case their colors during a ceremony in the squadron hangar Friday at 3 p.m.

“It’ll be very similar to a change of command ceremony, but instead of passing the colors to the incoming (commanding officer) the sergeant major and I will be casing them until 162 stands up as (Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron-162) next November,” said Lt. Col. Kurt Diehl, HMM-162 CO.

According to Capt. Trevor A. Wilk, HMM-162 unit information officer, all 12 of the squadron’s CH-46E aircraft were transferred to other locations.

“Three were taken to west coast squadrons and the rest went to higher echelon maintenance in order to be transferred to other (Marine Aircraft Wings),” Wilk explained.

As for the Marines of HMM-162, many will transition to the Osprey program while others get transferred to another CH-46E squadron.

“Every Marine in the unit will be executing orders December 9,” said Diehl. “Half of them will go to (Marine Medium Tiltrotor Training Squadron-204) to transition to the Osprey program.”

Diehl said serving as the commanding officer of HMM-162 and being forward deployed with his Marines has been a great honor.

“I ask these Marines to continue to perform their duties in the future as honorably and professionally as they have in the last eighteen months,” Diehl said.

That should shed some light to it. Ill let some of the Phrog guys come and give actual facts and Fleet Gouge on the Osprey.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i saw a shіtload of them parked at New River when i flew over a couple weeks ago

the following is just FYI ... has "Skidkid's" name written all over it :)

R 121000Z DEC 05
FM CMC WASHINGTON DC(UC)
TO AL MARADMIN(UC)
UNCLASSIFIED
MARADMIN 585/05
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC AVN//
SUBJ/RESCHEDULE OF MV-22 PILOT TRANSITION BOARD CONVENE DATE//
REF/A/MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC AVN/041648ZAUG2005//
REF/B/DOC/MCO 1331.2K/-/19960722//
REF/C/DOC/MCO P1300.8R CH 1-8/-/19940904//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. DEPUTY COMMANDANT FOR AVIATION HAS RESCHEDULED
THE MV-22 PILOT TRANSITION BOARD ANNOUNCED IN REF A TO ALLOW TIME
FOR STAFFING OF ADDITIONAL APPLICANT SUBMISSIONS VIA MAW
COMMANDERS. THE BOARD WILL NOW MEET 0800 ON 24 JAN 06 IN BOARD
ROOM E, BLDG 2008 ON QUANTICO. CMC (ASM) WILL CONTINUE TO ACCEPT
APPLICATIONS WITH ENDORSEMENTS THROUGH COB 11 JAN 06 FOR THIS
BOARD. FAXED AND SCANNED COPIES WILL CONTINUE TO BE ACCEPTED.
SIGNED ORIGINAL PACKAGES MUST BE RECEIVED BY DC AVIATION (ASM)
PRIOR TO MMOA-2 ASSIGNMENT. THE INTENT AND ALL OTHER GUIDANCE
PROVIDED IN THE REFS REMAIN IN EFFECT FOR THIS BOARD. ALL
APPLICANTS WILL BE GIVEN THE UTMOST CONSIDERATION.
2. ENDORSED APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE EXPEDITED TO CMC (ASM) VIA
FEDERAL EXPRESS AT THE ADDRESS NOTED BELOW. USPS IS NOT
RECOMMENDED.
FOR FEDEX HAND CARRY, MAIL TO:
COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS
HEADQUARTERS U.S. MARINE CORPS (AVN/ASM-31)
3000 MARINE CORPS PENTAGON
DEPARTMENT OF AVIATION, RM 5E527
WASHINGTON, DC 20350-3000
3. POC: LTCOL C.D. TAYLOR, DSN 223-9874/COMM (703)693-9874 OR
(703)614-1556/ 1392, OR VIA EMAIL AT TAYLORCD@HQMC.USMC.MIL
HQMC (ASM) FAX: DSN 224-1309, COMM (703) 614-1309.
4. THIS MARADMIN IS NOT APPLICABLE TO THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE.
5. THIS MARADMIN IS CANCELLED 01 JUL 06.//

Lawman

None
skidkid said:
That is so cold man, oh by the way it is open to F/W guys too.

C'mon Skid, maybe its time to trade that Harley in for the Family SUV.

Just kiding man, I know your chomping at the bit for those Zulu's. Then again, why wouldnt you be, that things hot.

Attachments

• New Recruits.jpg
    New Recruits.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 208

thatgnarlyguy

good day

I watched our f-15's take off.. then I saw a Russian C-5 parked at the airport(i think its their version) and finally that v-22 fly overhead.
the osprey looked really cool, it flew over at a real slow speed so i got a good glimpse.

Lawman

None
illinijoe05 said:
any idea when the navy is going to get their ospreys? and when the track will open for sna's?

From a Boeing press release

First Block B V-22 Osprey delivered to U.S. Marine Corps
The Bell-Boeing joint venture Thursday delivered the first Block B version of the V-22 Osprey to the U.S. Marine Corps during a ceremony at Bell's manufacturing facility in Amarillo, Texas. The Block B aircraft has software upgrades, reliability and maintainability improvements over existing V-22 aircraft. Boeing is responsible for the fuselage and all subsystems, digital avionics and fly-by-wire flight-control systems.

"The Osprey remains at the very soul of our Corps' ability to fight future conflicts across a widely disbursed battlefield," said Lt. Gen. Jim Amos, commanding general, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force. "Our Ospreys will operate in the enemy's backyard; they will do it quickly and quietly. And when they come, they will deliver the deadliest of weapon systems – United States Marines."

John Lockard, vice president and general manager for Boeing Naval Systems, said the delivery was another significant milestone in providing a much-needed capability to the Marines.

"The V-22 is revolutionary in terms of the capabilities it brings to the warfighter, yet today's success is attributed to the age-old virtues of commitment and teamwork – between the Marine Corps, Bell and Boeing," Lockard said.

"This is not only the first V-22 that will go to a combat unit, but also the 19th V-22 we have delivered this year," added Bell Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer John Bean. "One year ago, Bell-Boeing committed to delivering 19 Ospreys in 2005. Today we delivered on that commitment."

Bell-Boeing was granted approval for full-rate production of the V-22 Osprey by the U.S. Department of Defense in September. Current plans include the delivery of 360 aircraft to the Marine Corps, 50 for the U.S. Air Force and 48 for the U.S. Navy.

With FRP, the U.S. government has authorized Bell (a Textron company) and Boeing to increase current low-rate production of 11 aircraft per year up to 48. The FRP decision by the Defense Acquisition Board followed the successful completion of extensive Operational Evaluation testing, conducted last summer by the Marine Corps.

The V-22's revolutionary tiltrotor technology combines fixed-wing airplane and vertical-lift capabilities into one aircraft that can take off and land like a helicopter and fly like an airplane. It provides military customers with significant improvements in combat capabilities – including speeds and range two to three times more than that of conventional helicopters, as well as increased payloads, survivability and reliability.

Its gonna be a while.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Heard something about a large budget cut that will slow / decrease the delivery timetable for the MV-22

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Lawman said:
‘Golden Eagles’ Become 2nd to House New MV-22 Osprey

(Source: US Marine Corps; issued Dec. 6, 2005)

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C. --- The Marines of Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron-162 will depart for new skies as the “Golden Eagles” become the second squadron to transition to the Osprey.

The Golden Eagles will stand-down and case their colors during a ceremony in the squadron hangar Friday at 3 p.m.

“It’ll be very similar to a change of command ceremony, but instead of passing the colors to the incoming (commanding officer) the sergeant major and I will be casing them until 162 stands up as (Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron-162) next November,” said Lt. Col. Kurt Diehl, HMM-162 CO.

According to Capt. Trevor A. Wilk, HMM-162 unit information officer, all 12 of the squadron’s CH-46E aircraft were transferred to other locations.

“Three were taken to west coast squadrons and the rest went to higher echelon maintenance in order to be transferred to other (Marine Aircraft Wings),” Wilk explained.

As for the Marines of HMM-162, many will transition to the Osprey program while others get transferred to another CH-46E squadron.

“Every Marine in the unit will be executing orders December 9,” said Diehl. “Half of them will go to (Marine Medium Tiltrotor Training Squadron-204) to transition to the Osprey program.”

Diehl said serving as the commanding officer of HMM-162 and being forward deployed with his Marines has been a great honor.

“I ask these Marines to continue to perform their duties in the future as honorably and professionally as they have in the last eighteen months,” Diehl said.

That should shed some light to it. Ill let some of the Phrog guys come and give actual facts and Fleet Gouge on the Osprey.

Man I was winged with Kurt Diehl - too funny.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy V-22?

illinijoe05 said:
any idea when the navy is going to get their ospreys? and when the track will open for sna's?

Priority for V-22 production is for USMC to replace their aging CH-46 with MV-22 and the USAF SOF community to replace their aging MH-53 Pave Low airframes. Some briefs include a Navy V-22 (could be SAR or VERTREP asset or even a tanker as some have proposed), but I wouldn't put it on my preference card quite yet. Program office (PMA-275) is in NAVAIR, but it is a USMC/USAF affair right now.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Some briefs include a Navy V-22 (could be SAR or VERTREP asset or even a tanker as some have proposed), but I wouldn't put it on my preference card quite yet. Program office (PMA-275) is in NAVAIR, but it is a USMC/USAF affair right now.
Can anyone speak to the proposed role of an ASW V-22 (dets? the carrier? small boys?)? I had read that it was an idea a LONG time ago, but had faded. It just occured to me in the context of the P-3s getting old, the MMA/P-8 being uncertain, and the -60s being a shorter-range, non-loitering asset.