• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey?

thepilot33

MV-22 Select Pipeline

This post is to shed some light on the training pipeline for all MV-22 selects out of a primary squadron:

I am a MV-22 select out of primary and will finish my advanced multi curriculum in about a week. All MV-22 selects out of primary start their training in VT-35 and fly the C-12, only the KC-130 Marines fly the T-44 in VT-31. This is a good deal though because C-12s are King Air 200s and are a bigger aircraft then the T-44, which is a King Air 90. Additionally the C-12 is a 12,500-pound aircraft and upon completion of the program you can get a type rating in this plane. The multi program is about 5 months long and covers contacts, 3 BI sims, an instrument portion which, upon completion designates you as a military instrument rated pilot, and a combination of tactical formation and low level flights. Once VT-35 complete 22 students will PCS to Whiting Field for 3-4 months of helicopter training. All MV-22 selects are going to HT-8 as of now, but I was told that this might change quite soon. I am not completely up to speed on the helicopter curriculum, but I know it entails contacts, NVGs, low levels, and maybe more. 22 students are winged out of helicopter training and not the advanced multi portion of training. The Commodore of Training Wing 4 said that this is currently being debated, as many believe that 22 students should be wing at the end of the multi training. From helicopter training 22 students go to VMMT-204. 204 is the Osprey RAG and is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 months long. There are two squadrons at MCAS New River that have already stood down, HMM-263 and HMM-162. HMM-263 officially stood down 3 June 2005 and is expected to be re-designated VMM-263, and stand up the first week in March of 2006 as the first operational MV-22 squadron. HMM-162 officially stood down 9 December 2005 and is expected to be re-designated VMM-162, and stand up the first week in September of 2006 as the second operational MV-22 squadron. Having said all that I feel that the Osprey will be an awesome aircraft to fly. Three of my fellow Marine Ospreys buddies and myself had the opportunity to fly a C-12 up to Amarillo, TX to the Osprey plant. We meet up with a Marine Major who gave us a tour of the plant where all Ospreys are built. Absolutely amazing how it is assembled and the aircraft in its self is so technologically advanced that it almost makes modern commercial airliners look obsolete. I was the 12th flight student selected out of primary back in June of 05 and as of now I believe that, that number stands at 20. The slots are there, however they are hit and miss and show no consistency from week to week. If any of you out there that read this post are considering Ospreys but are concerned about how little is know about them and the uncertainty of the program or your career path as a 22 pilot, you should reconsider those doubts.

Lawman

None
Ive got one, when you figure in your required time of service after training do they use Rotory or Fixed wing requirements?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
thepilot33 said:
Anyone with questions just ask...I will do my best to answer them or find someone who can.

Excellent excellent gouge! Rep points for that one!

FLY_USMC

pilot
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't military KA-200's the only 200 to require a type rating(ie over 12,500?)

Last but not least, got a brief not too long ago for you Osprey hopefuls that if you plan on putting Osprey's #1, it's a good idea to let someone in your chain(we have flight commanders) know and they'll pass on the info to quote, "get the ball rolling." Infer from that what you'd like.

thepilot33

I have not been able to get a straight answer on whether or not our obligation will be a 6 or 8 year one. Anyone with credible knowledge on this topic please let me know. When I mentioned the type rating I was strictly speaking from a civilian commercial pilot perspective, after all I still have about 4 months until I have earned the gold pilot licenses.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
thepilot33, this is one of the best posts I've seen in years on this site. Good on ya for explaining the new process. Please keep us posted. Rep this man!

I will take exception to this statement:

thepilot33 said:
This is a good deal though because C-12s are King Air 200s and are a bigger aircraft then the T-44, which is a King Air 90.

If you're saying this is a good deal because you get the type rating, cool, I get it.

IF, and only IF, you are stating this somehow makes for a better training experience, I'll adamantly disagree. For those of you about to get tossed into the hopper for -31 or -35, this makes no difference. The weight issue is negligible.

thepilot33

Nope not speaking from a training perspective at all. Just speaking to the fact that I can throw the old type rating on my commercial pilots licenses, that’s all.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Do a search it's on here

See my earlier reference to USMC Aviation campaign plan. It delineates when each squadron transitions.