• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orion Obsession; giving it up for the mighty P-3C

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
How many days of planning were required to get those two planes that dangerously close to each other? I'm genuinely surprised some skipper had the balls to do it considering what a complete pansy ass risk adverse community we've become.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
On deployment we did something similar for a new book coming out for the centennial of naval aviation. We had an EP-3 and P-3 "form up" on us so we could get some in-flight shots that turned out amazingly well. I don't know about the behind the scenes stuff, but we briefed it up the day of and it was no big deal. Pretty fun, too.

IRfly

None
How many days of planning were required to get those two planes that dangerously close to each other? I'm genuinely surprised some skipper had the balls to do it considering what a complete pansy ass risk adverse community we've become.

I'm sure that there were at least 6 ORM briefs going all the way up to flag level. And I bet they had to do a purple.

H60Gunner

Contributor
I'm sure that there were at least 6 ORM briefs going all the way up to flag level. And I bet they had to do a purple.

Those are JMSDF P-3s. Dunno if they really give a crap about ORM. Or maybe they have kept some of the warrior spirit.

Is it really that bad in the community now? Serious? I guess I don't want to know specifics because of OPSEC, but pullin' g's on a harpoon shot or yankin' her around into a MAD hunting circle used to be no big deal.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Is it really that bad in the community now? Serious?

Case in point: we had a guy fail his PPC check ride because he came back to the field VFR from the warning area. Never broke any rules, was completely safe the entire time, but failed the check ride because it was "different". Maybe a check ride isn't the time to be different but the implication is that what he did was unsafe. We are the community that considers VFR flight unsafe, it's that bad.

IRfly

None
Those are JMSDF P-3s. Dunno if they really give a crap about ORM. Or maybe they have kept some of the warrior spirit.

Is it really that bad in the community now? Serious? I guess I don't want to know specifics because of OPSEC, but pullin' g's on a harpoon shot or yankin' her around into a MAD hunting circle used to be no big deal.

In a word, yes.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Case in point: we had a guy fail his PPC check ride because he came back to the field VFR from the warning area. Never broke any rules, was completely safe the entire time, but failed the check ride because it was "different". Maybe a check ride isn't the time to be different but the implication is that what he did was unsafe. We are the community that considers VFR flight unsafe, it's that bad.

Why then do I hear on a daily basis NUW based P-3s getting cleared "VFR to the straits"? That's usually right before they come back and knock the shortfield arresting gear out of battery....

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Why then do I hear on a daily basis NUW based P-3s getting cleared "VFR to the straits"? That's usually right before they come back and knock the shortfield arresting gear out of battery....

That might be some kind of deception/secret wink/running joke with the P-3 guys to annoy all the Prowler guys. Sorta like helicopter guys beeping back their speed in a GCA pattern when they know a fixed wing is behind them. :)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
They've been talking about GPS buoys for awhile, but no one seems to know what's really going on or what the final word is. I agree, if we're going to be flying higher we'll definitely need a better way to maintain the plot stab.

As for NUW P-3s, we do VFR a decent amount of time and we've certainly talked about it during pilot meetings. The phrase "VFR to the straights" is mainly for FCFs or pilot trainers where we literally take off and go straight over the water. I've been on some other flights were the PPC elected to go VFR while transiting up Puget Sound (and past Seattle). It might be a command mentality, too to not go VFR which is really unfortunate. It does say in 3710 to file IFR to the max extent possible, but VFR is great practice and is one of those things that really makes aviation what it is.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor

That might be some kind of deception/secret wink/running joke with the P-3 guys to annoy all the Prowler guys. Sorta like helicopter guys beeping back their speed in a GCA pattern when they know a fixed wing is behind them. :)
I can neither confirm nor deny this but I've heard this as a running joke with many P3 bubbas. Sometimes life is just one huge joke. Sorry, back to my corner now.